Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Low AHI, poor sleep quality - what's wrong?
Low AHI, poor sleep quality - what's wrong?
Hi everyone,

First post on the forum. Glad I found this place. I started with treatment about a month ago. The past two weeks of sleep have not been good. I look at my AHI, and I see nothing wrong. When I see the OSCAR graphs, they tell a different story, which I can't decipher. My uninformed guess is high leakage rates. Any thoughts as to what is going on? I have a week's worth of graphs in a drop box that I can't quite link due to being a new member. I can attach the last three nights' graphs to the post.

I have graphical data dating back to 1-30-23 if that would be helpful for anyone to see. 

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Low AHI, poor sleep quality - what's wrong?
I would GUESS it has to do with flow limits but you have not included the flow limits chart.  Take a look at it your self - IF you have quite a few flow limits try EPR setting to full time and to 3 pressure.

Give it a try and post again being sure you have the flow limits chart.  You can make each chart smaller by clicking on the bottom line in the chart and drag it up (keeping the button clicked) or bigger by clinking on the bottom line and dragging it down.
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
If we look at the Statistics panel on the left, we see that 95% Flow Limits are 0.06, 0.09, and 0.10. The consensus of the the board experts is 'less than 0.10 is acceptable, and less that 0.05 is better'.

So the suggest to increase EPR to 3 Full Time has merit, and you could experiment with turn off the Ramp.
Apnea Board Monitors are members who help oversee the smooth functioning of the Board. They are also members of the Advisory Committee which helps shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-14-2023, 08:46 AM)User6969 Wrote: Hi everyone,

First post on the forum. Glad I found this place. I started with treatment about a month ago. The past two weeks of sleep have not been good. I look at my AHI, and I see nothing wrong. When I see the OSCAR graphs, they tell a different story, which I can't decipher. My uninformed guess is high leakage rates. Any thoughts as to what is going on? I have a week's worth of graphs in a drop box that I can't quite link due to being a new member. I can attach the last three nights' graphs to the post.

I have graphical data dating back to 1-30-23 if that would be helpful for anyone to see. 
Added flow limit to last three nights' charts. I did not sleep well last night, which coincides with the number of events recorded in last night's sleep.

Post Reply Post Reply
Do flow limits have a direct correlation to pressure settings and leakage rate? If there is no leakage detected, would that indicate the flow limit problem is related to the min and max pressure settings I have set?

I meant to quote staceyburke's response with the above reply.
Post Reply Post Reply
It appears the inverse has happened to me. By increasing the EPR level, I have increased the flow limit percentage...

I meant to quote pholynyk's response with the above reply.
Post Reply Post Reply
Not sure what others will say but I would guess that you really don't have a good sample yet.   I would run the setting change for several days before making a determination.   Just an observation.
Post Reply Post Reply
The ResMed machine increases pressure when you have flow limits. Look at the pressure going up when you have flow limits. It does go up on all 3 days you posted. 

ResMed 10 can only go to 3 and I would suggest you set it to 3. 

There is a ResMed aircurve that can go much higher but it costs more by quite a bit.
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
1. If you increase the EPR, you should also increase min pressure by the same amount

2. Looks like your max pressure is low, because you seem to be maxing out quite a lot. Hope one of the experts on this forum will be able to give you a more concrete suggestion
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-17-2023, 04:36 PM)staceyburke Wrote: The ResMed machine increases pressure when you have flow limits. Look at the pressure going up when you have flow limits. It does go up on all 3 days you posted. 

ResMed 10 can only go to 3 and I would suggest you set it to 3. 

There is a ResMed aircurve that can go much higher but it costs more by quite a bit.

Thank you for the suggestion. That makes sense. The machine demands higher pressure, but the max limit is not set high enough to accommodate the demand, thus resulting in flow limitations.

(02-17-2023, 09:54 AM)User6969 Wrote: It appears the inverse has happened to me. By increasing the EPR level, I have increased the flow limit percentage...

I meant to quote pholynyk's response with the above reply.

Fair point. I set the min to 10, the max to 15, and the EPR to 3 on 2/19. Waiting until next week to post the graphs to see if I can notice any trends.

(02-17-2023, 11:02 AM)TexasDon Wrote: Not sure what others will say but I would guess that you really don't have a good sample yet.   I would run the setting change for several days before making a determination.   Just an observation.

Fair point. I set the min to 10, the max to 15, and the EPR to 3 on 2/19. Waiting until next week to post the graphs to see if I can notice any trends.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question INTUS Sleep results, mild sleep apnea or UARS? Chimken 1 66 Yesterday, 02:03 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  I Think Im Doing This All Wrong DudleyDoRight 9 202 Yesterday, 12:01 PM
Last Post: Dormeo
Question Help! 40 days CPAP no symptom relief. What's wrong? cpapmj 2 140 04-14-2024, 02:16 AM
Last Post: Expat31
Ohmy Very Poor Quality of OSA Research and Almost Non-existent Specific CPAP Testing mdmarmd 1 154 04-13-2024, 01:06 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Poor quality sleep on ASV with good AHI sleepydawg99 10 794 04-03-2024, 01:39 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  [Treatment] Request for Sleep Data review compared to Sleep Study thesingingchef 2 230 03-14-2024, 05:14 PM
Last Post: thesingingchef
  Poor Sleep Quality/ Respiratory Rates flyingg103 3 310 02-29-2024, 08:21 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.