Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Low Blood Sugar
Low Blood Sugar
I had a low blood sugar episode last night. This is the first one I have had using the APAP. My AHI for that sleep segment was 12.8 all scored as OE Yet none of the other indicators Flow Rate, Flow limit or time in apnea reflect what I normal see when my AHI is elevated.

I went back to sleep after getting some milk and my AHI for the was .98 and the Flow Rate, Flow limit and time in apnea look typical which is a mix of HI CA and OA.

Does anyone have any experience with this?
Doe the Hypoglycemia effect the Algorithms ?
2004-Bon Jovi
it'll take more than a doctor to prescribe a remedy

Observations and recommendations communicated here are the perceptions of the writer and should not be misconstrued as medical advice.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Low Blood Sugar
Could you post a screenshot of what you are seeing? It would interesting to see!

I have Type 2 and experience hypoglycemia. Never thought about the times I wake up shaky if it bothered the AHI or not.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
I also have Type 1 and have encountered the hypoglycemic episodes you experienced. I guess when my Dexcom CGM "alerts" me to a low, that is all I can think about at the time. Sometimes I feel like I could eat everything in the refrigerator.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-30-2016, 09:51 AM)GrammaBear Wrote: I also have Type 1 and have encountered the hypoglycemic episodes you experienced. I guess when my Dexcom CGM "alerts" me to a low, that is all I can think about at the time. Sometimes I feel like I could eat everything in the refrigerator.

I know that feeling very wellEat-popcornBanana
2004-Bon Jovi

Observations and recommendations communicated here are the perceptions of the writer and should not be misconstrued as medical advice.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-30-2016, 09:45 AM)PaulaO2 Wrote: Could you post a screenshot of what you are seeing? It would interesting to see!

I have Type 2 and experience hypoglycemia. Never thought about the times I wake up shaky if it bothered the AHI or not.

Here are the screen shots of the two sleep session side by side.
I do have a CA in the first session which I did not notice earlier
Nevertheless, this is a out of family experience.

Please noodle the tow data sets. I am eager to see what your feedback
2004-Bon Jovi

Post Reply Post Reply
(03-30-2016, 11:31 AM)0rangebear Wrote:
(03-30-2016, 09:51 AM)GrammaBear Wrote: I also have Type 1 and have encountered the hypoglycemic episodes you experienced. I guess when my Dexcom CGM "alerts" me to a low, that is all I can think about at the time. Sometimes I feel like I could eat everything in the refrigerator.

Just out of curiosity, you mentioned drinking milk and I am wondering if that is a remedy that works well for you most of the time? I am not a milk drinker so we don't have it in the house except when we know we are having guests who do drink it. I detest those glucose tablets so hence the feeling of wanting to eat everything in the refrigerator.

Post Reply Post Reply
(03-30-2016, 01:08 PM)GrammaBear Wrote:
(03-30-2016, 11:31 AM)0rangebear Wrote:

Just out of curiosity, you mentioned drinking milk and I am wondering if that is a remedy that works well for you most of the time? I am not a milk drinker so we don't have it in the house except when we know we are having guests who do drink it. I detest those glucose tablets so hence the feeling of wanting to eat everything in the refrigerator.

Milk raises my blood sugar faster than anything else I have tried. The Lactose absorbs faster than other sugars unless you have are lactose intolerance. 2% milk has more lactose than whole milk so you can drink less to get the same glycemic effect. I usually drink and 8 oz glass of 2% to stop the shakes, chills and sweating.
2004-Bon Jovi

Post Reply Post Reply
(03-30-2016, 02:24 PM)0rangebear Wrote:
(03-30-2016, 01:08 PM)GrammaBear Wrote:
(03-30-2016, 11:31 AM)0rangebear Wrote: I know that feeling very wellEat-popcornBanana

Milk raises my blood sugar faster than anything else I have tried. The Lactose absorbs faster than other sugars unless you have are lactose intolerance. 2% milk has more lactose than whole milk so you can drink less to get the same glycemic effect. I usually drink and 8 oz glass of 2% to stop the shakes, chills and sweating.

Thank you for teaching me something that I did not know. I remember once when my husband and I were out shopping, I began to experience a low blood sugar. We stopped at a 7-11 store and I asked him to go inside and buy me something sweet as I had forgot to replenish my supply of glucose tabs. He came back from the store with chocolate milk and I drank the whole thing. It did raise my sugar but a little too high. I will look for a smaller container of 2% to have on hand.

Post Reply Post Reply
(03-30-2016, 02:46 PM)GrammaBear Wrote:
(03-30-2016, 02:24 PM)0rangebear Wrote: [quote='GrammaBear' pid='155723' dateline='1459361283']

Thank you for teaching me something that I did not know. I remember once when my husband and I were out shopping, I began to experience a low blood sugar. We stopped at a 7-11 store and I asked him to go inside and buy me something sweet as I had forgot to replenish my supply of glucose tabs. He came back from the store with chocolate milk and I drank the whole thing. It did raise my sugar but a little too high. I will look for a smaller container of 2% to have on hand.
[/quote

That makes perfect sense.Triathletes drink chocolate milk after the ironman competition to replace depleted sugars.
http://builtwithchocolatemilk.com/
2004-Bon Jovi

Post Reply Post Reply
That is odd that the flow limit isn't limited at all during that mess of events.

It could be false events caused by something else. An event is not flagged unless it happens for 10 seconds or more. The flow rate is our breathing in and breathing out. No breath equals a flat-ish line there. The machine sends out pulses and the "echo" from it determines how wide the airway is (or is not). If the echo is a certain way, then the machine knows it is an obstructive event. If it is another way, it knows it is a central/clear airway event. Basically in a nutshell back of napkin kind of thing. As I understand it, Flow limit is when the flow is choked down and there's a limitation to that flow. Such as a hypopnea or an OA event. If the flow limitation is not there, it could be the machine detected the echo and said "airway is closed" and flagged the event. But the flow rate didn't notice any change. However, that many false events? It could be possible I guess.

Keep in mind, this is how my weird mind understands how all this works. I could be wrong! Just don't ask me to explain how to hold your tongue right or what the heckaroni the minute vent is.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question [Equipment] Apnea index, blood pressure, pulse and SpO2 stier52r043 0 273 02-25-2024, 11:49 AM
Last Post: stier52r043
  [Health] Dizziness and high blood pressure Okbutton 2 566 06-13-2023, 08:58 AM
Last Post: OpalRose
  Impact of blood pressure medication kemeky 16 1,543 01-15-2023, 09:14 AM
Last Post: Lucid
  blood blisters mouth Jenn84 2 1,045 12-21-2022, 04:15 PM
Last Post: Jenn84
  Help, red blood cell count up, no energy, long time CPAP user BBX2125 1 729 09-25-2022, 12:31 PM
Last Post: Brazen
  [Diagnosis] Understanding AHI, blood pressure, pulse, insomnia hollysleep 4 716 07-09-2022, 09:32 PM
Last Post: SevereApnea
  Does this blood O2 indicate apnea? Khoji 3 856 05-06-2022, 10:49 PM
Last Post: DaveL

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.