Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Low spO2 levels even with low AHI
RE: Low spO2 levels even with low AHI
This is pretty elementary.  You need a higher minimum pressure to improve oxygenation.  Your machine is setup at the default 4-20 and with the minimum pressure set that low, you are constantly triggering flow limitations and have a remarkably low minute vent.  The tidal volumes are not visible with that pie chart in there.  

Your pressure is swinging up from 4 and averaging 8 and your 95% pressure is 12.  You need to set that minimum pressure to 7 or 8 to get your therapy out of the hole and improve oxygenation.  I have posted it before, but this is an excellent presentation of what can be accomplished with CPAP and Bilevel pressure machines. The part you need to hear is EPAP pressure, or in your case minimum pressure, establishes a patent airway and promotes oxygenation.  Increase the minimum perssure, you'll be amazed.

Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the info.

I switched to the auto titrating CPAP setting to try to get a feel for whether my older prescription (11 in standard CPAP) was still in the ball park. My 90% number has been averaging 11, my 95% was averaging 12-12.5

So is it usually preferable to run it in the auto titrating CPAP setting, but with higher starting pressure you mention, or go back to the fixed pressure?
Post Reply Post Reply
If you are accustomed to higher pressure, my recommendation would actually be a minimum pressure of about 9.5 on auto mode. You are able to get good treatment with lower pressures, so there really is not need to use fixed pressures. The machine is clearly responding to your needs by raising pressures. By being within 2 cm of your therapy pressure, you should get the best of both worlds. Even for titration purposes, a higher starting pressure would have been in order. My suggestion for 7 to 8 would have been a good auto-titration starting point, but you can get good therapy with auto mode as long as it starts in the right range.

Finally, your machine must be in auto mode to record flow limitation, and this is something we want to evaluate for your SpO2 concerns. Go to a higher minimum pressure in auto mode, and you may never need to be in fixed CPAP mode. The machine pressure will follow sleep stages, body position and your changing needs to provide effective treatment.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Tigerman67,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Better luck to you this time around with your CPAP therapy, hang in there for more responses to your post.
You have come to the right place for guidance.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  flow limitations acceptable levels yankees123 27 1,601 03-23-2024, 02:41 AM
Last Post: CPAPfriend
  Oxygen levels below 90% for 7% of night and below 94% for 34% inspite of Bipap bhavintu79 14 674 03-08-2024, 05:06 AM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  SPO2 still falling with CPAP freedom yayy 12 388 03-07-2024, 10:13 AM
Last Post: freedom yayy
  Help on analysing SpO2 drops a21900 9 826 03-02-2024, 12:33 AM
Last Post: Per Laursen
Question Low AHI for years but tired and low SpO2 spikes down to 85%. Brain MRI abnormal MyronH 4 677 02-25-2024, 11:33 PM
Last Post: TechieHippie
Question [Equipment] Apnea index, blood pressure, pulse and SpO2 stier52r043 0 229 02-25-2024, 11:49 AM
Last Post: stier52r043
  TechieHippie's story: "mild" apnea but clusters of SpO2 drops TechieHippie 17 1,052 02-12-2024, 09:00 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.