Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Low AHI isn't the full story - or How do I control these leaks?
Low AHI isn't the full story - or How do I control these leaks?
For the first time ever I got a red frowny face on my readout. Angry

My AHI was only 1.8 but because of all the leaks I didn't even make four hours of therapy last night and woke up with a bad headache. SWMBO said the leaks disturbed her sleep also.

When I was trialling machines I had a Quattro Air on loan - it was brilliant. When I purchased the machine they gave me a bright shiny new Quattro Air which has always leaked. Sad I have a Pad-a-cheek liner for it, which initially helped the leaks, but now I'm getting results like the attached...

I'm also waking up with a really dry mouth and sore throat so I'm obviously mouth-breathing a lot. I tend to have a stuffy nose at the best of times and some trials with a nasal mask and pillows were a disaster.

Not sure where to go from here. The Quattro Air was the only mask that I really liked so I don't want to jump back on the merry-go-round of trialling masks. Maybe I'll just buy new cushions for the Air and see how that goes.

[attachment=717]
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Low AHI isn't the full story - or How do I control these leaks?
Wonder if your loaner mask was a different size from your new mask? Anyhow, I've found that even the slightest bit of facial oil residue on the mask is enough to cause leaks.

Try washing the mask with soap to remove any oils. Shaving helps to prevent leaks from facial hair. Also rubbing aloe on your face 5-10 minutes before putting on the mask (let the aloe dry first), helps with leaks that could be from dry skin.

I suspect the leaks are causing your dry mouth too.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-01-2014, 08:04 PM)DeepBreathing Wrote: Not sure where to go from here. The Quattro Air was the only mask that I really liked so I don't want to jump back on the merry-go-round of trialling masks. Maybe I'll just buy new cushions for the Air and see how that goes.

Why not do both? I would suggest you try a hybrid mask, and get the new cushions for your old mask, too.

Sometimes it helps to be able to switch back and forth between masks.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-01-2014, 08:33 PM)c0reDump Wrote: Wonder if your loaner mask was a different size from your new mask? Anyhow, I've found that even the slightest bit of facial oil residue on the mask is enough to cause leaks.

Try washing the mask with soap to remove any oils. Shaving helps to prevent leaks from facial hair. Also rubbing aloe on your face 5-10 minutes before putting on the mask (let the aloe dry first), helps with leaks that could be from dry skin.

I suspect the leaks are causing your dry mouth too.

Thanks CoreDump. It happens that last night being Saturday I had gone through my Saturday ritual of stripping everything down for a thorough cleaning, hot water rinse and air-dry. (Including the Pad-a-cheek). I also run the razor over my face (apart from the goatee) before going to bed, so there's no stubble. So last night - the worst night ever - everything was clean, dry and smooth.
Post Reply Post Reply
Well, let that be a lesson to you! Never wash anything ever again! Duh!

But seriously, if you did just do a cleaning, make sure you put it together right. My bet is something isn't in right and that's why you had such bad leaks suddenly.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
(03-01-2014, 09:19 PM)Sleepster Wrote:
(03-01-2014, 08:04 PM)DeepBreathing Wrote: Not sure where to go from here. The Quattro Air was the only mask that I really liked so I don't want to jump back on the merry-go-round of trialling masks. Maybe I'll just buy new cushions for the Air and see how that goes.

Why not do both? I would suggest you try a hybrid mask, and get the new cushions for your old mask, too.

Sometimes it helps to be able to switch back and forth between masks.

Hybrid mask - mouth plus nasal pillows? Eeew! Vomit I can't stand nasal pillows - the very thought of them makes my skin crawl. (Yes I have tried them).

As for trying yet another type of mask, I tried quite a few before the Quattro Air, and none of them were particularly successful. I'd rather find a way to make the Air work for me (like it did before) rather than shelling out a couple of hundred bucks for something which may not work at all.

Thanks for the suggestion, sorry if I sounded dismissive.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-01-2014, 10:02 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote: Well, let that be a lesson to you! Never wash anything ever again! Duh!

But seriously, if you did just do a cleaning, make sure you put it together right. My bet is something isn't in right and that's why you had such bad leaks suddenly.

Everything seems to be connected right. The liner needs a bit of poking and prodding to get it just right so maybe that slipped during the night. I have put a couple of additional velcro patches on it to hold it more firmly to the shell of the mask.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-01-2014, 08:04 PM)DeepBreathing Wrote: I tend to have a stuffy nose at the best of times and some trials with a nasal mask and pillows were a disaster.
Sinus rinse helps with stuffy nose, I get either Neilmed or Flo pre-packed sachets from the chemist to use with the squeezey bottle in the evening and sometimes during the day

All along I thought increase humidity is better, my sleep doctor and ENT told me so but now I come to conclusion less is better for my nose ymmv
Post Reply Post Reply
Might need to lose the goatee... I shaved mine off when I started CPAP therapy (had the goatee for 15 years).

With your VPAP settings, you have large pressure swings on each breathe so you will have a really tough time with leaks -- hope you can find a solution!
Post Reply Post Reply
I had the Quattro Air and it leaked like a sieve. All of the full face masks leak. However, I am finding the F&P Simplus to be really great. I use a single strap ResMed chin strap to keep my jaw up and minimize mouth farts and jaw drops. I also use an eye mask. Both things seem to work like a Remzee and keep at least the perception of leaks way down and the numbers of leaks to an acceptable level.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Evora FFM Phantom Leaks psinderbrand 6 278 03-26-2024, 08:56 AM
Last Post: psinderbrand
Arrow Your Personal CPAP Success Story - Post Here SuperSleeper 1,364 625,817 03-24-2024, 07:19 PM
Last Post: SuperSleeper
  OSCAR flow rate assessment -- mouth leaks, palatal prolapse? manders513 9 225 03-22-2024, 06:16 PM
Last Post: BigWing
  Question on the Hybernite Rainout control tube runcyclexcski 2 105 03-21-2024, 05:29 AM
Last Post: runcyclexcski
  relationship to flow rate and leaks sleepingbetterinFl 2 132 03-19-2024, 10:47 AM
Last Post: sleepingbetterinFl
  Well, I thought I had AHI under control... LookingForACleverHandle 15 954 03-18-2024, 08:19 PM
Last Post: LookingForACleverHandle
  Concerned about large leaks sleepingbetterinFl 5 157 03-14-2024, 05:56 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.