Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Lorrubdb Therapy Thread: Fine-tuning therapy with Oscar
RE: Need Help! AHI increasing, can't decipher Oscar
Thanks will try it. Pls disregard my last post, didn’t see your reply for some reason. Just wanted to make sure it’s ok bc you previously mentioned not to do anything different like try a new mask but maybe I misunderstood.
As long as you are making a single change for comfort, we can monitor how it affects therapy and see if we can get back to the good results or better you have been showing. It may take a few days to develop a trend as you adapt to the new therapy mode.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Tried nasal mask night and didn't go too well as you can see from all the leaks on my chart. Don't have the P10 yet, they will send end of the month. So used the one I have-Airfit N301 with which was comfortable and  a chin strap to keep my mouth closed but it's kinda useless, can easily override it. The problem is I feel like I can inhale easily through my nose but it's hard to exhale, feel a lot of pressure trying to breathe out so feel panicky and want to open my mouth. Why do you think that is happening? I guess my nose is a little congested but not enough to stop air flow so not sure why it's so hard to exhale. So a few times when I was really struggling, I turned off the machine or took the mask off and just sat up and breathed til I calmed down again.   Looks like it's  going to take quite awhile to get used to it, won't be easy. Good news is no red marks or dents in my face!

I posted charts from last night with the nasal mask and night before when I used the face mask. Don't think the last night's chart looks too bad but probably because of so many interruptions and not a full night of therapy. 

Looking forward to your feedback and suggestions. 

Thank you!
Lorie

[attachment=40630][attachment=40631]
This nasal interface continues to show excellent AHI results. It is not the mask I prefer, but your complaint is common for someone that has not used a nasal interface. Let's just say it is going to take more than one night to adapt and feel comfortable with it, just as it took more time to get used to CPAP at all. Your flow rate shows different "appearance in the first and second sessions. I'd like to see a zoom at 00:15 and 03:30 to compare what is going on. Results are excellent, but nasal therapy often allows a reduced pressure, so given your feedback, we can drop pressure to minimum 8.0, maximum 12.0 EPR 3.

Please be aware I am not on the forum 24/7 and there is no need for you to post a follow-up asking for attention. I have renamed the thread so it is easier to spot.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
RE: Lorrubdb Therapy Thread: Fine-tuning therapy with Oscar
Yeah sorry about that-I  had an especially rough night with the first nasal trial and as the day went on got more and more anxious to hear what you think. I regretted my tone and words right away, and  went back to delete or revise it but couldn't do it, maybe it was too late.   Not an excuse but should never post when I'm that cranky and tired.  I do realize you have a life and are busy with others, sincere apologies for so frequently posting twice and being so demanding for your attention. I have no reason to do that as you always get back to me when you can. Feel bad as you truly help me so much and need to be more considerate of your time. But it won't happen again-I will wait patiently (or impatiently)  to hear back and thanks for changing my thread name to stand out more. Really thoughtful and nice of you, especially  when I've been so annoying.

I know it will take awhile to get used to nasal,  took like 3 months to get used to cpap. Just got worried about the resistance exhaling. So glad to hear it's a common complaint and my results are still excellent! I will go ahead and change the numbers to what you said. Here's the zooms you asked for. Hope I did it right and its what you need to see. If not let me know and I'll try again.

[attachment=40638][attachment=40639]
(03-10-2022, 10:18 PM)Lorrubdb Wrote: .... should never post when I'm that cranky and tired.  .....

It happens to all of us!

