Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Looking to quiet the air sound in the tubing when breathing in
Looking to quiet the air sound in the tubing when breathing in
I like silence in my room when I sleep (or a constant hum like a white noise machine), so the sound of the air going through the tube when I'm inhaling (which is an on-off-on-off sound) can get a bit annoying because it will cause me to focus on the sound. 

What can I do to minimize the noise? 

Would something like a hose cover (like a snugglehose) or something help dampen the sound or not really? I know there are additional benefits to a hose cover like preventing rainouts (still not 100% sure what those are) and maybe the air temperature will stay warmer/more consistent.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Looking to quiet the air sound in the tubing when breathing in
Someone on a different CPAP board said this:

"Hose snuggie helps marginally and it may be dangerous with a heated hose.

You would do better with some white noise--like a fan on low pointed away from you.:"

Why would this be the case? Too much heat generated with a heated hose?
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm here to say that I have experience using a fleece hose cover with both Respironics and Resmed heated tubes, and have also used the fleece covered Aussie heated hose that came before either of the manufacturer options. No danger and quieter. Much more comfortable.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-06-2019, 06:53 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: I'm here to say that I have experience using a fleece hose cover with both Respironics and Resmed heated tubes, and have also used the fleece covered Aussie heated hose that came before either of the manufacturer options.  No danger and quieter. Much more comfortable.
Thank you! Do you have a particular brand that you would recommend?
Post Reply Post Reply
I use a hose cover, but I don't know if it makes the air sound any quieter. I use a hose hanger / holder and some of the hose rests on top of our bed's headboard. 

By the having the hose cover on, if the hose does move around a bit on the headboard, it's virtually quiet.

I purchased my hose cover on EBAY. It's black fleece with a full length zipper. Makes it easy to remove the hose from it.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-06-2019, 06:35 PM)vroomvroom Wrote: I like silence in my room when I sleep (or a constant hum like a white noise machine),

We use an air filtering machine as our white noise generator. It covers up the sound of the CPAP machine completely.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-06-2019, 07:56 PM)Sleepster Wrote:
(07-06-2019, 06:35 PM)vroomvroom Wrote: I like silence in my room when I sleep (or a constant hum like a white noise machine),

We use an air filtering machine as our white noise generator. It covers up the sound of the CPAP machine completely.

There's an air purifier in the room, but it only kicks it up to higher speeds when it detects dust, etc. Otherwise, it's silent!
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-06-2019, 07:21 PM)Big Guy Wrote: I use a hose cover, but I don't know if it makes the air sound any quieter. I use a hose hanger / holder and some of the hose rests on top of our bed's headboard. 

By the having the hose cover on, if the hose does move around a bit on the headboard, it's virtually quiet.

I purchased my hose cover on EBAY. It's black fleece with a full length zipper. Makes it easy to remove the hose from it.

Thanks, I'll pick one up! I do have a hose buddy, so at least I don't have the noise of the tubing rustling around the bed/headboard!
Post Reply Post Reply
There are good choices on Ebay and Amazon, and they are all functionally good.  Using a hose cover makes the tubing more comfortable when it touches your face or body, and makes it much quieter. I use the Resmed Airfit 10 nasal pillows and cover the short tube on the mask with the fleece cover, leaving the section closest to the machine uncovered.  This makes it quieter and more comfortable.  My machine is quiet, but normally is in a drawer in the bedside table with the tubing and cord going through a hole in the back of the cabinet.  Kind of like this, but with the drawer closed...

[Image: attachment.php?aid=5043]
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

Post Reply Post Reply
(07-06-2019, 06:42 PM)vroomvroom Wrote: Someone on a different CPAP board said this:

"Hose snuggie helps marginally and it may be dangerous with a heated hose.

You would do better with some white noise--like a fan on low pointed away from you.:"

Why would this be the case? Too much heat generated with a heated hose?

I have used a hose cover for almost 5 years now. Dangerous? I don’t see how, as the heated tube doesn’t get hot, just a little warm. It is more comfortable though.

I can’t say the hose cover helps with noise or hearing yourself breathing. For that, I use either a fan or an air cleaner in my room while sleeping.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Worried about periodic breathing / CA patterns Jorgo 27 624 3 hours ago
Last Post: Jorgo
  White/Brown Sound? MoneyPit1946 7 149 03-16-2024, 10:49 AM
Last Post: MoneyPit1946
  Alternative Therapy to CPAP (Nasal Breathing) Wcwilson 1 127 03-07-2024, 04:02 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Nasal massage and exercises to help nose breathing sleepingbetterinFl 1 141 03-06-2024, 11:11 PM
Last Post: OpalRose
  [Treatment] Using Bipap for UARS - can anyone help with erratic breathing and my settings? RagingBull 7 487 03-06-2024, 12:23 PM
Last Post: bertchintus
  Nasal Breathing / Septoplasty questions Ptee8899 7 352 02-13-2024, 11:10 PM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  Anything can be done for baby with breathing problems Ptee8899 3 213 02-11-2024, 11:30 PM
Last Post: eok361

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.