Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Looking for some help - almost 5 years and not feeling a lot better
RE: Looking for some help - almost 5 years and not feeling a lot better
That's my understanding of the settings as was mentioned by Crimson Nape. I've yet to use any of these as my ASV does not have these. However, an AVAPS mode machine should have something similar, and I'm attempting to learn similar time control concepts, and again, so far it lines up with what I'm seeing.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Ok.  So to put some numbers to this... My median BPM = 17.5.
At 17.5 BPM, that gives us 3.43 sec per breath.  I just measured a single (median) cycle and found I=1.26 s, E = 2.146 s, this is a ratio of 1:1.7

My awake respiration is about 8.5 BPM.  That is about 7.1 sec per breath.  Rough I/E = 1.4  I=3.04 s, E=4.22 s
Dreaming/higher BPM is about 23 BPM or 2.6 sec per breath.  I/E=1:1.07                           I=1.35 s, E=1.45 s

Which breathing rate is used?  There are 3.  Awake, median rate, or higher dreaming(?) state.  Thinking out loud, probably not trying to optimize awake state.  So that leaves median and faster rate.

For a sleepy person, (raises his hand,) this isn't making too much sense.  I thought I understood this (for a moment) but not any more.  

Looking at the table on pg.6, I'd just guess TiMin= 0.7, TiMax =2.4, as it seems to bracket my respiration rates.  Still clueless on cycle.  I understand the description, BUT, I don't actually know which direction would make sense to try.  If I want inspiration slightly longer I would use Low, vs. the Medium setting I have.  Question is do I want longer inspiration, or shorter?  I lack the experience to judge this.  In over my head now...
Post Reply Post Reply
Normally, sleep breathing rate should be slower and more consistent than wake breathing. I'd focus on your median number. And the I:E ratio should be close to 1:2 as in exhale takes twice as long as inhale. For some reason, your breath rate is on the faster side, so take that into account. For a comparison, my breath rate that the ASV records can be 8-10, with a few times up to 12 but it's rare. So my breath rate is a lot slower than yours.

Adding my recent 90 min "nap" in the middle of the night on the ASV. My sleep efficiency is in the toilet right now, as I'm in a fight to get a replacement machine. For compare/contrast purposes. And note that my therapy pressures are via the doctor.

[attachment=27921]
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Don't know if normal breathing applies to me...  If everything was normal, well, maybe I wouldn't even have apnea. 

I'm surprised to learn median sleep respiration rate is supposed to be lower than awake.  Maybe I calm down when I put on the mask.  (Is that anti-anxiety?)   My initial respiration rate seems to be lower than the median, as I transition to sleep, my respiration rate increases.

It seems when at rest my respiration rate is lower and deeper.  And at night during median sleep it is faster and shallower.  Having measured it, my heart rate does decrease when asleep, like one would expect.

My I/E is less than 1:2, last night near 03:33, it measures 1.375/1.881 which according to my calculator is 1:1.37.  
The measurement was taken during median respiration on a single cycle over the whole screen.  Whether this cycle was totally representative, hard for me to tell.  Maybe I need more pressure support to help increase exhalation time.

All this being said, last night was slightly worse than previous.  Started out with a headache this morning which subsided a bit in a few hours.  Dragging a bit today.

Last night tried.  PS=3.2 over 8.4-13.  Trig=High, TiMin = 0.7 (was 0.3), TiMax = 2.4, Cycle = Med. 
CA/OA/H/UF2 = 2.03/0.63/0/0.25
Night seemed comfortable, did not wake up breathless.

Mask appears to leak some when head moves.  Although there was movement during the night, it seems that most of the movement clearly occurs after the apneic event.  (Getting better at reviewing video...) The movement was not as active as previous nights, which is good.  Mostly a roll (back to side) or minor leg or arm movements - much calmer.  Half the apneic events had no corresponding movement.

There was more clustering last night.  I should have my new soft collar tomorrow.  Maybe my old one isn't offering enough support.

Might try Trig=Very High and Cycle = High.  I think this will maintain inspiry time.  Maybe inspiry time was insufficient at Trig=Very High and Cycle = Medium settings?  All I know is both times I tried Trig=Very High + Cycle=Medium I woke up within an hour or so distressed.

Post Reply Post Reply
On sleep vs wake breathing rates, when you're asleep breathing should be expected to be slower in most cases. Your actions and activity have slowed and the heart and breathing rates tend downward due to lower demands.

If you want to try edits to the trigger and cycle to see what happens, why not. Just follow up with details on whether therapy is getting better or worse for the changes. You may get a solution to pass on to another forum user.

Here's what I see on trigger, is that it's editing the sensitivity of a trigger signaling to the machine to switch to inhale pressure (higher pressure). Cycle is to edit sensitivity to cycle or switch back to exhale pressure (lower pressure). These may tend to help initiate inhale or exhale actions. So with trigger being more sensitive, it should trigger inhale quicker or more likely to trigger with less inhale indications. Then a similar cycle setting of being more sensitive, it also should more readily switch to exhale even if less exhale signaling is present.
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm interested in your Flow Rate waveform. Can you provide a 2-minute snapshot, preferably near the middle of the night?
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Crimson Nape said, "I'm interested in your Flow Rate waveform. Can you provide a 2-minute snapshot, preferably near the middle of the night?"  

Here is a 2 minute snapshot around 3:30am.  Closest apneas are 25 minutes away.  (However, there was a 2 minute arousal event at 3:25am with no flow limit, no apnea.  Body movement was after arousal.)

Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks, but I was wanting a 2-minute screenshot of the complete (normal screen area) Daily Screen. I am wanting to see how the other parameters are responding for the same period.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Oh.  Here's all of it.

Post Reply Post Reply
My thought is to set your Cycle to "Low".  This should extend your inhalation time, rounding your peak inhale waveform and hopefully allowing for more O2 saturation.  This might reduce your headaches.

For what it's worth; I'm going to try different settings of the Cycle, just to see how much of an impact this parameter has.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Apnea Helpful Tips

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New sleep study after 17 years? Jim1952 2 118 03-21-2024, 05:33 PM
Last Post: Jim1952
  Help me tweak some settings. Feeling tired again! dexterloki 6 256 03-14-2024, 09:00 PM
Last Post: dexterloki
  25 years of cpap, and still not working good Johan van der veen 2 176 03-08-2024, 10:15 AM
Last Post: Johan van der veen
  [Symptoms] CPAP(UARS) user 10+ years, still feel terrible DB10 17 1,013 03-05-2024, 09:37 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Question Low AHI for years but tired and low SpO2 spikes down to 85%. Brain MRI abnormal MyronH 4 678 02-25-2024, 11:33 PM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  [Equipment] Not feeling rested/high flow limit on loaner CPAP LazerStallion 5 325 02-25-2024, 05:41 AM
Last Post: LazerStallion
Gross [Treatment] Waking up frequently and not feeling rested snoor 3 306 02-21-2024, 11:27 AM
Last Post: snoor

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.