Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Lorrubdb Therapy Thread: Fine-tuning therapy with Oscar
RE: Lorrubdb Therapy Thread: Fine-tuning therapy with Oscar
(03-11-2022, 01:04 AM)Jeff8356 Wrote: It happens to all of us!

If you are still considering other masks the AirFit F30 works the best for me.  It goes under the nostrils and covers your mouth.  And I can still wear my glasses with the mask!
The P10 is the mask my wife wears and she loves it.  We got her an F30 also but she didn't care for it.  A lot of choices are available.
I wondered why the flow looked so small and when I zoomed in it hardly looked like a breath at all. Especially at the end, seemed to almost flatline. Kind of scared me. Relieved  to hear it’s ok and probably a data issue which didn’t occur to me.  I’m so surprised that nasal therapy has such a different mechanism and effect. No wonder you recommend it. Wish I did it sooner! So it inflates the nasal passages directly causing greater flow and less restriction.  I’m repeating your words to better understand. That’s incredible how much more effective it is than mouth breathing therapy. Reminds me of sublingual medication directly absorbing into blood stream so works faster and better than swallowing it. So why does the breath form look so different, spread out it just looks like waves. Does occasional mouth breathing interfere with the therapy a lot? I must not have been mouth breathing much given how small the flow was. I actually did wonder if the machine was on at times when couldn’t feel air coming in. I only slept the 5ish hours bc when my nose felt clogged up and couldn’t breathe through it anymore decided to just turn off the machine and get up. Thanks as always for sharing your incredible knowledge and time to help me
Did you set the machine for nasal or pillows?
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Nasals
Not sure what is going on with my machine, looks like a serious malfunction but something is clearly wrong. I posted 3 nights charts but two of the dates/times are wrong because I had to change the date to get it to clear previous data and start over again. On Friday 3/11 when was I putting  on my nasal mask the machine (on smartstart) suddenly blasted out a ton of air and my AHI immediately shot up to 19.78 (all obstructives) in like 2-3 seconds and then went off. I turned it back on but it was the same. I tried to reboot it by disconnecting/connecting power but it didn't change the data. It also took a long time to turn back on, I kept changing power outlets bc it looked dead.  I think also the date changed-so I tried to change it back but got an error message that I can't set a time in the past. So I set it to 3/14 (the only date it would take) which cleared it and SEEMED to start over but instead of fresh AHI 0.0 it was 6.0. I just continued with that and in the morning it had decreased to 1.27. Also my breathing patterns got really small at times. 

I used my F30 mask instead of Airfit N30I since I'm still struggling with nasal therapy and was tired after  trying to fix the resmed for so long. Just wanted to go to sleep with no more problems.  Last night 3/12 is dated 3/16 and AHI did start with 0.0 but was 2.78 in the morning. Also used the face mask with mask settings. I think the cluster of OA towards morning happened when my mask just slid off my nose/mouth and I was breathing room air. My oximeter was alarming like crazy all night  and I had around 38 desaturations as low as 86. I had been doing great with zero desaturations for weeks. I think it slid down because of not being tightened enough. I am done with masks, they are so disruptive and such a pain,  really want to succeed with nasal therapy. So I tried to figure out why I'm struggling so much to breathe with the nasal mask. I did better when the the max pressure was decreased from  9 to 8 but it was still was difficult. I  experimented with it while awake by putting it on with the machine off and trying to breathe. Turns out I couldn't breathe even without cpap because my nose was blocked. The position of the nasal interface was blocking airflow like I had stuck cotton balls in my nose.  I changed the size-went from small to medium and repositioned it so it wasn't interfering with airflow and could breathe fine. I think there's also large size if I need to try it. I tested with cpap and put on my new mouth tape and it made a big difference, I could breathe ok although I still had a strong urge to open my mouth and take a deep breath. That seems to be a psychological thing as I was awake and know I was breathing normally through my nose as I am now when typing. Very hard to get used to. But will try again tonight and hoping for a more peaceful sleep, do love the freedom of nasal mask.

