Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Low AHI but sleepy
Low AHI but sleepy
Hi,

My AHI is low but I am tired the next day.   I am thinking it is due to the hypo events but at 69 I wonder if its just my age.  Dunno.   Attached oscar data from last night.   From what I've read, I think my best attempt would be to lower the hypo events by increasing the EPR but thought I'd ask this group for suggestions.   I am be way off track and its not the hypo events at all. 

On a side note ... I think the period of time from 3am to 6am contains events or actions that affect my TMJ.   I have a muscular issue with TMJ.  No joint issues.  I wake up at 3am and jaw muscles feel ok.  I wake up at 6am and muscles are a bit stiff and ache a bit.  Looking for the connection but it hasn't revealed itself yet.

Would appreciate any suggestions to lessen the senation of being tired or sleepy the next day.    If I exercise I perk up but otherwise I drag a bit.

Much Thanks!   -Don

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Low AHI but sleepy
You could be experiencing arousals from your pressure range. I would tighten it up to 10 to 13, set your EPR to 2, and turn off your ramp. The EPR is to help reduce your flow limitations. The pressure settings take into account the recommended EPR. If you elect to go to an EPR setting of 3, the maximum, your pressure settings would then be 11 to 14.

Also, please use the F12 key when in OSCAR to take your screenshots.

- Red
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks Red!

F12 on my iMac changes sound settings.   I use the preview app and then resize the image down.

I'll try your suggestions and post back.

Thanks!   -Don
Post Reply Post Reply
It looked like you were on a Windows machine.  In your case, it will be Fn+F12.

Sorry!  Confused

- Red
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Shift + Command + 3  =  screen capture on my iMac      <--- that is a numeric 3 and not F3

I typically just use Preview to do it.

Its all good.   -Don
Post Reply Post Reply
The Fn+F12 is the OSCAR screenshot capture command and is different from your system's screen capture.

- Red
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Apnea Helpful Tips

Post Reply Post Reply
I average AHI of 10+- and have a date for double bipass and a Aortic valve in 4 weeks and I am 76yo- I am not tired in the morning, can't keep it up like I used to tho.
Post Reply Post Reply
OSCAR's built in screenshot function will turn off the Pie Chart and Calendar to snap the image. They are not necessary and usually move the settings panel down to far to read all the valuable info needed. fn + F12 (or View > Take Screenshot) are the preferred methods.
Or, just turn off the Calendar (fn + F9) and Pie Chart (fn + F3) before taking the screenshot using using your Mac's screenshot tool. Both can also be turned off from View in the toolbar.

See the links in my signature for chart organization and posting them in the forum.
Jeff8356

MacBook Air (2017, Intel) | macOS Monterey (12.7) | OSCAR v1.5.1 | VM = Win10/Win11 |
How to Links:
Installing OSCAR on a Mac
Organizing your OSCAR charts
Attaching screenshots and files for the forum
OSCAR Help
OSCAR - The Guide

Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks Jeff!   Indeed .... Fn + F12 ... works just fine within Oscar.   I was only looking at system tools.

I'll follow the links to improve my posts. 

Thanks again,  Don
Post Reply Post Reply
I started at:

maxP = 12.6
minP = 4
epr = 1
ramp = 10 mins

Went to:

same pressures
epr = 2
ramp off

I would have changed pressures too but wanted to change fewer settings to correlate changes to sleep improvements.

First off ... amazing the diff in how the resmed 10 behaves.   Before, the machine would crank up air even when I was awake.   Loud air noises from machine and also mask venting.  Never understood this.   Now?   The machine provides gentle therapy that I would say is almost unnoticeable.

Result ... AHI is less than 1 and I feel much better.

I'll stay at this setting for a couple of weeks and observe things before trying changes to pressure.  By this I mean taking min and max closer together. 

Thanks for the help!  -Don
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Help understanding OSCAR Data - Feeling Tired all day (not sleepy) elsanti1976 9 559 01-21-2024, 04:23 PM
Last Post: elsanti1976
  Still Sleepy? HotdogFriendo 4 373 01-15-2024, 11:38 AM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  [CPAP] Low AHI, compliant but still sleepy jamwin 2 340 11-30-2023, 02:56 PM
Last Post: jamwin
  Low AHI, Comfortable w/ APAP but Still Sleepy SJGD7 3 1,098 10-10-2023, 09:58 AM
Last Post: gainerfull
  Still sleepy during the day - low tidal, high resp.? mildOA 3 496 09-19-2023, 09:27 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
Gross Forever sleepy - help! mjw423 7 824 05-14-2023, 01:04 AM
Last Post: Old Mike
  [CPAP] Too Sleepy's Therapy Thread Too Sleepy 23 2,208 02-24-2023, 03:41 PM
Last Post: Too Sleepy

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.