Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Losing weight and needing less pressure... but aerophagia is worse?
Losing weight and needing less pressure... but aerophagia is worse?
Hi guys...

So I went for a full body checkup, and doctor told me I have 5 narrowings in my coronary arteries.  My dad, aunts, uncles all had major issues with heart diseases, so this was a big scare for me.

Doc ordered me to lose lots of weight.  I'm 6f 1, weighed about 196lbs.  Was told to drop to 176.  After a few weeks, I'm at 182 now.

As a result, I found my ahi dropping and I have been lowering my pressures bit by bit.  I used to need 10cm at my heaviest, but I'm at 8.4 now.  

However, my aerophagia seems to be getting worse.

Does it seem as though, if the body needs less pressure to hold the airway open, more of that pressure then goes into the gut?  Something about that doesn't seem to make sense from a physics point of view... however, that is what's happening...

Any thoughts? advice?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Losing weight and needing less pressure... but aerophagia is worse?
Your last therapy thread showed a range of pressure on your Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset of 8 to 9 cm with EPR 3. http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...whats-next

I think this question should have been continued in that thread, and that a new chart should be posted in support of this new question. Certainly, if you Aerophagia is a continuing problem, and AHI is low, your have room to move to a lower pressure range. Aerophagia and apnea are a matter of compromise and optimization when they occur together. You may also want to rule out other issues such as GERD. Feel free to post a chart, but dropping pressure by 1-cm is probably not going to hurt your results or comfort, based on your successful weight loss.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Apologies... Was asking a general question about losing weight and requiring less pressure... But you're absolutely right, this kind of thing specific to my situation should be continued in that thread. I'll post a new chart there. Thank you!
Post Reply Post Reply
You should also be aware that significant weight loss -- especially fast loss -- can cause gall bladder disease. So be aware that it might not be aerophagia at all.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-26-2021, 10:40 PM)cathyf Wrote: You should also be aware that significant weight loss -- especially fast loss -- can cause gall bladder disease. So be aware that it might not be aerophagia at all.

Thanks for the concern... but this is definitely aerophagia.  The classic signs are there... bloated filled with air, massive burpings upon awakening, and fartings for the next few hours.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Apnea has gotten worse recently, I have no sleep study, can I just buy a cpcp? replayablecontent 12 237 Yesterday, 12:38 PM
Last Post: replayablecontent
  [Equipment] Much worse sleep with ResMed? Jookia 8 182 03-25-2024, 11:16 PM
Last Post: staceyburke
  New to CPAP, awful aerophagia callamar75 24 606 03-25-2024, 11:26 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  weight loss meds with cpap ButtonNoseBarbie 3 153 03-25-2024, 11:23 AM
Last Post: OpalRose
Sad help! bipap making things worse Sleepyroshi 11 588 03-23-2024, 01:40 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Needing help fixing my sleep with cpap nunogarcia 2 161 03-22-2024, 09:04 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  [Treatment] Lost weight, no doc, can't get my settings right... japesinjapan 9 274 03-21-2024, 01:52 PM
Last Post: TechieHippie

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.