Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Low Oxygen Levels On VPAP
RE: Low Oxygen Levels On VPAP
I hope it all works out for you fairly quickly. The ideas above are all things you can consider and discuss for longer-term treatment.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi all,

I confirm that the Lumis 150 ST has iVAPS mode (I've tried it).

Airbus, if you don't suffer from Central nor complex apneas, I would suggest you disable ST mode and only use S mode.

Quick question: what is your backup rate set in the machine? I suspect that it is way too close (or even higher) than your natural respiratory rate, which causes the machines to trigger too many breaths. Because if we really believe the 1% spont trigger, it would mean that without the VPAP, you would not be able to initiate a single breath on your own, which I doubt !

Your backup rate should be 2-4 breath below you natural respiratory rate. I'm personally using ST mode, and I've set my backup rate 5 breath below my natural one. I would propose you to start with backup rate = natural respiratory rate - 4

Thibault
Post Reply Post Reply
Philips Everflo costs ~500 EUR brand new in Germany.

https://www.philips.com.au/healthcare/pr...ncentrator
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-24-2018, 03:41 AM)thibaulthib Wrote: Hi all,

I confirm that the Lumis 150 ST has iVAPS mode (I've tried it).

Airbus, if you don't suffer from Central nor complex apneas, I would suggest you disable ST mode and only use S mode.

Quick question: what is your backup rate set in the machine? I suspect that it is way too close (or even higher) than your natural respiratory rate, which causes the machines to trigger too many breaths. Because if we really believe the 1% spont trigger, it would mean that without the VPAP, you would not be able to initiate a single breath on your own, which I doubt !

Your backup rate should be 2-4 breath below you natural respiratory rate. I'm personally using ST mode, and I've set my backup rate 5 breath below my natural one. I would propose you to start with backup rate = natural respiratory rate - 4

Thibault

The reason I've been put on ST mode is because I don't take enough breaths myself while asleep, which means I retain carbon dioxide.

My back up rate is currently 18.  Back in March 18, when I was switched from APAP to the Lumis it was 15 and since then it has been raised to it's current level (it's been at 18 since the end of June).
Post Reply Post Reply
1) Do you mind sharing:
- your height in cm
- your weight in kg
- the current overnight average tidal volume

We will be able to determine if the backup rate is too high or not.

2) Can you also share with us:
- Which spontaneous trigger mode you are set on: default, high, very high, low, very low?
- Which spontaneous cycle mode you are set on: default, high, very high, low, very low?
- Which rise time: none, 100ms, 200ms, 250ms, 300ms, etc?

Thibault
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-24-2018, 08:58 AM)thibaulthib Wrote: 1) Do you mind sharing:
- your height in cm
- your weight in kg
- the current overnight average tidal volume

We will be able to determine if the backup rate is too high or not.

2) Can you also share with us:
- Which spontaneous trigger mode you are set on: default, high, very high, low, very low?
- Which spontaneous cycle mode you are set on: default, high, very high, low, very low?
- Which rise time: none, 100ms, 200ms, 250ms, 300ms, etc?

Thibault

- Height is 182.88cm
- Weight is 102.5kg
- Median tidal volume for last week was 820mL

- Spontaneous trigger is medium
- Spontaneous cycle mode is medium
- Rise time is 200ms
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-24-2018, 08:35 AM)airbusA346 Wrote: The reason I've been put on ST mode is because I don't take enough breaths myself while asleep, which means I retain carbon dioxide.

My back up rate is currently 18.  Back in March 18, when I was switched from APAP to the Lumis it was 15 and since then it has been raised to it's current level (it's been at 18 since the end of June).

If your problem is central apnea (not taking enough breaths), the answer is ASV (adaptive servo ventilation). It resolves both obstructive and central apnea as well as maintains respiratory volume.  The problem with your current therapy is the 16 cm of pressure support completely suppresses your own respiratory drive. The ASV will provide only as much pressure support as you need, only when you need it, and it is smart enough to maintain your respiratory rate and volume.  I just can't emphasize enough how wrong and unatural your therapy is.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-24-2018, 09:17 AM)Sleeprider Wrote:
(12-24-2018, 08:35 AM)airbusA346 Wrote: The reason I've been put on ST mode is because I don't take enough breaths myself while asleep, which means I retain carbon dioxide.

