Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Lots of RERA
Lots of RERA

Aloha From Hawaii.
I'm a long time CPAP user so I thought I knew something about it. Hah! To the point: I've attached an Oscar image that shows many RERA incidents. All my other measurements seem within reasonable boundaries, but the RERA was kind of a shock. I think I'm getting enough pressure, but the constant mini-disruptions (which I probably sleep through?) must be harmful to my deep sleep.
Could changing pressure or other machine variables possibly help?

I use a PR System 1 (Series 60) RemStar Auto with A-Flex. I noticed a mention of an Auto-Trial mode that lets the machine auto-titrate the user. I have the practitioner's
manual but it has nothing about activating or evaluating Auto-Trial. Ideas welcomed.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Lots of RERA
What is a RERA. A RERA is a series of flow limitations followed by an Arousal. These are best treated by Increasing pressure support or the difference between exhale and inhale pressures.

On your machine we can only raise pressure. Recommendations would be min pressure 11 max pressure 16.

Alternatively I would suggest an experiment. Your RERAs are clustered. With OSA this strongly implies a positional cause, the chin tucking. Assuming your flow limitations are based on restriction a soft cervical collar loose fitting which has been extremely effective for OSA,
Post Reply Post Reply
Greg, the Respironics machines are a poor performer with flow limitations, and this is a case where a Resmed machine would be much better. I agree with the advise by Fred to increase minimum and maximum pressure. You can see the settings you are using now are maxed out at 12 cm. I'm certain if you look at a zoomed view of these sections, you will see flattened inspiratory flow, interspersed with some larger recovery breaths or arousals. The flow limitations may be related to positional apnea. Read the Optimizing Therapy wiki in my signature for some good details.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you Fred. With a weak vendor and somewhat disinterested physician, your responses are very valuable.

Sleeprider, thank you for the valuable input. I'll work with it.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Help with spotting flow rate RERA's apnea505 3 174 03-14-2024, 02:57 PM
Last Post: apnea505
  Lots of Ufs on Oscar sprinter 3 357 12-23-2023, 03:26 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Was doing well, AHI slightly higher, lots of leaking between 4-5am. jkang9080 4 565 12-14-2023, 01:10 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  Lots of sleep but still dead tired Markus11 23 1,953 11-11-2023, 12:29 PM
Last Post: Markus11
  [Treatment] interpreting data: curious wakeup followed by lots of apneas doodat 12 1,153 11-04-2023, 12:10 PM
Last Post: doodat
  Respiratory effort- related arousals (RERA's) MrIvanDrago 3 703 11-01-2023, 01:27 PM
Last Post: MrIvanDrago
  Lots of Clearway apneas JohnnySims3011 5 701 10-31-2023, 12:30 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.