Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Lost 100 pounds - do I need to have another sleep study?
RE: Lost 100 pounds - do I need to have another sleep study?
Loss of weight may reduce pressures needed. But why go through new sleep study just to get pressure adjustment? You still using CPAP? What has been your AHI on machine each night? You haven't posted your equipment on profile so it would help to know what kind of machine you are using.

I lost 40 pounds over a year through just diet. It made absolutely no difference in my CPAP pressure settings. One of the problems with weight loss is that the fat that was over your palate and back of throat around your airway may or may not go away. But if it does, you can have residual fat that is now loose and flaps around airway with breathing.
Everyone has a bad hair day once in a while.  Same with a night on xPAP.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-28-2018, 02:10 PM)mesenteria Wrote: Little of any lasting value comes from ease of acquisition.  Said more succinctly, no pain, no gain.

Yes, but in the OP's case and in my case, we've both been through a sleep study already, have been using the machines, and can gather reams of data from them if we need to, exclusive of EEG and EKG. (And EKG at home is feasible too; don't know about EEG.) I don't think I would recommend that anyone who had never been through a PSG should avoid it.
Post Reply Post Reply
You've done incredibly well! Well done!

My new sleep doc required me to take a sleep study. He surprised the heck out of me when I got his results. He said my treatment was right, but my pressure should be increased to ensure better quality of sleep. He was right. My numbers are the same as before (really good.) I have more deep sleep, or curative sleep..

I'm grateful. (It was 10 years since my last sleep study. I'm 72 now. I'm heavier, and glad to be alive)
DaveL
compliant for 35 years /// Still trying!

I'm just a cpap user like you. I don't give medical advice. Seek the advice of a physician before seeking treatment for medical conditions including sleep apnea. Sleep-well

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php..._The_Guide

Post Reply Post Reply
I don't have anything of substance to add. I just wanted to say congratulations!
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks to all who responded.
 I downloaded Sleepyhead and installed an SD card in my machine. It should be interesting to see what kind of data can be obtained from it. 
Since my surgery was less than three months ago, it's predicted that I'll continue to lose weight for about 6 - 12 more months before I level out. I'll wait until then before I make my decision on having another study. Cost of the study is not an issue as I'm on Medicare now and I understand that it would be covered; however, spending the night in the hospital hooked up to a bunch of wires definitely sucks, even if it's free.  Grin
 (If Medicare covers better CPAP machine, I'd certainly be open to that too  Bigwink ).
Post Reply Post Reply
Do you know what model CPAP you have. Escape and SE do not provide data. Elite and Autoset have data.

If you can get a copy of your last sleep study, you will not be required to obtain a new sleep study under Medicare. If no copy is available, then a study will be required for a new machine. If you must have a sleep study, request a "split study" where titration is done after the diagnosis of sleep apnea on the same night. Either way, once you know your path to a new machine, ask for the Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset to be specified in the prescription. This will get you the best machine on the market, and Medicare will pay for it the same as they would a cheaper machine. The DME makes more money on a cheaper unit, but the better one is covered.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
You should get a good idea from your data, if it is very low you could restrict the high pressure slightly each night to see what happens to the events you have.
However, keep using it until you understand Sleepyhead.
You can ask here for help with that, some forum users will tell you how you are doing.
Nice to be without 100lbs though, congrats. ?
I am NOT a doctor.  I try to help, but do not take what I say as medical advice.

Every journey, however large or small starts with the first step.

Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-28-2018, 06:43 PM)bob riff Wrote: Thanks to all who responded.
 I downloaded Sleepyhead and installed an SD card in my machine. It should be interesting to see what kind of data can be obtained from it. 
Since my surgery was less than three months ago, it's predicted that I'll continue to lose weight for about 6 - 12 more months before I level out. I'll wait until then before I make my decision on having another study. Cost of the study is not an issue as I'm on Medicare now and I understand that it would be covered; however, spending the night in the hospital hooked up to a bunch of wires definitely sucks, even if it's free.  Grin
 (If Medicare covers better CPAP machine, I'd certainly be open to that too  Bigwink ).

If you had the bariatric sleeve like I did, yes you likely will continue to lose weight for at least 1 year after surgery. Congrats on the 100 lb loss and best to your successes in the future.

Coffee
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Apnea has gotten worse recently, I have no sleep study, can I just buy a cpcp? replayablecontent 12 234 Yesterday, 12:38 PM
Last Post: replayablecontent
  [CPAP] Titration Study liebano 2 77 03-26-2024, 08:18 PM
Last Post: gainerfull
Question [Diagnosis] Home Sleep Study Results & Feedback togapilot 6 532 03-26-2024, 02:36 PM
Last Post: togapilot
  CPAP newbie / OSCAR / study feedback Brad124 4 190 03-23-2024, 08:02 AM
Last Post: Brad124
  New sleep study after 17 years? Jim1952 2 120 03-21-2024, 05:33 PM
Last Post: Jim1952
  [Treatment] Lost weight, no doc, can't get my settings right... japesinjapan 9 274 03-21-2024, 01:52 PM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  New to CPAP Titration Study and OSCAR Data Help Needed slowmoto 2 146 03-20-2024, 01:24 PM
Last Post: slowmoto

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.