Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Looking for some help - almost 5 years and not feeling a lot better
RE: Looking for some help - almost 5 years and not feeling a lot better
(10-24-2020, 02:02 PM)Crimson Nape Wrote: For me, I'd keep the PS set at 4.  If you are going for a nap, try setting the trigger up and see what the results show.  It's not like you can't make adjustments at a latter time.
Thanks.  At least on this machine there are several adjustments to make that can help.  As they say, there's more knobs to twiddle.

Set up to PS=4, Trig=High.  

Just don't want to take a nap.  Naps mess up my sleep schedule.  Going to tough out the day.  Tomorrow will be better...
Post Reply Post Reply
No reason to take a nap if your not tired. You probably wouldn't sleep anyway, so the results wouldn't be that accurate.

Use those settings tonight (PS=4, Trigger=High) and try to get a good night's rest. You are using a great machine, and know that you can tweak the Pressure Support and/or Trigger setting if needed.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-24-2020, 03:24 PM)OpalRose Wrote: No reason to take a nap if your not tired.  You probably wouldn't sleep anyway, so the results wouldn't be that accurate.  

Use those settings tonight (PS=4, Trigger=High) and try to get a good night's rest.  You are using a great machine, and know that you can tweak the Pressure Support and/or Trigger setting if needed.
I'm actually quite tired.  Worried about the nap being 4+ hours - that would mess up my sleep schedule.  (It's happened, that's why I try not to do naps.)  So I'll push myself as long as possible to stay up.

Thanks for your encouraging words, it's really helpful to me now.
Post Reply Post Reply
Last night was a little better.  Still dominated by CA's.  I woke up after 2.5 hours with an odd sensation.  Not sure, but might have been slightly wrapped in my hose!  All I remember is doing something with the hose and getting it away from my neck.  At the moment, and not totally in my senses, I played with some settings.  For some reason the machine came on as I was trying to make changes.  First time, I changed the Trig=Very High.  That didn't feel right to me, so I changed it back to High.  Then for some odd reason, I changed the PS=3.  That didn't feel good either.  Finally left it at PS=3.6 and Trig=High for the rest of the evening.  If I remove the huge SWJ cluster at 01:03 - 01:16, then the AHI = 2.29.  I realize changing things in the middle of night isn't the best idea, and I'll try to restrain myself in the future, but at that moment in time it seemed to be a good idea.

Still feel unrested, but not quite as devastated as yesterday.  So that's a small amount of progress.  Also, not sure if this is quite real, but there seems to be regions of elevated respiration rate, which might indicate deeper stages of sleep.  The first night contained none of these regions.

I am wearing a soft collar.  I also have two pillows which help with GERD, but not so much with chin tuck when I slide off the pillows in the evening.  (Sliding off the pillows seems to happen every evening.)  I used to take ranitidine, but that's out now due to carcinogenic contaminants.  Does anyone have some suggestions that might help a bit with both GERD and apnea?  At one time I tried tilting the whole bed slightly, but all that resulted was me sliding off the end of the bed!  Maybe try a single pillow with a folded up towel underneath?  The way I had the pillows was I was using it as a way to 1 elevate my head, and 2 to have my head rock backwards, as to open up my airway.   If the formatting makes it through, I have one flat pillow ___ and one tilted resting on the flat one \.  My neck rests on the top of the \ and head is on the __.  Does that make sense?  
  o--
__\

Interpreting this data is tough for me.  Not quite sure what to look for.  

Any questions or therapeutic recommendations for me?

Post Reply Post Reply
Basically you lowered your CA's form being 6.29 to 2.95. I would deem that an improvement. In order to let your body acclimate to these settings, I am requesting that you not touch any setting for the next 3 days. CPAP therapy adjustments do not always produce an immediate change.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
[quote='happydreams' pid='371265' dateline='1603635808']
I am wearing a soft collar.  I also have two pillows which help with GERD, but not so much with chin tuck when I slide off the pillows in the evening.  (Sliding off the pillows seems to happen every evening.)

It's best to use one pillow, but could be tricky when you suffer with GERD.  A flatter pillow is best to stop chin tucking, but yet you should be a bit elevated to help with GERD.  Sliding off the pillows would suggest your pillows are too high?

Does anyone have some suggestions that might help a bit with both GERD and apnea? 

I assume your doctor has given you some medication like an antacid to help, if not, ask him.  Keep a consistent sleep hygiene schedule, like going to bed approximately the same time, not eating or drinking close to bedtime, etc.

At one time I tried tilting the whole bed slightly, but all that resulted was me sliding off the end of the bed!

Lolabove   I laugh because that's happened to me.  Anyway, Do you have an adjustable bed, or are you just raising the head of the bed by another means?  It's not necessary to raise the head of the bed by much, maybe 3-4", but at the same time (for comfort and not to slide down) the bottom of the bed should be raised by a couple inches, or place a small cushion under your legs.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-25-2020, 09:41 AM)Crimson Nape Wrote: Basically you lowered your CA's form being 6.29 to 2.95.  I would deem that an improvement.  In order to let your body acclimate to these settings, I am requesting that you not touch any setting for the next 3 days.  CPAP therapy adjustments do not always produce an immediate change.
There has been some improvement.  (Outrageously bad to just bad, in terms of how I feel.)  I will leave the adjustments alone for 3 days.

I felt a little starved for air after the last restart around 00:50:35.  It was like the machine wasn't supplying enough air.  IPAP=10.02/EPAP=6.42.  Within 5 seconds I had flow limits.  After the machine increased the pressure, things were better.  During this time I was awake.

