Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Low SpO2 Levels when using Bi-Pap Machine
RE: Low SpO2 Levels when using Bi-Pap Machine
(04-14-2016, 11:38 AM)Mosquitobait Wrote: I also think you should get another opinion. My family member doesn't need his bipap at all if he has oxygen fed by canula. Seems to me her overall quality of life is superior with oxygen only.

oxygen desaturation is not the only problem associated with sleep apnea.
Post Reply Post Reply
The lack of O2 desaturation could be because she is being awakened b4 desat can happen due to apneas. This would not be good.....
Post Reply Post Reply
Pulmonary Doctor said to use bi-level 24/19. 5L O2
She had previously been on bi-pap 17/13 3L O2
Sounds like a headache just waiting to happen but we will try tonight.
The sleep study he is basing the new settings on showed that her SpO2 was <88 for 295 out of 324 minutes sleep
Appointment tomorrow to discuss why use a machine that lowers SpO2 level.
Nasal cannula alone shows 100% above 88%
Post Reply Post Reply
I hope all is well. What is the outcome of your doctor visit. Best wishes Sleep-well

Post Reply Post Reply
Actually she had to be admitted to the hospital for another week's stay just after the doctor visit.

I asked him if he "read" the results of the sleep study and of course he said "yes." When I pointed out that her SpO2 were below 88 all but 6 minutes in 8.5 hours then he "READ" the results of the sleep study and said I needed to see the sleep doctor. Could not get an appointment until I was actually admitted to the hospital and my heart doc got him to come and adjust my machine. Right now after several adjustments all seems well.

Will be seeking second opinion from another pulmunologist to see if they think I am being treated properly.
Post Reply Post Reply
It is a shame that we must at time "Push" the doctor. My PCP now seems to have taken the path of asking me what I want then going about his work. He has said that I should keep "Pushing".

I try to be soft spoken and take care with my words. He/They are the doctors and I respect them for their work. I wish they could work with each other better. Information sharing is a problem.

Let us know the outcome of your changes, best wishes.

Post Reply Post Reply
IPAP 24/EPAP 19 doesn't give for much pressure support, so when she uses bi-level with supplemental oxygen she is probably retaining a lot of CO2 which is both messing up gas exchange and probably the culprit of her bad headaches.

As far as I know for COPD you need a longer exhalation time due to air trapping and being unable to expel CO2. Try adjusting her rise time setting to 1 or 2 so it cuts off the inspiration in a timely fashion and also allows a higher peak flow rate.

I would recommend getting her a new sleep doctor, and have her do a bi-level titration in a hospital sleep lab, do a bit of research to find a good doctor and lab. Sounds like her current doc doesn't really care at all.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  flow limitations acceptable levels yankees123 27 1,608 03-23-2024, 02:41 AM
Last Post: CPAPfriend
  Oxygen levels below 90% for 7% of night and below 94% for 34% inspite of Bipap bhavintu79 14 678 03-08-2024, 05:06 AM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  SPO2 still falling with CPAP freedom yayy 12 391 03-07-2024, 10:13 AM
Last Post: freedom yayy
  Help on analysing SpO2 drops a21900 9 828 03-02-2024, 12:33 AM
Last Post: Per Laursen
Question Low AHI for years but tired and low SpO2 spikes down to 85%. Brain MRI abnormal MyronH 4 679 02-25-2024, 11:33 PM
Last Post: TechieHippie
Question [Equipment] Apnea index, blood pressure, pulse and SpO2 stier52r043 0 229 02-25-2024, 11:49 AM
Last Post: stier52r043
  TechieHippie's story: "mild" apnea but clusters of SpO2 drops TechieHippie 17 1,056 02-12-2024, 09:00 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.