Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Loss of smell and taste
Loss of smell and taste
Hi!

In recent months I have noticed a diminution in my sense of smell and taste. Could it be attributed to a prolonged use of my cpap machine or my pressure might be to high?

ty
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Loss of smell and taste
I sincerely doubt it. But it is something to bring up to your regular physician as it may be signs of something else.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
I've had the exact same loss of smell and taste over the past year, roughly. Not sure if it's due to extended CPAP use or not. I've been on CPAP since 2004, and no issues until about a year ago.

I don't use a humidifier, and at times during the winter, I do wake up with a very dry throat and nasal cavities, so maybe that lack of moisture is finally affecting my ability to smell/taste. Thinking-about
SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
It is something to bring up with your doctor.
Loss of sense of smell (taste is related) can portend some neurological conditions.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
I have definitely had a loss of smell since starting cpap therapy. Whether it is caused by 20+ years of cpap-ing or just old age is a matter of debate. oldman
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. 
ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.
Post Reply Post Reply
There are a number of causes of loss of smell and taste. My loss was due to an undiagnosed brain infection. I would see your doctor for referral to both an ENT and a neurologist. There are actually some concerning things that COULD be going on. Don't just assume old age, especially if you can't smell very strong odors. My loss was so profound that I was next to a cattle feedlot and couldn't smell a thing and the cowboys were just in awe of that.

In the meantime, get yourself a gas detector because you may not be able to smell natural gas.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have been using my S9 for just over 3 years now. My pressure is 7-14, and I use the Hi5 humidifier. When I first wake up my sense of smell is reduced, but that goes away in a few minutes.

I haven't noticed any taste or smell change.

Make sure your mask, hose and humidifier are kept clean.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Angry ResMed AirSense 10 Burn Smell bsullivan 69 25,710 10 hours ago
Last Post: fixed it
  weight loss meds with cpap ButtonNoseBarbie 3 149 03-25-2024, 11:23 AM
Last Post: OpalRose
  Horrible chemically burned bacon smell in nose after water reservoir runs dey icashootnstar 13 1,802 03-18-2024, 09:39 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] Solvent smell coming from new Airsense 11 ducknoir 22 7,200 03-06-2024, 07:06 PM
Last Post: Teddyg
  Burning Smell? BC3B 33 19,392 10-25-2023, 08:55 AM
Last Post: Teddyg
  [CPAP] Sweet morning smell..... H2Daddy 12 8,823 10-24-2023, 12:23 AM
Last Post: fly by night
  Weight Loss and Side Sleeping Therapy - AHI < 0.5 AquaMan 3 693 09-17-2023, 11:19 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.