So since the max pressure was decreased based on my feedback that I couldn't exhale comfortably and now  it doesn't seem to be  caused by the pressure, should I change it back to previous settings of 9 and 13? I think I feel better with more air.   I'll call DME company in the morning but any idea what's the problem with resmed?

Thank you!

We are going to ignore the 3-minute chart, except to say the data does not align with your story of a blast of air. This may have been an anxiety reaction, and in truth, if you feel better at 9 to 13 pressure, just stick with that. I don't see a malfunction. I don't know what you did to change the date, but the correct way to handle it would have been to not change any date or time in your Autoset, but to purge the data for 3/11 from Oscar which would have let you import the new data. Oscar will not import additional sessions for any date where a session has already been recorded. You have to purge a partial data set, and it will import with the rest of the sessions for that date. Just go to Data/Advanced and purge selected day. The chart for March 13 shows fragmented sessions with pressure from 9.0 to 13.0 and a low AHI. Events were mainly at the beginning or end of a session and are probably not real. The chart for 3/15 shows more continuous therapy and two clusters of obstructive apnea that is probably positional.

Getting back to the correct date and time is not going to be easy. Resmed does not let you reset the date in the past, unless you purge the patient data and start with a clean SD card. Your data is backed up and stored in Oscar, so this is not too bad unless your data is being monitored by the DME for insurance.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Thanks I should’ve asked you before I did anything. It’s just that I was sitting here looking at the machine and saw the ahi jump up to 19.78 so thought whoa that’s not normal, something’s wrong. Not sure how anxiety could cause that to happen- you mean like I was holding my breath? That’s possible, I do that a lot. The air did burst in, but it always does when it first fires up-just seemed stronger. Weird but ok, we’ll just ignore it. 

So now looks I messed up Oscar- went and purged the 3 days starting 3/11. Then reinserted the sd card thinking it would reimport data but now those days are just empty- or have the minimal data, no graph. So now what to do?

As far as resmed, it had the wrong date/time when I first got it, so I called and the rep told me to reset on my own. She told me how and walked me through it. You just reset the whole machine and it allows you to enter a date in the past. But it did erase all data like you said and I got concerned bc at that time I did need it for insurance. I don’t now. So I called back, this time spoke w a tech person, she said the rep should not have told me to change it myself.  They have backup anyway but only they should do it. Not sure why. I don’t need the data but don’t know if it screws something up on their end so guess I’ll just call tomorrow and have them correct the date/time.
The event rate is based on 1-event in 3 minutes and 2-seconds of data. That is equal to nearly 20 events in one hour (AHI), so I'll stick with my panic attack theory. Hide your machine display or stop looking at it. You panicked when you saw that and it cascaded into stopping therapy and uploading the data. You did not ignore it. From now on, only upload data the next day after all therapy is complete.

What is the day and time set on your Autoset? What should it be?
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

Oh I see, had no idea that’s how ahi works. Makes perfect sense now so sticking with your panic attack theory too-and won’t look at it anymore it til the next day.

The machine is currently set for March 22 2022 at 1949. Should be March 13 at 2039
No sorry it’s now set on March 16 at 19:54

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  WW4B Therapy thread WW4B 49 4,060 Yesterday, 04:31 PM
Last Post: WW4B
  Therapy Help - Possible UARS - REM jkossis 8 153 Yesterday, 02:09 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] Therapy help rekaviv 9 251 Yesterday, 11:22 AM
Last Post: rekaviv
  IanD - Therapy Thread IanD 28 2,262 03-26-2024, 08:18 PM
Last Post: IanD
  MrIvanDrago - CPAP|Bi-PAP Therapy Journey MrIvanDrago 67 3,336 03-26-2024, 01:22 PM
Last Post: MrIvanDrago
  [Treatment] Need some tuning I think timthebaker 5 157 03-25-2024, 04:15 PM
Last Post: timthebaker
  Marcin's Therapy Thread marcinpiskala 20 955 03-23-2024, 04:38 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.