If your problem is central apnea (not taking enough breaths), the answer is ASV (adaptive servo ventilation). It resolves both obstructive and central apnea as well as maintains respiratory volume.  The problem with your current therapy is the 16 cm of pressure support completely suppresses your own respiratory drive. The ASV will provide only as much pressure support as you need, only when you need it, and it is smart enough to maintain your respiratory rate and volume.  I just can't emphasize enough how wrong and unatural your therapy is.

I've never been diagnosed with central apnoea, just obstructive.  As far as I understand, my natural respiratory drive decreases too much during sleep.  

I don't think ASV is widely used in the UK... I might be wrong though...
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-24-2018, 09:11 AM)airbusA346 Wrote: - Height is 182.88cm
- Weight is 102.5kg
- Median tidal volume for last week was 820mL

- Spontaneous trigger is medium
- Spontaneous cycle mode is medium
- Rise time is 200ms

Thanks!

Resmed titration guide recommends to set Target Va such that Vt is equal to 6ml/kg IBW. You can find this info page 38 for the iVAPS titration protocol. And you may assume that this info is valid for ST titration protocol too.

Link to the titration: https://www.resmed.com/us/dam/documents/...er_eng.pdf

According to your height (183cm), and based on the IBW, you should be targeting a tidal volume of 468ml: https://www.mdcalc.com/endotracheal-tube...calculator

According to me, if you get dizzy/drowsy/light headed, it's because you probably hyperventilate by having BOTH a too high tidal volume and the fact that your machine literally forces you to breath ALL the time.

Another issue I've found out is that, while the VPAP is forcing you to breath, if you are "not in sync", the Lumis will never be able to make you "entirely breath". If you just lower the backup rate to 14, and increase the sensitivity of the spontaneous trigger to very high, you will already see a noticeable difference (positive, of course). A backup rate of 18 with a tidal volume of 800ml is, sportive! lol! 

Let's make you breath on your own a bit, I'm sure you wouldn't mind haha. Let's start to make minor changes which will definitely help you from tonight onwards, without taking ANY risk:
- Set the spontaneous trigger to very high (= making the VPAP very sensitive to detect any inhale attempt)
- Set the backup rate to 14 (= because we set up a spontaneous trigger to very high)
- Set the rise time to 350ms (=because 26/9 with 200ms is just like a massive hit in your face)
- Set your IPAP/EPAP to 25/9

Let us know tomorrow how it goes, I wouldn't be surprised that it improves your condition !

Cheers
Post Reply Post Reply
I forgot to mention another reason I was put onto the Lumis was to give my body a rest during the night.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Sad [Pressure] Using BiPap Resmed Aircurve 10, still exhausted, good O2 Levels LordofKings 14 360 04-02-2024, 11:33 AM
Last Post: LordofKings
  flow limitations acceptable levels yankees123 27 1,871 03-23-2024, 02:41 AM
Last Post: CPAPfriend
  Aircurve 10 ST-A and Lumis 150 VPAP ST-A just a UK branding difference? SingleH 37 2,452 03-18-2024, 07:51 AM
Last Post: SingleH
  Oxygen levels below 90% for 7% of night and below 94% for 34% inspite of Bipap bhavintu79 14 786 03-08-2024, 05:06 AM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  AirMini with Oxygen darral.freund 2 993 02-08-2024, 12:23 PM
Last Post: darral.freund
  ResMed AirSense 11 + ClimateLine 11 Heated Tubing + Oxygen YankeeLaker 2 390 01-22-2024, 08:17 PM
Last Post: YankeeLaker
  Sleep study review / O2 ring - Oxygen Desaturation SingleH 5 584 01-07-2024, 05:18 PM
Last Post: SingleH

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.