Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Looking for tips how to sleep with CPAP machine
RE: Looking for tips how to sleep with CPAP machine
Mr. Dan'l can be the sandman's helper when trying to quiet down anxiety and get acclimated to the mask pressure. So it makes apnea temporarily worse, you're on the machine and it'll make up for that. It's no different than any other OTC sleep aid. Most don't need that but for those who do, I say use whatever works.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-22-2015, 12:59 PM)surferdude2 Wrote: Another thing that helps some is to have some background noise or whatever that drowns out the sound of your breathing. They have noise generator machines with a selection of pleasant sounds that are intended to relax you and make you sleepy. Walmart sells them as do others. Normal price < $30. I have a clock radio with that feature built in that plays the sound for one hour and then shuts off. It helped me a great deal when first starting this therapy.

iTunes has some free white noise apps that are excellent. I have a large bedroom with slanted ceilings on one side -- if I point the speaker in a particular direction the noises (especially the waves and the birds singing in the rain) sound genuine with the sound being distributed throughout the room. Try it - they are amazing.
Post Reply Post Reply
I've used a freebie from the internet for a time or two when I wanted one to run all night. It has several versions available...Listen Here.
Post Reply Post Reply
Sad[quote='jason0923' pid='97803' dateline='1421935154']

I can oh so well sympathise!!! Tonight is my third night and last night I managed to get a little bit of sleep (none the previous night). What has helped so far is 1. One of those flight eye masks to cut back on the light from the machine (worn under the straps) and 2. Using neckband earphones (used back to front) to play a portable CD player(audio book or soothing sounds like sea waves or rain). The sound will mask the machine sound and the CD player switches itself off when the CD has finished. 3. I have placed tape over the mouth so it will stay shut. 4. I have also used the machine prior going to bed an for a couple of hours during the day if it is possible to get used to it. Every little bit helped, but I am desperate for some decent sleep. Good luckOh-jeezOh-jeez
Post Reply Post Reply
It depends on what is bothering you. If the sensation of breathing against pressure use the Aflex settings to cure that problem.

If its a feeling of smothering slightly raise your min pressure a bit until you feel you are "getting enough air".

If its the machine noise or sound of your own breathing just have to get used to that.

If the mask is hurting you, spewing leaks, uncomfortable then eh hemmm try the Eson nasal instead of the Comfort blue LOL.
Seriously the mask and making sure you dont feel smothered are 90 percent of the battle.

Im going to take a wild flying goose guess and assume they gave you the machine with it set wide open with a min of 4 cm and max of 20.

I dont know to many people that can tolerate a min of 4cm pressure without feeling like they are smothered with a pillow. Usually six is the min most can tolerate and feel they are getting enough air. I have to have 8
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Feel like my CPAP machine is killing me jimbob123 1 86 Yesterday, 05:42 AM
Last Post: Rich66
  ASV settings and tips jcp519 43 1,345 03-26-2024, 03:19 AM
Last Post: stevew168
Question [Diagnosis] First post-CPAP visit to Sleep Doc - What to talk about? FlyAU98 6 186 03-23-2024, 09:08 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  Needing help fixing my sleep with cpap nunogarcia 2 156 03-22-2024, 09:04 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  Need help new on CPAP machine Jimasripper 10 298 03-22-2024, 03:08 PM
Last Post: Jimasripper
  Ready to buy CPAP machine NewlyDiagnosed 29 620 03-21-2024, 01:42 PM
Last Post: NewlyDiagnosed
  UARS diagnosis? No improvements on CPAP. What Bilevel machine to get and where? empiricismandstatistics 8 198 03-21-2024, 04:29 AM
Last Post: empiricismandstatistics

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.