Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Low pressure
Low pressure
Anyone have any idea if it's possible to lower the machine lower than the minimum factory setting of 4 pressure? Thanks in advance!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Low pressure
(04-04-2015, 09:59 AM)Zzzmeg Wrote: Anyone have any idea if it's possible to lower the machine lower than the minimum factory setting of 4 pressure? Thanks in advance!
NO, but if you put a bacterialfilter at the end of the hose nearest the mask, you get lower pressure to the mask.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-04-2015, 09:59 AM)Zzzmeg Wrote: Anyone have any idea if it's possible to lower the machine lower than the minimum factory setting of 4 pressure? Thanks in advance!

ZZzmeg,
On your other thread, you were giving very good advice on pressure settings, based on the infomation you gave.

CPAP machines cannot go lower than 4, but even on that setting most folk feel as if they are not getting enough air. Almost too hard to breath in or a suffocating feeling.

It would be better if you were using software to monitor your apneas and then determine a pressure setting based on that.
Good luck with your therapy...were here to help.
OpalRose Smile

Thanks for filling out your profile, but now I see you are using nasal pillows. That's good, but especially with nasal pillows, you will have a hard time breathing with a pressure of 4.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-04-2015, 10:21 AM)Lazer1234 Wrote:
NO, but if you put a bacterialfilter at the end of the hose nearest the mask, you get lower pressure to the mask.

I suppose you could also tie a knot in the hose... But I don't think that would be too great of an idea either.

Zzz? You need to focus on:
1.. Do you have apnea?
2.. What pressures are required to abate it.

If the answer to the first question is "No," then you can safely turn off the machine and put it in the closet. Otherwise you need to do whatever is required for you to have a successful outcome using the machine. That means find out what events you are experiencing, and at what pressure they are removed. I don't know what that number will be, but I'm pretty sure it isn't going to be "4."

Post Reply Post Reply
Most people have a hard enough time breathing I 4cm. I can't imagine going any lower than that. When I used the ramp I had it set at 8, and even that wasn't the most comfortable.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-04-2015, 10:21 AM)Lazer1234 Wrote:

Would like to clarify a bit, do not try this.
Post Reply Post Reply
a few other things you need to consider. The machine has to blow a certain amount of air (positive air pressure) to keep the air way open when you are inhaling and exhaling. I believe that the studies have shown that 4 is the minimum that would work to keep the airway open.

A second issue is with co2. I believe that a pressure below 4 does not allow for all of the exhaled co2 to be cleared, so that means you start re-breathing the exhaled air, which messes up the o2 and co2 levels in your body.

If you are having a lot of pressure with exhaling, perhaps you need to talk to your doc about testing out bi-pap instead of straight cpap?
Post Reply Post Reply
FWIW, Devilbiss machines advertise a minimum pressure of 3cm H20.
PRS1 Auto & Dreamstation Auto w/ P10 and straight pressure of 8cm
Post Reply Post Reply
There will be minimum pressure level, you cannot lower that level.
Sleep Disorder Treatment : http://thehealthysleep.in/
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Isn't Resmed's Expiratory Pressure Relief really Inspiratory Pressure Support?? Reznik 122 18,638 12-09-2023, 12:54 PM
Last Post: Kathy14225
  Any downside to using static pressure vs range pressure? hejohoo 6 922 09-08-2023, 11:50 AM
Last Post: Gideon
  [Pressure] Pressure suggestions to reduce ear pressure? rv88 0 646 05-24-2023, 05:43 AM
Last Post: rv88
  FFM HELP: no leaks, no nose bridge pressure and no headgear pressure on back of neck? koy23 6 1,556 01-22-2023, 07:33 PM
Last Post: koy23
  Is expiratory pressure relief similar to BiPAP on lower pressure settings? drmaestro 11 3,349 05-18-2020, 01:35 PM
  [Pressure] Difference between EPAP set pressure and operational pressure brugerard 8 2,350 01-02-2020, 10:03 PM
Last Post: brugerard
Question 90% Pressure meaning & Setting Correct Pressure for Auto-CPAP dk2011 2 3,646 12-28-2018, 05:37 PM

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.