Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Low SpO2 but CPAP doesn't react - high altitude
Low SpO2 but CPAP doesn't react - high altitude
Hi all,

I recently relocated from near-sea level to Mexico City, which is at ~7500 ft. Since I arrived, my Wellue Sp02 ring is reporting low oxygen levels with many drops, but my CPAP doesn't seem to register these drops - it maintains low pressure and reports low AHI. Qualitatively, my sleep quality feels much worse.

I've now been here for 12 nights. I'd expect lower sp02 levels while I acclimate, and also lower-quality sleep, but the drops in oxygen that the ring is reporting are concerning.

I'm including here Oscar + Sp02 ring screenshots of a particularly poor night of sleep (2 nights ago), and another of good sleep just before I left sea level. Apologies for using separate screenshots for the Sp02 - for some reason, the Sp02 and pulse data are showing up as compressed in Oscar.

My primary questions:
- Should I be concerned about these Sp02 drops? Or is possible that the ring is misbehaving in the higher altitude?
- Is there a change in CPAP settings that might help it react to those events?

Secondary questions:
- How long might it be until I'm fully acclimated and my Sp02 levels return to my sea level "normal" levels?
- How can I fix the compressed way that my Sp02 and pulse data is showing up in Oscar?

Thanks! As always, very much appreciate this forum for providing support where the healthcare system doesn't.

Cheers

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Low SpO2 but CPAP doesn't react - high altitude
Welcome to the Apnea Board,

As I understand it, CPAP doesn't have a programmed action to act against low SpO2. Regardless, yes you need to have some concern and take action yourself. Get your doctor involved, because the SpO2 drop was below 90% for over 38 minutes 52 seconds, lowest was down to 83%. I think your elevation change had a negative effect.

You could increase pressure, but I'm not sure it helps. An actual ventilator would be quite a bit different. I'm thinking you may be headed to get supplemental oxygen. Ask for a home SpO2 monitor and/or a 6 minute walk test.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-18-2022, 01:39 PM)SarcasticDave94 Wrote:  SpO2 monitor and/or a 6 minute walk test.

AT ALTITUDE!
Post Reply Post Reply
It is common for SpO2 to be reduced at altitude, and both altitude and air quality are issues in DF. If you recently moved here, it may adapt in time and Diamox can significantly help with altitude adjustments including central apnea. I’m on a phone now, but can look closer at this later today. Just be assured this is fairly common with altitude adjustments.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Yes, correct. The tests need to be done at your attitude.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks all. The lower overall oxygen makes sense to me, but the *drops* in oxygen are surprising - especially because the CPAP doesn't seem to be picking them up.
Post Reply Post Reply
My somewhat informed opinion is the CPAP won't respond to this, because that's not the job of PAP. It's job is combat Apnea, which it's doing pretty good.
Post Reply Post Reply
What else could cause drops in oxygen like that besides apnea?
Post Reply Post Reply
In my case it's periodic breathing that is not (usually) pronounced enough to be reported as an apnea. If you zoom in on the flow graph so that it shows just a minute or two, centred on an SpO2 drop, you might get a clue whether you're experience something similar.

BW, DS
Post Reply Post Reply
I use oxygen 24/7. I have a enlarged Artery between my heart and lung, causing lower blood flow.

There are many things that cause lower oxygen. Right now it appears you just have to adapted to the higher altitudes where air is thinner.
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Phillips Dreamstation 2 High Disconnects mrsleepyhead2001 2 126 03-22-2024, 04:20 PM
Last Post: mrsleepyhead2001
  [Pressure] ASV pressure too high. Please Help Mosleepy 27 701 03-21-2024, 10:13 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Oscar Charts: Interrupted sleep with high heart rate xaid 1 106 03-19-2024, 08:15 AM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Recently started CPAP -- very high proportion of Clear Airway Events matt2 0 119 03-17-2024, 02:48 PM
Last Post: matt2
  COSA, hypoxemia, AFIB, high BP, polycythemia, and CBTI? Motorheadrulz 45 4,429 03-16-2024, 11:21 AM
Last Post: Motorheadrulz
  Stumbled into amazing fix for my high ahi Lanners 2 214 03-09-2024, 11:15 AM
Last Post: kkjacks
  SPO2 still falling with CPAP freedom yayy 12 391 03-07-2024, 10:13 AM
Last Post: freedom yayy

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.