Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Low Oxygen Levels On VPAP
RE: Low Oxygen Levels On VPAP
(12-24-2018, 10:21 AM)airbusA346 Wrote: I forgot to mention another reason I was put onto the Lumis was to give my body a rest during the night.

Can you develop ?
Post Reply Post Reply
The question is not have you ever been diagnosed but if you have Central/Mixed/Complex Apnea.  Even with these most are diagnosed as Obstructive Apnea.  That is one reason why we like to see charts, and FULL copies of Sleep Studies (because the summaries usually say OA even when a substantial portion of events in a sleep study say otherwise)
Fred
Post Reply Post Reply
Resmed ASV is called Pacewave CS in EU.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-24-2018, 09:25 AM)airbusA346 Wrote:
(12-24-2018, 09:17 AM)Sleeprider Wrote:
(12-24-2018, 08:35 AM)airbusA346 Wrote: The reason I've been put on ST mode is because I don't take enough breaths myself while asleep, which means I retain carbon dioxide.

My back up rate is currently 18.  Back in March 18, when I was switched from APAP to the Lumis it was 15 and since then it has been raised to it's current level (it's been at 18 since the end of June).

If your problem is central apnea (not taking enough breaths), the answer is ASV (adaptive servo ventilation). It resolves both obstructive and central apnea as well as maintains respiratory volume.  The problem with your current therapy is the 16 cm of pressure support completely suppresses your own respiratory drive. The ASV will provide only as much pressure support as you need, only when you need it, and it is smart enough to maintain your respiratory rate and volume.  I just can't emphasize enough how wrong and unatural your therapy is.

I've never been diagnosed with central apnoea, just obstructive.  As far as I understand, my natural respiratory drive decreases too much during sleep.  

I don't think ASV is widely used in the UK... I might be wrong though...

My trust won’t provide an ASV without a special application so I purchased my own ASV second hand from the US I was prescribed an ST machine but it was not comfortable and failed to adequately reduce my Hypopnoea. If you have access to your sleep study’s it might be useful to post here I was diagnosed with obstructive sleep apnoea however in my original overnight study and a subsequent overnight study in the local hospital I had an element of Central Apnoea during REM Sleep.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Aircurve 10 ST-A and Lumis 150 VPAP ST-A just a UK branding difference? SingleH 37 2,106 Yesterday, 07:51 AM
Last Post: SingleH
  Oxygen levels below 90% for 7% of night and below 94% for 34% inspite of Bipap bhavintu79 14 613 03-08-2024, 05:06 AM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  AirMini with Oxygen darral.freund 2 888 02-08-2024, 12:23 PM
Last Post: darral.freund
  ResMed AirSense 11 + ClimateLine 11 Heated Tubing + Oxygen YankeeLaker 2 341 01-22-2024, 08:17 PM
Last Post: YankeeLaker
  Sleep study review / O2 ring - Oxygen Desaturation SingleH 5 503 01-07-2024, 05:18 PM
Last Post: SingleH
  Why would supplemental Oxygen be added to CPAP? kc90 18 1,034 01-02-2024, 11:47 AM
Last Post: robbob2112
  Low O2 Levels During Sleep with Low AHI cmpman1974 60 5,024 01-01-2024, 09:24 PM
Last Post: cmpman1974

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.