Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Low AHIs, still wake up feeling awful with headaches
Low AHIs, still wake up feeling awful with headaches
I've been on CPAP for a little over a year, with decent results. My AHIs went from 40+ to under 1. However, I'm still waking up with a dry mouth and a headache a lot, and I'm not sure why. I've attached my OSCAR results from the past few nights - they seem pretty typical compared to other days. I'm on a ResMed Autosense 10 with Autoset machine, and I use a F30i Hybrid mask, if that helps at all. Let me know if there is anything else that would be useful to post.

Thanks for any ideas anyone has!

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Low AHIs, still wake up feeling awful with headaches
Welcome!   Your settings could help. Take a look at the flow limits chart and compare it with the pressures chart. You can see that the pressure is moved higher when you have increased flow limits. 

Flow limits are apnea also. To help your flow limits we use EPR (exhale pressure relief). But to use it (it lowers the exhale by 1, 2 or 3 cm) you have to raise the min pressure.  The absolute lowest the machine can go is 4 and yours is set at 5 - so you can only go do an 1 with the EPR. 

I would suggest you set the min at 7 and EPR at 3 full time. That should make you have better sleep without headache.
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks, I'll give that a try tonight!
Post Reply Post Reply
This caught my attention because I have a similar history of waking with headaches with a bad one today compared to the past week or so.

I am not the most knowledgeable person here but Stacey's advice seems good to me.  Flow limits have been a feature of my sleep too and EPR set to 3 proved to be better for me than EPR less than 3 or off. 

The only suggestion that I can really add is that, if you cannot get this resolved with pressure settings alone, consider monitoring your oxygen using an O2 ring or similar.  I do that so I know that I had a notable desaturation last night, which I have not had in a while, and I suspect that explains today's headache being so bad.  Either that or, of course, the headache is simply clouding my judgement today.
Post Reply Post Reply
I would also consider not using ramp if at all possible. You're ramping from 4.4cm to 5cm over a period of 15 minutes, then shooting straight up to 9cm because of all the flow limits (at least on the first image). This probably doesn't feel very good and doesn't deliver proper therapy for 15 minutes.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  AHI Numbers looking great but feeling like crap Jpm6179 13 412 8 hours ago
Last Post: Jpm6179
  Help a noob - low AHI but still feeling tired PeachPhantom 3 137 04-17-2024, 08:31 PM
Last Post: PeachPhantom
  [CPAP] Low AHIs but still tired EntRESTo 3 224 04-16-2024, 08:27 AM
Last Post: 40plus
Sad cause severe brain fog and unbearable headaches use cpap jiyun 1 117 04-09-2024, 08:26 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
Gross [Symptoms] Persistent headaches, nothing seems to fix haikuclue 19 948 04-08-2024, 08:36 AM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  1 Year of Therapy Still Dealing With Fatigue and Headaches Zzera 7 274 03-31-2024, 09:27 AM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  Wake up very early circa 4AM with bad headache, any help appreciated. new2paphopeful 1 145 03-30-2024, 05:48 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.