Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Low Tidal Volume
Low Tidal Volume
I have been on Cpap going on 2 years and this forum has been a huge help in improving my numbers. I have used at least 10 different masks over the years and have gone from FFM's to pillow masks. I receive my best numbers from my pillows. My most comfortable FFM has been the Airfit and Airtouch F20 with Tidal Volumes around 430. I recently switched over to the P10 and alternate it with the Nuance Pro. My tidal volume is very low using pillows at around 340 to 360. I know they have a lot to do with respiration and possible other respiratory problems, so my question is should I be concerned? My numbers usually fall in at <1.00 and also receive many 0.00's but I am curious if this may be a warning of other problems? I appreciate any comments on this matter.

[attachment=10904][attachment=10905]
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Low Tidal Volume
I am no expert on these issues but to have more data to answer your questions with add Tidal and minute vent and respiration to your charts and zoom in to a 3 minute view so we can see details.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you Bonjour. I have attached the 2 days with about a 3 minute spread as you requested.
[attachment=10910][attachment=10911]
Post Reply Post Reply
Now cut the window to 2 minutes and on the flow rate tighten the scale. I think I'm seeing flow limitation so persistent that there is no baseline to to judge the reduction against.
Post Reply Post Reply
The real question in all of this is, are you adequately ventilated. Tidal volume is one piece of the the three-parts to be considered. A tidal volume of 380 mL is not very impressive for a male, but combined with the over 19 breaths per minute, it results in the minute vent of nearly 8 L/min which is pretty good. I don't see a problem here that we can resolve by looking at Sleepyhead. If your capacity is somehow limited by a pulmonary restriction or other problem, then a simple pulmonary function test (spirometry) to determine FEV1 / FEV2 should be on your request list the next time you have a routine physical exam. Actual oxygenation can easily be quantified using a recording oximeter to measure SpO2 and pulse.

Your charts suggest you have the tidal volume on-call when you need it, but are taking shallow, relatively rapid breaths. That may be your normal, and I don't know how we might change that through the settings of an auto CPAP. It might be possible to encourage greater respiratory volume using a bilevel machine, but not the CPAP. Considering an AHI of zero, unless you have some kind of pulmonary impairment that would be considered medically important by your doctor, I think the best way to look at it, is it's normal for you, and not abnormal at all.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Not sure what "tighten" meant so I hope I did it correctly.
[attachment=10912][attachment=10913]
Post Reply Post Reply
Close enough, it looks better at this scale.

I wouldn't touch anything unless you are having issues. How do you feel?
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks Sleeprider. I will throw this at my sleep doctor and my cardiologist. I doubt my sleep dr will be of much help. Last time I seen him he seemed so impressed with my AHI number he proclaimed me "cured" and told me to make another appointment in one year. I told him if I am "cured" I don't need him anymore.
Post Reply Post Reply
How do I feel? Since I've already had a heart attack, bypass surgery, Hi blood pressure, diabetes, Afib, prostate cancer, arthritis and overweight I would be hard pressed to think OSA is going to be victorious in sending me to the pearly gates. Dielaughing
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-21-2019, 11:09 AM)bonjour Wrote: Close enough, it looks better at this scale.

I wouldn't touch anything unless you are having issues.  How do you feel?

I'm sure you see the same flow limitation I do.  Once again, the wrong machine (Dreamstation), but not medical "necessity" to change it.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Equipment] HELP - BIPAP-ST Restricting Inhalation/Exhalation Air Flow / Tidal Volume PAPPER101 3 107 03-24-2024, 09:29 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  Good AHI but Low Tidal Volume and Minute Ventilation erolalper 1 146 03-15-2024, 07:57 AM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
Question Tidal Volume Acceptable Range trance 12 3,422 03-02-2024, 11:26 AM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
Question Hose volume Willw 4 235 02-26-2024, 04:53 PM
Last Post: Willw
  What is optimal respiration rate, minute vent, tidal volume, etc? ATeam91 4 463 01-23-2024, 04:19 PM
Last Post: ATeam91
  High Tidal Volume Bartman66 4 407 01-16-2024, 07:35 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Tidal Volume ak996 4 440 12-12-2023, 12:07 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.