Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Love Nasal Mask; Hate Chin Strap
Love Nasal Mask; Hate Chin Strap
Switched from ResMed Quattro FX full face mask to Respironics Wisp nasal mask last night. Numbers are great and autoset required slightly less pressure.

BUT the chin strap added to the nasal mask results in more discomforting apparatus on the face than did the ffm alone.

So, I hatched the idea of adding a strap to the nasal mask harness that loops around the lower strap (near the snap-in connectors) and passes under the chin. It seems like an obvious improvement that surely someone else has tried.

Has anyone heard of or invented a nasal harness that incorporates this feature?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Love Nasal Mask; Hate Chin Strap
Jim I tried that but with poor results. At first, like you, I thought it was a great idea, but the problem is, you need a chin strap to keep your mouth closed. When your mouth opens it tends to pull down on your nasal pillow and make it leak. Plus, it bothered me having more "stuff" covering my face.

So, what I've had better luck with is fabricating a pad to place between my chest and chin. You can use most anything soft and pliable. I experimented with everything from a foam dog toy to now a men's sock. I think someone else suggested using the leg from pantyhose, with leg removed of course.

I take a long dress sock and stuff another pair of socks that have been folded together, down to the center. I have said in other threads that it looks like a snake that ate a rat. Anyway I take the loose ends and tuck them inside the neck band of my Tshirt, to keep it in place.

I'm sure one could also figure out a way to make it into a band around the neck. The key is getting the right thickness and density to keep your chin propped up.

I have been using this home-made rig for over a month now with great results. My nasal pillows stay in place nicely and I can leave the straps fairly loose. When the pillows inflate they swell to seal to your nostrils. Since making this change, my AHI has dropped consistently to less than 1 and leakage is minimal.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-01-2014, 10:21 AM)drgrimes Wrote: Jim I tried that but with poor results. At first, like you, I thought it was a great idea, but the problem is, you need a chin strap to keep your mouth closed. When your mouth opens it tends to pull down on your nasal pillow and make it leak.<snip>

Thanks Doc. I feared my solution was too easy and suspected I would find someone who had conducted an unsuccessful trial. Well, anyway now I don't have to fuss with it half the night. Heavy sigh...

I like your idea of using something that is not hanging on my face. How about a stiff leather collar like that after which the U.S. Marines were nicknamed "Leathernecks?" Nah...socks sound more comfortable.
Post Reply Post Reply
Jim, if you are into leather, go for it. Oh, and be sure to post of pics of you wearing it. LOL, just kidding. You called me "Doc", but i'm not, dr are just my initials.

My experience is that if you can get by using nasal mask or nasal pillows, you will be better off. They are easier to control leaks than the full face. I read a lot on this forum about problems with keeping the mouth closed and various chin straps. Once you get that problem solved then it makes using the nasal devices feasible.

At one time I found a nasal setup that had a chin strap already built in which seemed ideal. I ordered one off the internet, but I had the same problem with it. The beauty of the nasal setups is that they require little tension to seal. When they are resting comfortably on your nose, it doesn't take much to break seal. If you start tightening, then it gets uncomfortable really fast.

Experiment with the chin pad idea. If it gets lost in the middle of the night you might need to attach it around the neck or to your Tshirt. Your leather Tshirt I mean.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hmmm...maybe I'll look for S&M sites. What we PAP folks do is not that different from abuse and torture.

Seriously, thanks for the chin pad idea. I'm on it. And my apology for calling you a doctor.
Post Reply Post Reply
No problem....I've been called worse. Good luck with the chin pad. Let me know if you figure out some improvements or something that works out better.

As far as the S&M, I think my wife considers being married to me as S&M, just without the whips and chains.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-01-2014, 07:57 AM)JimZZZ Wrote: Switched from ResMed Quattro FX full face mask to Respironics Wisp nasal mask last night. Numbers are great and autoset required slightly less pressure.

BUT the chin strap added to the nasal mask results in more discomforting apparatus on the face than did the ffm alone.

So, I hatched the idea of adding a strap to the nasal mask harness that loops around the lower strap (near the snap-in connectors) and passes under the chin. It seems like an obvious improvement that surely someone else has tried.

Has anyone heard of or invented a nasal harness that incorporates this feature?
You might want to look into the OptiLife Nasal Pillow CPAP Mask with Headgear made by Philips Respironics. It has an optional built-in chinstrapy that attaches to the lower strap of mask. When the chin strap is attached and in use, the mask looks like this:

[Image: optilife.jpg]
The mask is also available with a "Cradle Cushion" instead of the nasal pillows cushion shown in the picture. But I can't find an image of a cradle cushion on the PR websites.
Post Reply Post Reply
Robysue that's the one that I thought would be God's gift, but NOT for me. It looks great and it's inexpensive on the net, but every time my mouth dropped, it pulled the nasal pillows just enough to leak. Others may have better luck with this rig than I did.

Also for anyone interested in this gear, I did notice that the exhaust port on this one is louder than any thing else I've tried.

Maybe I am an inventor at heart. After looking at this design further, it occurs to me that if the chin strap tension was directed more up into the head band, it might work better. That plastic bar that the straps attach to acts like a lever. If the chin strap went past that bar and up onto the head band, maybe it would not cause leaks. OK are there any patent lawyers on this forum? I wonder what response I would get if I contacted the company that makes it with an idea.
Post Reply Post Reply
What about one of those rap around pillows for flying.
Or maybe a chip clip on your lips. LOL
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-12-2014, 08:34 PM)Bladskinner Wrote: What about one of those rap around pillows for flying.
Or maybe a chip clip on your lips. LOL
Thanks Bladskinner but I have given up on the nasal mask. I gave it my best shot including multiple chin straps, chin pads, surgical tape and tongue training. It's a fact that, no matter how tightly my jaw is clamped shut, my tongue is nowhere near the roof of my mouth.

The good news is I am happy as a clam (open) with my new Fisher & Paykel Simplus mask. It is roomy inside with big pillows which rarely leak!

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Adjusting to Nasal Pillow Mask DenKen31 9 997 04-12-2024, 09:57 PM
Last Post: MaskedOne
  Chin Tucking as cause of apnea ejbpesca 119 6,744 04-12-2024, 01:32 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  How can I rectify skin breakage from nasal mask? evenflow 2 168 03-20-2024, 10:18 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  How can I tell if my mouth is open with a nasal mask while I sleep? evenflow 15 1,258 03-08-2024, 09:55 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  Mask(s) to use after nasal surgery? Wonderlight 17 4,377 03-08-2024, 05:42 PM
Last Post: DoubtFire61
  How Are You Affected by Chin Tucking? BoxcarPete 5 655 03-08-2024, 04:03 PM
Last Post: DaveL
  Update on Stats After Constant Use of Knightsbridge Chin Strap cmpman1974 6 428 03-01-2024, 05:47 AM
Last Post: CPAPfriend

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.