Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Looking to quiet the air sound in the tubing when breathing in
RE: Looking to quiet the air sound in the tubing when breathing in
My AirSense 10 AutoSet is as quiet as can be. Literally no noise from it at all. I don't get any noise from my hose either as I breathe. I do get some from my mask, but it doesn't bother me at all.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-06-2019, 06:35 PM)vroomvroom Wrote: I like silence in my room when I sleep (or a constant hum like a white noise machine), so the sound of the air going through the tube when I'm inhaling (which is an on-off-on-off sound) can get a bit annoying because it will cause me to focus on the sound. 

What can I do to minimize the noise? 

Would something like a hose cover (like a snugglehose) or something help dampen the sound or not really? I know there are additional benefits to a hose cover like preventing rainouts (still not 100% sure what those are) and maybe the air temperature will stay warmer/more consistent.

I don't use the same mask; mine is an N20 nasal type with the vent directly in front of my nose.  It could be that your noise problem is caused not by the tube air but by the air rushing out of the diffuser/vent.  The only time my 'hose' gets noisy enough to intrude is when the vent is close to my pillow or nearly obstructed due to some other obstacle (hand, forearm...) and the air venting must accelerate to escape under the pressure behind it.  That causes vibrations and more noise.
Post Reply Post Reply
What @mesenteria said.

I have not used that mask either. Are you sure it is not your mask? Have you tried other masks? Are the noises more/less?

Some masks are definitely noisier than others.
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm very sensitive to sound.

Since you said you don't mind white noise, I'd recommend upping your white noise to a volume that allows you not to hear the machine. That works well for me.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-10-2019, 08:16 PM)Hydrangea Wrote: I'm very sensitive to sound.

Since you said you don't mind white noise, I'd recommend upping your white noise to a volume that allows you not to hear the machine. That works well for me.

Yup! Me, too.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
OK guys, I think I figured it out. 

Because I have my hose on a HoseBuddy, it's not likely the hose making the air whooshing sounds. I believe it is the little tube that connects my mask to the large hose.

Is there a cover made for the little hose instead? 

I covered my diffuser to see if that would reduce noise, and no real benefit, so I think it must be the air rushing by the little tube.
Post Reply Post Reply
I actually find the sound of the machine and my breathing comforting. Once I put my mask on and hear the machine doing it's thing, I'm usually asleep within 60 seconds. Might be a type a Pavlovian response. I know I'm not going to die in my sleep becasue the machine is taking care of me. I have also been told by a partner once that the noise was soothing to her, it meant that we were together and I was still breathing.

My suggestion for blocking out noise is foam earplugs. Simple and effective. I always take a couple of pairs while traveling to block out unfamiliar noises in hotel rooms.
Post Reply Post Reply
I always use an insulated sleeve-type hose cover and do not have a heated hose. The nylon jscket to my hose cover lets the hose slide freely across bedding, and I never get "rainout" even in the cool seasons.

TheDuke
Post Reply Post Reply
I could be mistaken, but some of the hose covers may be long enough to cover your connector hose as well.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
We have an air filtering machine running in the bedroom. The little bit of white noise drowns out the very tiny bit of noise made by my machine.

If you're using 15 mm diameter tubing you might try 22 mm diameter tubing. (22/15)² is a little over 2, meaning it could carry about twice as much air.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Worried about periodic breathing / CA patterns Jorgo 45 1,102 1 hour ago
Last Post: Sleeprider
  White/Brown Sound? MoneyPit1946 7 183 03-16-2024, 10:49 AM
Last Post: MoneyPit1946
  Alternative Therapy to CPAP (Nasal Breathing) Wcwilson 1 148 03-07-2024, 04:02 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Nasal massage and exercises to help nose breathing sleepingbetterinFl 1 170 03-06-2024, 11:11 PM
Last Post: OpalRose
  [Treatment] Using Bipap for UARS - can anyone help with erratic breathing and my settings? RagingBull 7 511 03-06-2024, 12:23 PM
Last Post: bertchintus
  Nasal Breathing / Septoplasty questions Ptee8899 7 384 02-13-2024, 11:10 PM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  Anything can be done for baby with breathing problems Ptee8899 3 221 02-11-2024, 11:30 PM
Last Post: eok361

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.