Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Low AHI isn't the full story - or How do I control these leaks?
RE: Low AHI isn't the full story - or How do I control these leaks?
(03-01-2014, 08:04 PM)DeepBreathing Wrote: For the first time ever I got a red frowny face on my readout. Angry

My AHI was only 1.8 but because of all the leaks I didn't even make four hours of therapy last night and woke up with a bad headache. SWMBO said the leaks disturbed her sleep also.

When I was trialling machines I had a Quattro Air on loan - it was brilliant. When I purchased the machine they gave me a bright shiny new Quattro Air which has always leaked. Sad I have a Pad-a-cheek liner for it, which initially helped the leaks, but now I'm getting results like the attached...

I'm also waking up with a really dry mouth and sore throat so I'm obviously mouth-breathing a lot. I tend to have a stuffy nose at the best of times and some trials with a nasal mask and pillows were a disaster.

Not sure where to go from here. The Quattro Air was the only mask that I really liked so I don't want to jump back on the merry-go-round of trialling masks. Maybe I'll just buy new cushions for the Air and see how that goes.

Change the cushion, if you haven't already. I resisted doing that on mine, because it looked fine, but a new one made the mask nearly leak free again.

I think the Quattro Air does need a cushion replacement at least every two months to keep its seal. I never had any luck using pad liners with this mask; they just make the leaking worse (although it is a quieter leak).
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-02-2014, 10:10 AM)c0reDump Wrote: Might need to lose the goatee...

How dare you Sir! :grin: I've had a beard or goatee for 40 years and I'm not losing it now. No, I'll have to find a way around this, with dignity and facial hair intact.

(03-02-2014, 10:10 AM)c0reDump Wrote: With your VPAP settings, you have large pressure swings on each breathe so you will have a really tough time with leaks -- hope you can find a solution!

Thanks c0reDump. You're right, the pressure does fluctuate quite a bit. I'm thinking of raising the minimum a bit to reduce the fluctuations and that might also manage the flow limitations a bit better.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-02-2014, 10:44 AM)Lukie Wrote: I had the Quattro Air and it leaked like a sieve. All of the full face masks leak. However, I am finding the F&P Simplus to be really great. I use a single strap ResMed chin strap to keep my jaw up and minimize mouth farts and jaw drops. I also use an eye mask. Both things seem to work like a Remzee and keep at least the perception of leaks way down and the numbers of leaks to an acceptable level.

Thanks Lukie - I'll have a look at the Simplus. I might also try a Remzee liner instead of the Pad-a-cheek, which is a bit fiddly.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-02-2014, 11:06 AM)mdh235 Wrote: Change the cushion, if you haven't already. I resisted doing that on mine, because it looked fine, but a new one made the mask nearly leak free again.

I think the Quattro Air does need a cushion replacement at least every two months to keep its seal. I never had any luck using pad liners with this mask; they just make the leaking worse (although it is a quieter leak).

Thanks mdh235. Yeah, first thing is to get a new cushion and see how that goes. I really don't want to be getting a new cushion every two months, though - they're not covered by insurance here so that is going to be a big drain. Sad
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-02-2014, 06:13 PM)DeepBreathing Wrote:
(03-02-2014, 11:06 AM)mdh235 Wrote: Change the cushion, if you haven't already. I resisted doing that on mine, because it looked fine, but a new one made the mask nearly leak free again.

Thanks mdh235. Yeah, first thing is to get a new cushion and see how that goes. I really don't want to be getting a new cushion every two months, though - they're not covered by insurance here so that is going to be a big drain. Sad

can you get the cushions from a US supplier and maybe buy 12 at a time (they should last a year then....or buy enough to make it worth your while with the fees that have to be paid). Just a thought.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-02-2014, 06:57 PM)me50 Wrote: can you get the cushions from a US supplier and maybe buy 12 at a time (they should last a year then....or buy enough to make it worth your while with the fees that have to be paid). Just a thought.

It works out about the same - the cost of one cushion plus freight is around the same cost as a cushion here - around $80. I presume if I buy a couple at once then the freight cost is defrayed over the whole lot, so that makes it a bit more economic.

I tell you it gives me the ^%&^%$ paying this "Australia tax" on everything. Crying-into-tissue Angry
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-02-2014, 10:49 PM)DeepBreathing Wrote: It works out about the same - the cost of one cushion plus freight is around the same cost as a cushion here - around $80. I presume if I buy a couple at once then the freight cost is defrayed over the whole lot, so that makes it a bit more economic.

I bought two cushions for my Wisp on US Amazon for $22, including shipping to my US address. That is less than my Medicare co-pay if I bought them from my DME.
Post Reply Post Reply
I used the Quattro Air for 2 nights. I first night I had major leaks and got little sleep. I had a red unsmiley face on my S9 that morning. The next night the leaks were better but still did not get a good sleep and since the only reason I got the FFM was because I'm a mouth breather and I thought the FFM would cure that and it didn't, I stopped using it and went back to my nasal pillows (Airfit P10) with chin strap (tensor bandage).
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-03-2014, 01:19 AM)JJJ Wrote:
(03-02-2014, 10:49 PM)DeepBreathing Wrote: It works out about the same - the cost of one cushion plus freight is around the same cost as a cushion here - around $80. I presume if I buy a couple at once then the freight cost is defrayed over the whole lot, so that makes it a bit more economic.

I bought two cushions for my Wisp on US Amazon for $22, including shipping to my US address. That is less than my Medicare co-pay if I bought them from my DME.

My 2 cushions (medicare) cost me about $8.60 per month for my wisp.
Post Reply Post Reply
I also wear a full beard and struggled with the quattro air.

I tried the quattro air for about a week, and it seemed to get worse by the day. It wasn't bad, comfort wise. I liked the weight. The issue was, no matter what I did, it would start leaking around my nose at night.

I ended up with a mirage quattro, and it fit similar, but more secure. The mirage version wasn't perfect either, so I ended up adding a pad-a-cheak mask liner (the remzzzs drove me nuts). This helped a good bit.

What really brought it all together for me though, was the pad-a-cheek anti-leak strap. It wraps around the mask and your head and allows you to put just a little more pressure on the front of the mask in just the right spot. I found this almost impossible using the 4 points of the headgear alone.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Chronic's Story chronic 19 781 04-16-2024, 07:49 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Evora FFM Phantom Leaks psinderbrand 8 443 04-09-2024, 11:43 PM
Last Post: QT Pie
  [Treatment] AHI under control but flow limitation issues guzzle 2 230 04-03-2024, 02:12 PM
Last Post: guzzle
Angry Waking Up with CPAP, Not Getting Full Nights Rest. What Settings to Change? xgrea40 3 322 04-01-2024, 11:40 AM
Last Post: jcp519
Arrow Your Personal CPAP Success Story - Post Here SuperSleeper 1,364 629,490 03-24-2024, 07:19 PM
Last Post: SuperSleeper
  OSCAR flow rate assessment -- mouth leaks, palatal prolapse? manders513 9 354 03-22-2024, 06:16 PM
Last Post: BigWing
  Question on the Hybernite Rainout control tube runcyclexcski 2 162 03-21-2024, 05:29 AM
Last Post: runcyclexcski

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.