Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Low Oxygen Levels on CPAP
Low Oxygen Levels on CPAP
Hi Everyone,

I was recently diagnosed with OSA and have been on my CPAP machine for about two weeks. While there have been some ups and downs in my results, the machine is generally reporting that my AHI is being lowered below 5, which would make me, technically speaking, successfully treated.

The problem is, I am still separately tracking low oxygen levels throughout the night--typically in the mid-80s, but sometimes even in the 70s. Additionally, I still find myself waking up groggy and feeling exhausted, despite sleeping long hours and with an reportedly low AHI. 

I should mention, I am not obese (only a couple of pounds overweight) and not a smoker. 

After a fatigue-related scare behind-the-wheel, I returned to my doctor only to be soundly told off by the nurse for coming back to the office too soon. Right now, I am stuck for answers that will help be get back to functioning normally and safely.

Any ideas what could be causing this? I am happy to provide any details that could be relevant.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Low Oxygen Levels on CPAP
Best way to help you would be if you could download sleepyhead software and post a couple of charts here with daily data. the links for sleepyhead and directions for posting are below. Even though your AHI may be below 5 doesn't mean you can't have O2 drops to events and even flow limitations. Of course it could be caused by other factors also. Is the Doctor you mention your family Doctor or a Sleep Doctor? If he's a sleep Doctor you may want to talk to your family Doctor about being referred to a pulmonologist.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
#Sleepyhead software will report AHI, as well as let is know some respiration statistics like tidal volume, minute vent and breathing rate. We can also look at flow limitation and other suspects in low oxygen saturation. We certainly can help you understand the problem, and possibly mitigate it, however with SpO2 dropping into the 70s it is appropriate for you to advise your doctor of these results. There is a strong probability you will need an alternative to CPAP, and I think your doctor is going to want to evaluate those alternatives in a titration test.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-31-2018, 08:54 PM)idobelieveinfairies Wrote: Hi Everyone,

I was recently diagnosed with OSA and have been on my CPAP machine for about two weeks. While there have been some ups and downs in my results, the machine is generally reporting that my AHI is being lowered below 5, which would make me, technically speaking, successfully treated.

The problem is, I am still separately tracking low oxygen levels throughout the night--typically in the mid-80s, but sometimes even in the 70s. Additionally, I still find myself waking up groggy and feeling exhausted, despite sleeping long hours and with an reportedly low AHI. 

After a fatigue-related scare behind-the-wheel, I returned to my doctor only to be soundly told off by the nurse for coming back to the office too soon. Right now, I am stuck for answers that will help be get back to functioning normally and safely.

Any ideas what could be causing this? I am happy to provide any details that could be relevant.

Quote:[url=http://OSCAR Official Download Page ----> CLICK HERE ./]SleepyHead[/url] software will report AHI, as well as let is know some respiration statistics like tidal volume, minute vent and breathing rate. We can also look at flow limitation and other suspects in low oxygen saturation. We certainly can help you understand the problem, and possibly mitigate it, however with SpO2 dropping into the 70s it is appropriate for you to advise your doctor of these results. There is a strong probability you will need an alternative to CPAP, and I think your doctor is going to want to evaluate those alternatives in a titration test.
I included Sleepriders comment here because it is VERY important.  IMHO you want an Appointment with your doctor TODAY!!!,  take the results of your overnight SpO2 in with you.

Sleepyhead is a tool we use to provide advice with knowledge,  Please download it and post your dailies.  And do include your SpO2 results along with how you feel.

Fred
Post Reply Post Reply
Without your data to go on, I would suspect that if you have a nasal mask air is short circuiting through your mouth.  Or you might have a lot of centrals or you are tucking your chin in while you sleep.
You might have a more complex type of Sleep Apnea requiring a more complex machine, the only wat to know is do what Sleeprider suggests with Sleepyhead.
I am NOT a doctor.  I try to help, but do not take what I say as medical advice.

Every journey, however large or small starts with the first step.

Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Oxygen levels below 90% for 7% of night and below 94% for 34% inspite of Bipap bhavintu79 14 612 03-08-2024, 05:06 AM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  AirMini with Oxygen darral.freund 2 888 02-08-2024, 12:23 PM
Last Post: darral.freund
  ResMed AirSense 11 + ClimateLine 11 Heated Tubing + Oxygen YankeeLaker 2 340 01-22-2024, 08:17 PM
Last Post: YankeeLaker
  Sleep study review / O2 ring - Oxygen Desaturation SingleH 5 502 01-07-2024, 05:18 PM
Last Post: SingleH
  Why would supplemental Oxygen be added to CPAP? kc90 18 1,031 01-02-2024, 11:47 AM
Last Post: robbob2112
  Low O2 Levels During Sleep with Low AHI cmpman1974 60 5,023 01-01-2024, 09:24 PM
Last Post: cmpman1974
  [Treatment] Low AHI but dizziness and fatigue with spikes of low O2 levels John94 8 1,077 01-01-2024, 11:01 AM
Last Post: PamVT41

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.