Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Low Pulse Rate
Low Pulse Rate
I recently added an oximeter to my sleep routine and I'm importing that data into OSCAR successfully.  The good news is that pulseox data is providing reinforcement that I'm getting effective CPAP therapy.  Average SpO2 over 97%, nothing under 92% over the 6 nights I have data.

Of course, the oximeter also reports pulse rate.  Mine is averaging under 38 bpm with a minimum of 30 and this low rate leaves me with some concern.

I do have a history of bradycardia, so resting heart rates in the low to mid 40s are very common.  As a result, I have been declined at the bloodmobile more than once since the FDA implemented a hard minimum of 50, even after having been a long time donor.

Medication is not an issue - while I do take several OTC supplements, my only prescriptions are pravastatin and levothyroxine.

Anyone else seen pulse rates quite so low?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Low Pulse Rate
I have bradycardia as well.   You are not taking any Beta-Blocker? You should inform your PCP and/or Cardiologist (if you have one) of your low pulse reading while asleep.   When mine gets down to the mid 30s, my PCP is on the phone with my Cardiologist.  Have your data ready when speaking with them.  They may ask how many times it dipped and the duration of each low dip.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Not taking any beta blockers.  I would not describe what I am experiencing as a dip - my pulse stays pretty low throughout the night.  95% pulse rate ranges between 43-49%.

Sounds like a call to my cardiologist is in order.
Post Reply Post Reply
Interesting to come across this a few months late.  I have been using a Wellue SleepU for about 6 months.  I have noticed periods of up to 2 hours of HR dipping to 35 and bouncing between 35-60, sometimes including upward HR spikes to the 90s..  I decided it was due to my PVCs causing a skipped beat and lowering the HR.  Two nights ago, I switched to a CheckMe O2 Max.  The first night, I did not realize it would vibrate for a low pulse.  It vibrated continually and I thought I was desaturating.  I figured out the next morning it was a low HR instead.  I have an appointment with a cardiologist next week.  There is a SA node problem that can occur sometimes referred to as tachycardia/bradycardia syndrome.  It can be worsened by PAP therapy, beta blockers, and some other things.  Treatment potentially includes a pacemaker.  If you are experiencing this issue, definitely inform your Dr.  You may want to read up on "sick sinus syndrome" and "tachycardia/bradycardia syndrome".
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm scheduled for a Holter monitor on 8/2. I had some HR drops down in the mid 30's just after removing my CPAP mask in the AM. It buzzed my Wellue O2Ring while in bed and even after getting up to go to the bathroom. Called my PCP that day. I do have bradycardia (usually in the low 50's while resting) and am on a calcium beta blocker (generic Norvasc). Norvasc doesn't commonly caused bradycardia, but can sometimes occur.

Also had an occurrence last night just after falling asleep of what I believe may have been a momentary heart block followed by a short high HR rate shown second graph. The Wellue O2Ring detected no pulse for a very short period and showed a an O2 drop on recovery.

The general consensus I found online is while your sleeping, any HR drops below 40 warrant a call to the doctor

I have a feeling a pacemaker is in the near future.

If you use an O2Ring or similar, it's important to ensure the time is set correctly on a daily basis. My O2Ring has drifted off occasionally and its data would not align correctly when compared to the CPAP data.

This screen grab is the low HR after mask removal

[Image: qnBIaLG.png]

[Image: Jy2uxe4.png]
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Too much STATIC showing in OSCAR Flow Rate PappaJoe 0 73 04-16-2024, 08:23 AM
Last Post: PappaJoe
Question Does abnormal breathing trigger an elevated heart rate? Or vice versa. G. Szabo 14 356 04-15-2024, 07:01 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Pulse oximeter recommendations? p123 17 1,481 04-13-2024, 12:31 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  Please, need help reading the leak rate and LL info chronic 14 337 04-13-2024, 12:00 PM
Last Post: chronic
Question Any thoughts on why my heart rate increases when using CPAP? hejohoo 3 943 04-08-2024, 09:59 AM
Last Post: hejohoo
  Added an O2/Pulse meter to my therapy: Phaleronic 21 665 04-04-2024, 11:21 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  Flow rate kink at end of exhalation ahuman 12 372 03-29-2024, 06:50 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.