Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Lost weight and numbers going up???
Lost weight and numbers going up???
I am noticing since I lost weight (about 15 lbs), I am on Atkins diet, that my AHI is actually going UP??? It's still within good limits but this trend is strange. My AHI used to be around 0.50 or so, and now is usually about 1.3 or 1.5 or there about. The leak rate is just ok, it's under the 24 line mostly, but I don't understand this trend. The company just sent me new pillows for my P10 and the leak rate went up, instead of down as well. What could this be?

LeaksLeak Rate (L/min)
W-Avg: 6.77 0.00 7.20 19.20 24.00

LeaksLeak Rate (L/min)
W-Avg: 4.03 0.00 1.20 15.60 19.20

LeaksLeak Rate (L/min)
W-Avg: 10.04 0.00 7.20 30.00 34.80

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Lost weight and numbers going up???
It sounds a bit odd...

Still - skinny people suffer OSA as well...

A friend of mine is 6'2", 85kg and has both Type 2 diabetes and OSA... go figure.
Post Reply Post Reply
Too much meat is the problem
Try the Mediterranean diet instead and watch the Kilos and AHI comes down Coffee
Post Reply Post Reply
Congrats at least on the wt loss. I'm still struggling with wt; thought it would get easier once all the hormones began to stabilize. Maybe a month isn't long enough to see results in wt loss/hunger issues!

A good laugh and a long sleep are the best cures....
Post Reply Post Reply
I am VERY carb sensitive, when I eat them, I get ravenous. I am just new on the Atkins, the last 15 lbs came off with a lot more carbs, but my weight loss stopped for almost 4 weeks so I decided to try Atkins to see if that would help. I take in 1000 calories a day and work out 2 hours, 45 minutes in the pool doing aerobics and the rest in 15 minute segments on the stationary bike. If I am watching TV, I am on the bike.

I saw as well that I was getting more Centrals as well, but not they have settled into Obstructive.
I mean it's not bad, they are still within a good range, but I still am trying to find out what the heck is going on.

I was thinking about lowering the pressure to 5, I think that is as low as you can get and see what happens????? What do you think? When I lowered it before, I got better AHI, I have come from 17, to 8 and now 6 pressure. I still find that the P10 mask might be the culprit.
Post Reply Post Reply
If the leaks are increasing, you cannot believe the AHI number. If you are not feeling any worse, then that adds even more to the false AHI reading.

Work on the leaks first.

Your pressure is at 6, you can't go much lower than that (just 5 and 4). If the P10 is leaking at 6 then there is a problem somewhere with it.

How quickly did you make those jumps from 17 to 8 to 6? As in how much time between each one? And did you really go from 17 to 8 in one step?
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
I tried changing the settings to lower the pressure, but ran into a snag, I can't seem to access the pressure. I did the following that I found here.

From section one: ResMed S9 Series (S9 AutoSet, S9 Elite, S9 Escape Auto, S9 Escape, S9 VPAP S, S9 VPAP ST, S9 VPAP Auto & S9 VPAP Adapt): For Setup Instructions with pictures, click here http://www.apneaboard.com/resmed-s9-cpap-setup

Plug in machine and turn the Push Dial until the device is showing the Home position (Home Icon illuminated). THIS WORKED FINE

In Home position, press the Push Dial and the Setup Menu buttons down simultaneously for 3 seconds. The clinician menu will appear. THIS WORKED AS WELL

THIS PART DID NOT. I KEPT PUSHING AND THE MASK CHECK ALWAYS CAME UP. Select parameter(s) you wish to modify with the Push Dial (push down to select, turn to modify). When done, select the Home choice again from the displayed menu, push down the Push Dial again and the adjustment is saved. (complete manual available via email, below)

Post Reply Post Reply
Your body is going through a lot of changes with your diet and exercise regime. So leave the cpap stuff alone. It isn't broken right now. Let your body get used to the new and improved you before you decide to futz with your pressure settings and such. The only thing to keep working on is leaks, because as your face skinnys up, your mask seal may change.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Marnid2014,
What retired-guy said.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-20-2014, 12:06 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote: If the leaks are increasing, you cannot believe the AHI number. If you are not feeling any worse, then that adds even more to the false AHI reading.

Work on the leaks first.

Your pressure is at 6, you can't go much lower than that (just 5 and 4). If the P10 is leaking at 6 then there is a problem somewhere with it.

How quickly did you make those jumps from 17 to 8 to 6? As in how much time between each one? And did you really go from 17 to 8 in one step?

My doctor said he thought the sleep study was flawed because my AHI was almost 11 while on pressure 17. The tech made me sleep on my back. The pressure was so bad, I was gasping for breath and had a bunch of CA, so he said let's go back to the original sleep study a few years ago and bring the pressure back down to 8 to start.

At 8, I was still having CA and sleeping really bad, so they brought it down to 6, and my AHI came down to about 0. something or other. I slept very well also. I started working with the mask and got it so my leak rate was really low, about 2 to 5 and for 95% of the time, well below the 24ml. All was well, but then they gave me new pillows and now the leak rate is going up as well as AHI. I am just not sure about the P10, I have struggled with it a lot. I am going to try my old standby the Swift FX tonight and see what happens.

Robysue has been working with me as well and looked at my numbers and all was well, until this new thing popped up.

I have lost 15 lbs on just 1000 calories a day and 2 hours of exercise daily, but weight stalled for over a month and so now am on Atkins diet, but am thinking of going on a different type of diet after the end of this week, as my weight has not come off on this either, and I am a bit nervous eating so much protein. I had Thyroid Cancer and had my thyroid removed years ago and I gained 40 lbs in a year, and since then that same 40 is still on me. The doctor told me to stick to more protein and eat very few carbs and no sugar at all.

I had Afib and was in the hospital a few months ago and am on Coumadin and an anti arethemia med, which can cause weight gain grrrrrrr.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Pressure] Switching to automatic raised AHI numbers Leitrim 4 118 03-26-2024, 03:20 PM
Last Post: Leitrim
  weight loss meds with cpap ButtonNoseBarbie 3 153 03-25-2024, 11:23 AM
Last Post: OpalRose
  [Treatment] Lost weight, no doc, can't get my settings right... japesinjapan 9 274 03-21-2024, 01:52 PM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  Can someone help me make sense of my Therapy Numbers? kc90 6 353 02-21-2024, 08:58 PM
Last Post: kc90
  Frustrating insomnia continues despite numbers alienfrontier 10 606 01-27-2024, 02:04 PM
Last Post: alienfrontier
  Sleep aids or weight gain AlexS3 22 1,314 11-28-2023, 10:43 AM
Last Post: AlexS3
  Central Sleep Apnea AHI numbers too high chathamite 12 1,017 11-19-2023, 07:47 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.