Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Low AHI, High RDI
Low AHI, High RDI
Hi Everyone,
So, after a bit of trouble trying to get an in lab sleep study, I bit the bullet and ordered the lofta sleep study. The process was really easy and I ended up just getting diagnosed with mild obstructive sleep apnea. I am 22, 6'2 195, so not the typical sleep apnea patient, although I understand typical is a broad word. I have always been tired all day for as long as I can remember, taking a nap in every class in high school. Low energy throughout the day, afternoon naps are common, lack of focus and concentration etc. I originally saw a doctor for ADHD and I mentioned so many things about sleep to them they recommended me get a sleep study before they would treat me.
So anyways, I got my sleep study results back. My sleep diagnosis is as follows "REM related obstructive sleep apnea (G47.33) - Mild based on a REM pRDI=12.6 and O2 nadir of 95%." This is with 7 and a half hours of true sleep time according to the study.
However, my AHI throughout the night was .3, with three total events.....
Can anyone explain the diagnosis to me, as it seems my AHI is nonexistent, but the pRDI is what caused the diagnosis. 8.9 RDI events per hour and 68 total events.
I am aware that at home studies often underplay sleep apnea, and I am happy to at least get a diagnosis as I have all the sleep apnea symptoms, but I feel like .3 is super low regardless.
Thanks for the help everyone! 
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Low AHI, High RDI
Replying to this as I don't believe it will let me edit. Could this be UARS? I have yet to meet with the doctor from LOFTA about my diagnosis, but in the info emailed to me it says that they recommend CPAP therapy for treatment. Would it be worth trying to book a lab study in the future, or is the best course of action to go ahead and get the CPAP machine and start working to see if I can alleviate my symptoms?
Post Reply Post Reply
Can you post a redacted copy of the full report?
Jeff8356

MacBook Air (2017, Intel) | macOS Monterey (12.7) | OSCAR v1.5.1 | VM = Win10/Win11 |
How to Links:
Installing OSCAR on a Mac
Organizing your OSCAR charts
Attaching screenshots and files for the forum
OSCAR Help
OSCAR - The Guide

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ndex_(RDI) RDI

A lab study may give more details of the arousal . Is it all breathing issues, do you have leg movements etc. I do not know about the lofta test.
Post Reply Post Reply
What would be the best way to do that? There is no one page that contains all the information, it is a 15 page report with the info spread out across the pages. Sorry about that, I am new here.
Post Reply Post Reply
Info.

REM related obstructive sleep apnea (G47.33) - Mild based on a REM pRDI=12.6 and O2 nadir of 95%
7 Hours 38 mins sleep time
8.9 RDI events per hour, 68 RDI events during sleep
.3 AHI events per hour, 3 AHI events during sleep
95 min oxygen saturation, 96 average oxygen saturation, 100 maximum oxygen saturation
43 BPM pulse minumum, 59 BPM pulse average, 102 BPM pulse maximum
Snoring > 40 decibels 18.3 minutes, snoring > 50 decibels 4.1 minutes, snoring > 60 decibels 2.2 minutes
Sleeping Positions
Back: 100 minutes, RDI 7.9, AHI 0, ODI 0
Stomach: 14 minutes, RDI 25.2, AHI 0, ODI 0
Right: 154 Minutes, RDI 11.8, AHI 0.4, ODI 0.4
Left: 197.3 minutes, RDI 6.1, AHI 0.6, ODI 0.6
Sleep Stages:
Light Sleep/N1 and N2: 52.17%
Deep Sleep/ N3: 25.98%
REM Sleep: 21.85%

That is all of the info included in my report. Please let me know if that helps or if you need anything else. 
Post Reply Post Reply
It cold be

Please post a redacted full copy of the report, it should I clude charts and tables
Post Reply Post Reply
What is the recommended way to post a sleep study report? If I'm not mistaken, when I tried posting mine, the forum software said PDFs were not allowed to be uploaded for some reason. So converted the 6 page PDF to images - but only allowed to upload 3 documents at a time.

Ended up creating 2 long images in photoshop, and needed to compress them to stay below the 1.2 MB file limit.
Post Reply Post Reply
With mild obstructive sleep apnea, or episodes of partial airway resistance (hypopnea) and a lack of comorbid conditions and absence of significant desaturation events, it appears you are not headed towards CPAP therapy. There are some tools you can use to mitigate the problem, even without CPAP or bilevel positive air pressure. As a young fit individual, you can anticipate the condition will be progressive, and will likely correlate with increases in weight or declines in fitness and of course any use of alcohol or drugs that reduce tone in the throat and airway. When events are clustered, it is often the result of chin-tucking or a sleeping position that restricts the airway. Your study associated the increased events with REM and this is a particularly complex portion of sleep, often with a sleep paralysis that might aggravate any positional aspects to your airway resistance. Take a look at our wiki and consider if there is anyway you can perhaps reduce the number of pillows or find other ways to avoid chin-tucking. Try the self-diagnostic test to see if it is a risk for you. http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...onal_Apnea
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Phillips Dreamstation 2 High Disconnects mrsleepyhead2001 2 124 03-22-2024, 04:20 PM
Last Post: mrsleepyhead2001
  [Pressure] ASV pressure too high. Please Help Mosleepy 27 689 03-21-2024, 10:13 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Oscar Charts: Interrupted sleep with high heart rate xaid 1 104 03-19-2024, 08:15 AM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Recently started CPAP -- very high proportion of Clear Airway Events matt2 0 116 03-17-2024, 02:48 PM
Last Post: matt2
  COSA, hypoxemia, AFIB, high BP, polycythemia, and CBTI? Motorheadrulz 45 4,413 03-16-2024, 11:21 AM
Last Post: Motorheadrulz
  Stumbled into amazing fix for my high ahi Lanners 2 212 03-09-2024, 11:15 AM
Last Post: kkjacks
  High Pressures - Inflammation of the CV system? MrIvanDrago 5 296 03-05-2024, 07:14 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.