Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Looking for opinions - sleep study interpretation
Looking for opinions - sleep study interpretation
Hi all, first time posting here.

I had an at-home sleep study done back in March that showed had these results:

AHI 3 per hour (24 total events, 3.7 at per hour in REM)
RDI 9.7 per hour (77 total, 16 per hour in REM)
ODI 1.4 per hour (11 total events)

Mean oxygen was 97%. The wake / sleep stages were very fragmented. 

I'm a 27 year old male but have had bruxism for many years and a history of fatigue and TMJ/chronic pain ever since I developed an open bite at the age of 19. 

I saw an ENT doctor this week for the first time and found out that have a deviated septum and enlarged turbinates. He was the one who pointed out that my sleep study results could have some clinical significance (the ordering physician ruled out any breathing related disorder. 

I am following up with a sleep physician in a week but was wondering if anyone could provide some perspective. 

Thanks for the help!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Looking for opinions - sleep study interpretation
Pretty marginal for CPAP treatment, so you will probably be offered some other ideas like sleep position, possible MAD (mandibular advancement device) to help with bruxism and put your jaw in a more favorable position to prevent obstruction. A lot will depend on your history and how you are feeling in terms of sleepiness, fatigue, snoring, and other functional measures. You may be a candidate for future follow-up.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I agree, it looks like the normal range other than the RDI.  I don't recall what the normal range is for that, might be the same as AHI.  That might indicate UARS (Upper Airway Resistance Syndrome).  Not many doctors seem to know much about that and it seems difficult to treat other than by trial and error.

What is your sleep like?  Do you have sleep maintenance insomnia (e.g. go to sleep OK but keep waking up)?  That would explain the higher RDI.

I have had my septum straightened and turbinates given nice trim.  It has made daytime breathing much better and I can use a nasal mask without a Breathe-Right strip at night.  I can't say that it has improved my sleep otherwise.  But given the benefits, I don't regret it for a second.

In addition to Sleeprider's suggestions, you might also try a soft cervical collar to see if chin tucking is causing problems for you.  Many of us are notorious chin tuckers and doing so constricts your airway.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi bb0490,
WELCOME! to the forum.
Good luck to you on your quest for better sleep.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-31-2017, 09:41 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: Pretty marginal for CPAP treatment, so you will probably be offered some other ideas like sleep position, possible MAD (mandibular advancement device) to help with bruxism and put your jaw in a more favorable position to prevent obstruction.  A lot will depend on your history and how you are feeling in terms of sleepiness, fatigue, snoring, and other functional measures.  You may be a candidate for future follow-up.

One of my issues is that my bruxism combined with an open bite (only my back teeth touch), which causes a lot of TMJ symptoms (muscular pain, jaw/neck pain, headaches). About a week ago I got a new mouthguard designed to distribute the force by having all my teeth hit but it's a big piece of plastic in the front of my mouth that is making it almost impossible to breath through my mouth. It helps with the TMJ but I'm waking up much more fatigued and it only gets worse throughout the day.
Post Reply Post Reply
The RDI is high enough that you could consider a cpap. It MAY eliminate the bruxism which may be caused by the arousals.  However, insurance may not cover.  If that is the case, try a couple of non-machine solutions - sleeping on your side, using risers to raise one side of the bed. You could also consider buying a machine on Craigslist.  See the posts about what to look for.  

My bro also has bruxism issues, but his are primarily due to stress and anxiety.  My late SIL had many health issues. Now that she's been gone for 3 years, he only has it occasionally due to job issues.  The dental inserts to prevent bruxism can actually cause TMJ which is why I don't recommend them.  TMJ is not covered by many insurers, so you don't want to make that worse.  My bro resisted taking meds (good for him!) and instead started an exercise plan to eliminate some of the stress.  Worked well after several weeks.  I find Tai Chi with relaxing music does the same thing, but I have some limits on my exercise due to leg injury.

This article had some information: Commercial Link Removed.  Instead, do a search for The Bruxism Association

-----
Moderator Action: Link Removed

To maintain our status as an educational organization, the only commercial links allowed in this forum are to CPAP-related manufacturer websites.  This is stated in the Apnea Board Rules with details given in the Commercial Links Policy section.

-----
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the reply. 

I saw the sleep doctor last week and he essentially said the same thing about the bruxism and the arousals. To be honest, I still don't fully understand what RDI means and what the significance is in the whole equation as he seemed more concerned with the AHI although it's technically i in the normal range. However I'm getting an in-lab study done next month and he said if the results are replicated then he would want to treat me for sleep apnea. I'll be doing the sleep study without any night guard, so will be interesting if there are any changes. 

As far as stress relief, I had always been an athlete but over the years my body now doesn't recover well from high intensity exercise so I'm looking to start doing yoga more consistently and have had other recommend Tai Chi.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Apnea has gotten worse recently, I have no sleep study, can I just buy a cpcp? replayablecontent 12 248 03-27-2024, 12:38 PM
Last Post: replayablecontent
  [CPAP] Titration Study liebano 2 79 03-26-2024, 08:18 PM
Last Post: gainerfull
Question [Diagnosis] Home Sleep Study Results & Feedback togapilot 6 535 03-26-2024, 02:36 PM
Last Post: togapilot
  CPAP newbie / OSCAR / study feedback Brad124 4 194 03-23-2024, 08:02 AM
Last Post: Brad124
  New sleep study after 17 years? Jim1952 2 120 03-21-2024, 05:33 PM
Last Post: Jim1952
  New to CPAP Titration Study and OSCAR Data Help Needed slowmoto 2 149 03-20-2024, 01:24 PM
Last Post: slowmoto
  Split night sleep study Bwanajohn51 0 68 03-20-2024, 01:07 PM
Last Post: Bwanajohn51

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.