Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Lots of questions about new ResMed
Question 
Lots of questions about new ResMed
I'm awfully glad to find the ApneaBoard. Thanks for providing so much information already from thoughtful forum posts and responses. Getting the ResMed a couple of days ago reminds me of being in the hospital after a car accident, and being left alone in a hallway for an hour after an MRI, waiting for an orderly to take me back to bed. I was stuck in a wheelchair with broken bones and nothing to read, and three people scolded me for (gasp!) looking through my patient chart. CPAP therapy, while vital to my ability to sleep, feels the same--like my treatment details are illegal knowledge that I'm somehow wrong for wanting to know.

I've been using a Fisher-Paykell with a cold passive humidifier tank for several years, and just got switched to a ResMed S9. The "therapist" spent more time showing me how to plug it in than explaining anything about the system, and I have lots of questions. For instance, at one point she mentioned Bipap, but I don't see anything in my manuals about that. She told me I would see an AHI, but the sleep report is blank after two nights; I only have compliance hours showing.

I think I have an AutoSet because the ref # on the back is 36005A, but I'm not sure because I don't see any references to a model on the machine, and my manuals cover several models in the S9 series. I think any effective features of the AutoSet may not work because I'm still using a small hoard of F-P nasal masks.

I am hoping that the new machine will have enough pressure to keep the sinuses clearer--one reason I asked for a new machine (5--count 'em--5 months ago) was that I didn't think the 9-year-old F-P was keeping pressure, in addition to making whinging noises. I am wondering if I need to switch to a ResMed mask the next time I can reorder so that I can take advantage of the features of a ResMed AutoSet, if that is indeed what I have.

More immediately, I need advice on cleaning the tank. I think I need to up my game now that any wee critters will be sitting in a tank of lovely warm water. For the cold tank, I only changed the distilled water once a week or so, and used vinegar to disinfect because I have hard well water and the tank was swish-clean only. I think I need to up my game now that any wee critters will be sitting all night in a tank of lovely warm water. At least I can actually open this one! Last night, the only mild detergent in the bathroom was Woolite, so I used that, but I'm not sure it's the best. I've seen references to some products on the Forum, but am unfamiliar with them or their usefulness working with hard well water.

Sorry to unload so many questions at once. Trust me, this is the tip of the iceberg! I'll be grateful for suggestions or advice.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Lots of questions about new ResMed
I used white vinegar to clean my tank. The pH kills most bacteria.
We need to know which S9 model you have.
There are two ways to read out your S9 AHI -- through software using an SD data card and software such as Sleepyhead.
Or, you can view it in the clinicians menu.
Find your model and then find the email links to request your clinician manual.
Then email for either sleepyhead or ResMed's analysis software.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome, Imcdowel, the model name is next to the power button on the CPAP Smile You dont have to have the same brand of mask as the CPAP if you are comfortable with the one you have stick with it.
There has been a recent post on Humidifier water and tank cleaning, you will get so many different opinions, personally I clean everything twice a week and top up the distilled water daily.
Post Reply Post Reply
This is the link to Sleepyhead and some Youtube videos on it.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/sleepyhead Link to Sleepyhead

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AuAnzBVWYD4 Link to Sleepyhead Youtube Video part 1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bmhXkmeJDIM Link to Sleepyhead Youtube Video part 2
Post Reply Post Reply
G'day lmcdowel - welcome to the club.

First thing we need to do is confirm what machine you have. The model should be printed on the top, just next to the on/off button. From this link: it confirms you have an Autoset.
http://www.resmed.com/us/assets/document...er_eng.pdf

The machine records the detailed data which you can read using ResScan or SleepyHead software. There are also internal settings which control how much the patient can see on the LCD screen. To access these, download a copy of the Clinician's manual, and start reading about the available menus from P11 onwards.

Links to the manuals and software can be found here: http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-P...-and-Links (You need to be logged in to access them).

In general, all masks are compatible with all machines, so if your existing masks are comfortable and don't leak, there's no point in changing. There is no electrical connection between the machine and the mask.

There's a LOT of discussion about cleaning your humidifier tank and other gear. I use distilled water, top it up each day, then dismantle the tank completely once a week. I wash everything in warm soapy water (just normal hand soap in a dispenser) then rinse in very hot water and allow to air dry. So far so good. Smile

Post Reply Post Reply
(02-02-2014, 11:08 PM)Tez62 Wrote: Welcome, Imcdowel, the model name is next to the power button on the CPAP Smile You dont have to have the same brand of mask as the CPAP if you are comfortable with the one you have stick with it.
There has been a recent post on Humidifier water and tank cleaning, you will get so many different opinions, personally I clean everything twice a week and top up the distilled water daily.

What? On top of the machine in bright shiny letters that I can't miss? Diabolical. Where's the smiley face with red cheeks when I need it?

Ahem. I have a Resmed AutoSet, and plan to learn how to use it!
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi lmcdowel,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Which Resmed machine do you have?
Best of luck to you with the new machine and hang in there for more suggestions..
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Thats fine, they don't make it very clear on the box or anywhere else. As long as it work, thats whats important Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi lmcdowel, welcome to cpap nirvana.

Do download the Sleepyhead or Resscan software and install on your machine. I have come to prefer Sleepyhead.

But remember, remember, remember, --- just like I did not remember--- When you take the SD card out of your Resmed be sure to "lock" the card before you put it in the computer. That's a good idea for any windows version, but essential if you happen to be using the dreaded Windows 8.1. If you do not do this, then when you put the card back into your Resmed it will erase all your stored data. Which may cause your sleep doc to put you on timeout, or make you do pushups or something.

Post Reply Post Reply
(02-02-2014, 11:01 PM)lmcdowel Wrote: She told me I would see an AHI, but the sleep report is blank after two nights; I only have compliance hours showing.

Hi lmcdowel, welcome to the forum!

To see more than compliance hours, you will need to go into the Clinical Settings menu, and under Options you will need to turn on "Sleep quality".

You are off to a good start.

Take care,
--- Vaughn
The Advisory Member group provides advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff on matters concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies.  Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  1 Month In - Some Questions rarmstrong26 4 147 Yesterday, 06:45 PM
Last Post: jcp519
  Juniper's questions juniper 12 267 03-21-2024, 07:40 AM
Last Post: juniper
  New - so many questions Matsu1 4 258 02-25-2024, 10:53 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  A few questions!! Iceracer 2 307 01-19-2024, 07:53 PM
Last Post: Iceracer
  Need Help. Many Questions wkennedy 6 464 12-31-2023, 10:50 AM
Last Post: wkennedy
  Lots of Ufs on Oscar sprinter 3 357 12-23-2023, 03:26 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Was doing well, AHI slightly higher, lots of leaking between 4-5am. jkang9080 4 565 12-14-2023, 01:10 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.