Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Treatment] user since July. AHI looks good but still many leaks - Advice?
user since July. AHI looks good but still many leaks - Advice?
Thank you for your help on this forum. I have been a lurker for several months and I am going back to my doctor for the first time since getting my Resmed 10

I am still struggling with leaks and pressure. nose pillows and pressure of 8.

Usually I am at 2-3 AHI now. 

I twitch a lot and maybe that is the reason for my leaks?

Sometimes I get dry mouth but I would prefer not to have a full mask. Maybe just tape my mouth?

I wake up several times during the night but I feel well rested in the morning and get about 7 hours of real sleep. Just would like to remove those leaks

Thanks

[attachment=5447]

[attachment=5448]
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: user since July. AHI looks good but still many leaks - Advice?
Your leaks appear to be typical for air pressure escaping via the mouth. The best way to control these leaks is just to practice excluding pressure from the mouth by using the tongue at the roof of your mouth behind the teeth, and suck like with a straw. This creates a strong seal that can work through the night once you are aware of how to do it. Taping and chin straps all can let pressure enter your mouth, and this can leave you with the air-filled cheeks and discomfort of that pressure in your mouth, rather than in your airway where it belongs. Many members successfully tape, chin straps or soft cervical collars as aids, but eventually you want to practice control over your airway using your tongue and keeping the jaw closed. A full face mask is not all that bad and puts the mouth and nose under the same air pressure so it can be easier to maintain that seal.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I use a nasal pillow mask too, the AirFit P10, and have problems with leaks and I do open my mouth at times. I attribute the mouth opening to pressure which in my case runs a bit higher at about 11 cm. I also have had a hard time keeping the mask straps in the right place on my head and they move around and even fall off in the night. For the last two nights I have used a chin strap and it seems to help. I put the mask on first and then the chin strap. The chin strap encourages me to keep my mouth closed, and it also keeps the nasal pillow mask in place. I never have to readjust it in the night, which I was continually doing before. These chin straps are often sold as anti snoring devices and are cheap on eBay. See pic below. They have a Velco patch at the top of the head and at the back for adjustment.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Drake55 and welcome to the forum!

It is possible your mask is not adjusted to the optimal fitting. Try this link as it helped me some time ago:

http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...GUARANTEED

Good luck and I wish you success with your ongoing xPap therapy!
APNEABOARD - A great place to be if you're a hosehead!!  Rolleyes  

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
EVERY ACCOMPLISHMENT BEGINS WITH THE DECISION TO TRY!
Post Reply Post Reply
I would avoid the chin strap shown above. They tend to pull back on the jaw and that can lead to soreness in the Jaw and TMJ. The better solution is a soft cervical collar which has the added benefit of preventing positional issues that can cause obstructive apnea events.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Anyone know what a good starting point for a woman using an ASV would be? erouting 5 76 Yesterday, 07:36 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
Sad [Treatment] Therapy is helping, but only a little - good AHI numbers, bad sleep tiredsleeper 4 198 04-16-2024, 11:57 AM
Last Post: tiredsleeper
  OSCAR advice juniper 7 177 04-12-2024, 05:17 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  [Symptoms] Good until 3am, then awake sadness AvocadoSniffer 2 141 04-12-2024, 12:04 AM
Last Post: AvocadoSniffer
  Evora FFM Phantom Leaks psinderbrand 8 445 04-09-2024, 11:43 PM
Last Post: QT Pie
  [Pressure] Advice on pressure adjustments akarifur 52 2,545 04-06-2024, 01:23 PM
Last Post: akarifur
  Poor quality sleep on ASV with good AHI sleepydawg99 10 786 04-03-2024, 01:39 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.