Although I understand this is a process, it is hard being patient...  

I am open to suggestions for head and neck support for GERD and post nasal issues.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-25-2020, 10:22 AM)OpalRose Wrote:
(10-25-2020, 09:23 AM)happydreams Wrote: I am wearing a soft collar.  I also have two pillows which help with GERD, but not so much with chin tuck when I slide off the pillows in the evening.  (Sliding off the pillows seems to happen every evening.)

It's best to use one pillow, but could be tricky when you suffer with GERD.  A flatter pillow is best to stop chin tucking, but yet you should be a bit elevated to help with GERD.  Sliding off the pillows would suggest your pillows are too high?

Does anyone have some suggestions that might help a bit with both GERD and apnea? 

I assume your doctor has given you some medication like an antacid to help, if not, ask him.  Keep a consistent sleep hygiene schedule, like going to bed approximately the same time, not eating or drinking close to bedtime, etc.

At one time I tried tilting the whole bed slightly, but all that resulted was me sliding off the end of the bed!

Lolabove   I laugh because that's happened to me.  Anyway, Do you have an adjustable bed, or are you just raising the head of the bed by another means?  It's not necessary to raise the head of the bed by much, maybe 3-4", but at the same time (for comfort and not to slide down) the bottom of the bed should be raised by a couple inches, or place a small cushion under your legs.
Guess the pillow arrangement is a little high, I'm going to try something different tonight.

My go to, recommended my doctor, was ranitidine.  It was effective, apparently it was also contaminated by carcinogens.  My doc did not recommend proton pump type medications for long term use.  I'll ask him if there are any recommendations for GERD medications these days.  I haven't taken antacids, mostly since the calcium interferes with the doxycycline I'm taking for dry eye.  My eye doctor is 99% sure the dry eye is due to mask leaks near the bridge of my nose.  Jeepers, things are more complicated than they have rights to be!  To reply directly to the sleep hygiene schedule, I'm pretty good about that.  Don't eat near bedtime at all, and try to minimize fluids in the evening as well.  

Yes, it was kind of funny sliding off the end of the bed!  Don't blame you for laughing at all.  I just used a few bricks at the head of the bed under the legs.  Didn't want to go very high as it's a normal bed which is not designed to be tilted.  I wasn't using silk sheets, just ordinary cotton, but  found my feet hanging off the end more than once.  Since I was sliding off a lot, I gave up on the bed tilt idea.  Wedge pillows, were the same, slid right down them.  Apparently I move during my sleep, and gravity takes care of the rest...

I'll try a slightly elevated single pillow...  Pillow on a flat folded towel?  If it's relevant, I'm using Ghost pillows.  I find them pretty comfy.
Post Reply Post Reply
GERD and apnea, if you can sleep on the side, choose your left side down. Or use a wedge like pillow/cushion to prop the head of the mattress up a bit. I have GERD bad at times and have medication to take for it. I also sometimes need Mylanta or generic to take or Tums Ultra 1000 or generic at the Dollar General, etc. I chew about 4 of the 1000s if it acts up. Or more. Yes that's a lot. My bariatric surgeon is likely to bring me in for a diagnostic EGD probably next year after I arrange for poor person payment plan as it all won't be covered. Likely I'll need a hiatal hernia surgery.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-25-2020, 07:49 PM)SarcasticDave94 Wrote: GERD and apnea, if you can sleep on the side, choose your left side down. Or use a wedge like pillow/cushion to prop the head of the mattress up a bit. I have GERD bad at times and have medication to take for it. I also sometimes need Mylanta or generic to take or Tums Ultra 1000 or generic at the Dollar General, etc. I chew about 4 of the 1000s if it acts up. Or more. Yes that's a lot. My bariatric surgeon is likely to bring me in for a diagnostic EGD probably next year after I arrange for poor person payment plan as it all won't be covered. Likely I'll need a hiatal hernia surgery.
All good advice.  If I'm on my side, heart side down works best, flip side is not so good.  

For some reason, I keep sliding down the wedges and even slightly inclined beds.  It's kind of comical actually.  In less than 20 minutes (so it seems) I manage to slide down the incline.  This is even with flannel sheets.  Been thinking about velcro - but not really.  Can't see myself doing a Dave Letterman velcro trick.  I'd never be able to get out of bed!  Velcro Man

Calcium (and probably magnesium) are out in the evening, as I take doxycycline for my dry eyes.  I have a form of optical rosacea, which is aggravated by the constant flow of leaks from my mask, according to my eye doctor.  He's coincidentally a hose head, but uses a nasal mask.  Calcium interferes with the doxy uptake.  So no tums for me.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New sleep study after 17 years? Jim1952 2 118 03-21-2024, 05:33 PM
Last Post: Jim1952
  Help me tweak some settings. Feeling tired again! dexterloki 6 256 03-14-2024, 09:00 PM
Last Post: dexterloki
  25 years of cpap, and still not working good Johan van der veen 2 176 03-08-2024, 10:15 AM
Last Post: Johan van der veen
  [Symptoms] CPAP(UARS) user 10+ years, still feel terrible DB10 17 1,013 03-05-2024, 09:37 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Question Low AHI for years but tired and low SpO2 spikes down to 85%. Brain MRI abnormal MyronH 4 678 02-25-2024, 11:33 PM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  [Equipment] Not feeling rested/high flow limit on loaner CPAP LazerStallion 5 325 02-25-2024, 05:41 AM
Last Post: LazerStallion
Gross [Treatment] Waking up frequently and not feeling rested snoor 3 306 02-21-2024, 11:27 AM
Last Post: snoor

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.