Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Low AHI isn't the full story - or How do I control these leaks?
(03-01-2014, 08:04 PM)DeepBreathing Wrote: For the first time ever I got a red frowny face on my readout. Angry

My AHI was only 1.8 but because of all the leaks I didn't even make four hours of therapy last night and woke up with a bad headache. SWMBO said the leaks disturbed her sleep also.

When I was trialling machines I had a Quattro Air on loan - it was brilliant. When I purchased the machine they gave me a bright shiny new Quattro Air which has always leaked. Sad I have a Pad-a-cheek liner for it, which initially helped the leaks, but now I'm getting results like the attached...

I'm also waking up with a really dry mouth and sore throat so I'm obviously mouth-breathing a lot. I tend to have a stuffy nose at the best of times and some trials with a nasal mask and pillows were a disaster.

Not sure where to go from here. The Quattro Air was the only mask that I really liked so I don't want to jump back on the merry-go-round of trialling masks. Maybe I'll just buy new cushions for the Air and see how that goes.

Change the cushion, if you haven't already. I resisted doing that on mine, because it looked fine, but a new one made the mask nearly leak free again.

I think the Quattro Air does need a cushion replacement at least every two months to keep its seal. I never had any luck using pad liners with this mask; they just make the leaking worse (although it is a quieter leak).
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-02-2014, 10:10 AM)c0reDump Wrote: Might need to lose the goatee...

How dare you Sir! :grin: I've had a beard or goatee for 40 years and I'm not losing it now. No, I'll have to find a way around this, with dignity and facial hair intact.

(03-02-2014, 10:10 AM)c0reDump Wrote: With your VPAP settings, you have large pressure swings on each breathe so you will have a really tough time with leaks -- hope you can find a solution!

Thanks c0reDump. You're right, the pressure does fluctuate quite a bit. I'm thinking of raising the minimum a bit to reduce the fluctuations and that might also manage the flow limitations a bit better.
DeepBreathing
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Bed

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-02-2014, 10:44 AM)Lukie Wrote: I had the Quattro Air and it leaked like a sieve. All of the full face masks leak. However, I am finding the F&P Simplus to be really great. I use a single strap ResMed chin strap to keep my jaw up and minimize mouth farts and jaw drops. I also use an eye mask. Both things seem to work like a Remzee and keep at least the perception of leaks way down and the numbers of leaks to an acceptable level.

Thanks Lukie - I'll have a look at the Simplus. I might also try a Remzee liner instead of the Pad-a-cheek, which is a bit fiddly.
DeepBreathing
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Bed

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

(03-02-2014, 11:06 AM)mdh235 Wrote: Change the cushion, if you haven't already. I resisted doing that on mine, because it looked fine, but a new one made the mask nearly leak free again.

I think the Quattro Air does need a cushion replacement at least every two months to keep its seal. I never had any luck using pad liners with this mask; they just make the leaking worse (although it is a quieter leak).

Thanks mdh235. Yeah, first thing is to get a new cushion and see how that goes. I really don't want to be getting a new cushion every two months, though - they're not covered by insurance here so that is going to be a big drain. Sad
DeepBreathing
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Bed

Post Reply Post Reply
(03-02-2014, 06:13 PM)DeepBreathing Wrote:
(03-02-2014, 11:06 AM)mdh235 Wrote: Change the cushion, if you haven't already. I resisted doing that on mine, because it looked fine, but a new one made the mask nearly leak free again.

Thanks mdh235. Yeah, first thing is to get a new cushion and see how that goes. I really don't want to be getting a new cushion every two months, though - they're not covered by insurance here so that is going to be a big drain. Sad

can you get the cushions from a US supplier and maybe buy 12 at a time (they should last a year then....or buy enough to make it worth your while with the fees that have to be paid). Just a thought.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-02-2014, 06:57 PM)me50 Wrote: can you get the cushions from a US supplier and maybe buy 12 at a time (they should last a year then....or buy enough to make it worth your while with the fees that have to be paid). Just a thought.

It works out about the same - the cost of one cushion plus freight is around the same cost as a cushion here - around $80. I presume if I buy a couple at once then the freight cost is defrayed over the whole lot, so that makes it a bit more economic.

I tell you it gives me the ^%&^%$ paying this "Australia tax" on everything. Crying-into-tissue Angry
DeepBreathing
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Bed

Post Reply Post Reply

(03-02-2014, 10:49 PM)DeepBreathing Wrote: It works out about the same - the cost of one cushion plus freight is around the same cost as a cushion here - around $80. I presume if I buy a couple at once then the freight cost is defrayed over the whole lot, so that makes it a bit more economic.

I bought two cushions for my Wisp on US Amazon for $22, including shipping to my US address. That is less than my Medicare co-pay if I bought them from my DME.
Post Reply Post Reply
I used the Quattro Air for 2 nights. I first night I had major leaks and got little sleep. I had a red unsmiley face on my S9 that morning. The next night the leaks were better but still did not get a good sleep and since the only reason I got the FFM was because I'm a mouth breather and I thought the FFM would cure that and it didn't, I stopped using it and went back to my nasal pillows (Airfit P10) with chin strap (tensor bandage).
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-03-2014, 01:19 AM)JJJ Wrote:
(03-02-2014, 10:49 PM)DeepBreathing Wrote: It works out about the same - the cost of one cushion plus freight is around the same cost as a cushion here - around $80. I presume if I buy a couple at once then the freight cost is defrayed over the whole lot, so that makes it a bit more economic.

I bought two cushions for my Wisp on US Amazon for $22, including shipping to my US address. That is less than my Medicare co-pay if I bought them from my DME.

My 2 cushions (medicare) cost me about $8.60 per month for my wisp.
Post Reply Post Reply

I also wear a full beard and struggled with the quattro air.

I tried the quattro air for about a week, and it seemed to get worse by the day. It wasn't bad, comfort wise. I liked the weight. The issue was, no matter what I did, it would start leaking around my nose at night.

I ended up with a mirage quattro, and it fit similar, but more secure. The mirage version wasn't perfect either, so I ended up adding a pad-a-cheak mask liner (the remzzzs drove me nuts). This helped a good bit.

What really brought it all together for me though, was the pad-a-cheek anti-leak strap. It wraps around the mask and your head and allows you to put just a little more pressure on the front of the mask in just the right spot. I found this almost impossible using the 4 points of the headgear alone.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Smile The new Resmed Airtouch F20 full face mask Rastur 19 974 10 hours ago
Last Post: altamont03
  Are leaks affecting my data and making it look better than it should be? cmckenna 3 118 06-23-2017, 11:04 AM
Last Post: cmckenna
Arrow Your Personal CPAP Success Story - Post Here SuperSleeper 797 231,343 06-20-2017, 04:23 PM
Last Post: lagomorfo
  Lip gets stuck- full face mask (F10/F20) regbeach 2 152 06-18-2017, 05:24 PM
Last Post: Melman
  Leaks and Hypopnea Index with resmed aircurve 10 ASV ckingzzzs 6 186 06-13-2017, 08:05 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Trying to move to nasal/pillow mask. Leaks? tedgreen 12 397 06-06-2017, 03:39 AM
Last Post: Sleepster
  AIRFIT F10 LEAKS dizzy1 15 407 06-05-2017, 10:07 PM
Last Post: ajack