If you are still considering other masks the AirFit F30 works the best for me.  It goes under the nostrils and covers your mouth.  And I can still wear my glasses with the mask!
The P10 is the mask my wife wears and she loves it.  We got her an F30 also but she didn't care for it.  A lot of choices are available.
Jeff8356

MacBook Air (2017, Intel) | macOS Monterey (12.7) | OSCAR v1.5.1 | VM = Win10/Win11 |
How to Links:
Installing OSCAR on a Mac
Organizing your OSCAR charts
Attaching screenshots and files for the forum
OSCAR Help
OSCAR - The Guide

The new charts are showing that flow limitation is gone, and the section at 03:30 looks particularly good. The earlier snip at midnight shows good sleep breathing coming into an arousal that does not appear to be respiratory related. There is a mix of events that are a mix, mostly towards the end of the night. There are a couple large leaks which actually is not bad news in that it shows you mostly control the air well. The reduction in pressure should help with comfort and leaks. Aside from some leaks and expiratory resistance, do you like the feel of nasal therapy and more freedom for your face? For future posts be sure to include a full-night screenshot. Leaks are not any worse than what I often experience, and that is a good start for a beginner on nasal therapy.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

Thanks Jeff! - so glad to hear that I'm not the only one it happens to!  Just cringe when  I reread those awful posts I wrote when I was having a bad  moment. 

i did try the Airfit F30 and like it too. It's soft and small- like half the size of the full monstrous mask-so cool you can wear glasses! . I especially like that you can mouth breathe and also it extends into the nostrils. I did have some problems with leaking, not always but some nights had to keep adjusting. pulling  the straps tighter etc.  So I'm  trying the nasal for the most freedom  but if it doesn't work out will go back to it. I've tried a lot of face masks and ithe F30 is the best one for me by far.
Hi Sleeprider.. ..so great to hear my sleep breathing was good on Nasal night #1 and amazing that my breathing limits are just gone!  Is that from change to nasal therapy? Thanks so much for your detailed analysis and feedback, greatly appreciated Smile

So last night I could exhale better with the new settings but initially felt like I wasn't getting enough air. It used to be like a blast of air when it started and then a lot of air blowing. But after I got more used to the lower air flow, just felt like I was breathing normal room air through my nose so was ok and fell asleep. Seemed to go well but then woke up towards the morning feeling like my nose was all clogged up and couldn't breathe through it.  Why do you think that happened? Is that normal when first starting nasal therapy?  I   propped  myself more up on the pillows hoping that would help( it didn't)  and know I breathed through my mouth at least a few times so hope it didn't adversely impact my results. I was wearing my soft collar but looks like my position caused some obstructives.  I ordered mouth tape so maybe that will help. ButI I  did wake up a lot less and think there were less leaks so that's good, that's progress.

To answer your question- despite the difficulty adjusting to it, I really do love the feel and freedom of the nasal therapy-the soft band is so comfortable and its wonderful not to have a big tight contraption on my face which was getting depressing. It's just so different - I could actually drink  water and easily put on my glasses without a whole big deal taking everything off and on.  Feels almost like it's not there, almost like a normal person haha. I'm just hoping results look good  from Nasal night #2  it so anxious to hear your thoughts-when you get a chance.

Thank you!

This last session was short, only 5-1/2 hours. The AHI had less time to average out, but not a problem After 03:45 the events rise, pressure increased and your flow rate looks small. I think this is a data issue not therapy, but I expected to see a leak that isn't there. Flow limits often diminish with nasal therapy because the direct pressure inflates the nasal airway passages giving better flow and less restriction. Eventually you won't notice the resistance to exhale and may even find it necessary to remove the mask to see if the machine is even on. Happens to me a lot.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Lanners - Therapy Help Lanners 25 979 50 minutes ago
Last Post: TechieHippie
  Jakespeare65 - Therapy Help jakespeare65 28 841 10 hours ago
Last Post: jakespeare65
  [Treatment] Need some tuning I think timthebaker 6 184 Yesterday, 11:22 AM
Last Post: timthebaker
  WW4B Therapy thread WW4B 49 4,086 03-27-2024, 04:31 PM
Last Post: WW4B
  Therapy Help - Possible UARS - REM jkossis 8 177 03-27-2024, 02:09 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] Therapy help rekaviv 9 258 03-27-2024, 11:22 AM
Last Post: rekaviv
  IanD - Therapy Thread IanD 28 2,272 03-26-2024, 08:18 PM
Last Post: IanD

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.