Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Looking for some help - almost 5 years and not feeling a lot better
RE: Looking for some help - almost 5 years and not feeling a lot better
(10-24-2020, 10:20 AM)Crimson Nape Wrote: I quickly scanned your previous posts and didn't pick up on what your "Trigger" setting is.  If you don't have it set to "Very High", please try that.  I went from moderate CA's on Medium, to a few on High, to no CA's on Very High.
Trigger was set to Medium, as that was a default setting.  Seems like there's possible benefit to a change.

bonjour suggested a reduction in PS from 4 to 3.  Should I also change the trigger sensitivity from Med to High?  Or wait a bit and do the trigger change in a few days?  Experimental method - although slower, would be to change one variable at a time.  I'll do it if you think there's good probability of success, but don't want to muddy anything up.  Please advise.
Post Reply Post Reply
It's your call, but you already have a baseline on the current settings.  If you change the trigger to very high and still have CA's, you then could drop the PS to 3. Also, based on the amount of CA's on your last chart, I would skip the High setting and go directly to the Very High (highest) setting.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I also dropped my PS from 4 to 3.4 as I was seeing too many CA's. Lowering Pressure Support helped a little, but when I changed the Trigger setting to High, the CA's totally disappeared.

As Crimson Nape stated, it's up to you. But if you change both PS and Trigger at the same time, you won't really know which change made the difference.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-24-2020, 10:54 AM)Crimson Nape Wrote: It's your call, but you already have a baseline on the current settings.  If you change the trigger to very high and still have CA's, you then could drop the PS to 3.  Also, based on the amount of CA's on your last chart, I would skip the High setting and go directly to the Very High (highest) setting.
Well, I'm a hurting puppy right now, need a nap bad, so I'm (perhaps foolishly) inclined to change everything and anything to get a little better.  Not sure if that's the right thing to do, however.  56 CA's have clearly clouded my judgement.

Think I'll set PS=3 and trig=High for now.  If someone thinks that's foolish, please pipe up.  There's quite a few hours before bedtime, so lots of time to twiddle stuff, if required.  If you and Fred would agree, it would be very helpful.  Me, for the moment, I'm following your leads.  Although with two different leads, it's a little confusing for this sleep deprived fellow.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-24-2020, 11:05 AM)OpalRose Wrote: I also dropped my PS from 4 to 3.4 as I was seeing too many CA's.  Lowering Pressure Support helped a little, but when I changed the Trigger setting to High, the CA's totally disappeared.

As Crimson Nape stated, it's up to you.  But if you change both PS and Trigger at the same time, you won't really know which change made the difference.

For some reason, didn't see your post.  

That's what I'm afraid of - not knowing what actually helped.  Interesting that the trigger setting helps so much. My sleep addled mind is having a tough time making the call.  So much good advise, with today's impaired judgement, makes it tough for me to choose.  The engineer in me says change only one thing.  So I'll reject changing both at the same time.

So there's two choices, PS, or Trig sensitivity.  It seems you and Crimson Nape are favoring Trig.  bonjour's first statement was to lower PS by a whole point.  How do I pick?  2 vs 1?  First answer?  Most authoritative? (I have no sound basis to know who is the most authoritative here on AB.  I do know everyone is very helpful, but that doesn't answer the question.)  At the moment, I'm clearly babbling, and desperately need some guidance.  I'm ready to toss a coin.
Post Reply Post Reply
I had forgotten about the trigger sensitivity. There is nothing about a trigger sensitivity that should account for a change in central, but it works for many. That is the beauty of this forum. We have discovered many treatments that we had no idea existed.

Try the Trigger sensitivity, but slowly. Try high and then Very High and note how it affects you and choose the best, Med, High, or very high.

It really doesn't matter which you try first, you always know the other is in the wings.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-24-2020, 12:39 PM)bonjour Wrote: I had forgotten about the trigger sensitivity.  There is nothing about a trigger sensitivity that should account for a change in central, but it works for many.  That is the beauty of this forum.  We have discovered many treatments that we had no idea existed.

Try the Trigger sensitivity, but slowly.  Try high and then Very High and note how it affects you and choose the best, Med, High, or very high.

It really doesn't matter which you try first,  you always know the other is in the wings.

True, there's beauty in this forum.  There's so many helpful people here!  I'm really grateful for the help.  No comparison to the "medical establishment", in which one is just a number.

Should I try trigger sensitivity first?  What's your recommendation?  Trig over a couple days, followed by lowering PS to 3?  

My judgement is so clouded from last night's lack of sleep, I really am looking for some guidance.  Today is really so bad that I won't drive, won't go out, won't make any big decisions.  My attention span is terrible today.  I just don't want to have an accident or get hurt.  Usually an AHI of 3 is really debilitating for me.  This 6.97 with no REM sleep is hammering me.
Post Reply Post Reply
Can you provide a zoomed 2 minute view of your Flow Rate? If it is flat topped or looks like a cursive "r" then leave your PS at 4. If it is more of a sine wave pattern, then you can reduce the PS.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-24-2020, 01:34 PM)Crimson Nape Wrote: Can you provide a zoomed 2 minute view of your Flow Rate?  If it is flat topped or looks like a cursive "r" then leave your PS at 4.  If it is more of a sine wave pattern, then you can reduce the PS.
Roughly where should I look?  Between events or near events?  For the most part, the inspiry portion of the flow waveform is rounded.  In between events.

Between CA's

Post Reply Post Reply
For me, I'd keep the PS set at 4. If you are going for a nap, try setting the trigger up and see what the results show. It's not like you can't make adjustments at a latter time.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Apnea Helpful Tips

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New sleep study after 17 years? Jim1952 2 120 03-21-2024, 05:33 PM
Last Post: Jim1952
  Help me tweak some settings. Feeling tired again! dexterloki 6 259 03-14-2024, 09:00 PM
Last Post: dexterloki
  25 years of cpap, and still not working good Johan van der veen 2 178 03-08-2024, 10:15 AM
Last Post: Johan van der veen
  [Symptoms] CPAP(UARS) user 10+ years, still feel terrible DB10 17 1,018 03-05-2024, 09:37 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Question Low AHI for years but tired and low SpO2 spikes down to 85%. Brain MRI abnormal MyronH 4 680 02-25-2024, 11:33 PM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  [Equipment] Not feeling rested/high flow limit on loaner CPAP LazerStallion 5 326 02-25-2024, 05:41 AM
Last Post: LazerStallion
Gross [Treatment] Waking up frequently and not feeling rested snoor 3 308 02-21-2024, 11:27 AM
Last Post: snoor

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.