Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Lower AHI and pressures with nasal pillows
Lower AHI and pressures with nasal pillows
I have seen this reported by several members who switched from FFM to nasal pillows and it made me wonder why this would happen. I have come up with a theory and I hope that I am not just repeating something that has come up before. I looked and did not find anything. Tell me what you think.

With a full face mask, especially at higher pressures, one needs to tighten the bottom straps fairly aggressively. This has an additional effect of tending to pull the chin closer to the chest which tends to make the airway somewhat narrower. The narrowing of the airway would make it necessary for more pressure to achieve the same result and possibly higher AHI.

The nasal pillows, having no lower strap fitting on the neck (I think) does not create this effect and hence requires less pressure and possibly reduces AHI.

It's a theory anyway.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Lower AHI and pressures with nasal pillows
Sounds like one of the reasons.

Also, i seem to get better results with a SMALL pillow and one theory is the reduced air hole.
Sweet Dreams,

HerbM
Sleep study AHI: 49 RDI: 60 -- APAP 10-11 w/AHI: 1.5 avg for 7-days (up due likely to hip replacement recovery)

"We can all breathe together or we will all suffocate alone."
Post Reply Post Reply
Possible...
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-23-2014, 02:24 PM)PaytonA Wrote: I have seen this reported by several members who switched from FFM to nasal pillows and it made me wonder why this would happen. I have come up with a theory and I hope that I am not just repeating something that has come up before. I looked and did not find anything. Tell me what you think.

With a full face mask, especially at higher pressures, one needs to tighten the bottom straps fairly aggressively. This has an additional effect of tending to pull the chin closer to the chest which tends to make the airway somewhat narrower. The narrowing of the airway would make it necessary for more pressure to achieve the same result and possibly higher AHI.

The nasal pillows, having no lower strap fitting on the neck (I think) does not create this effect and hence requires less pressure and possibly reduces AHI.

It's a theory anyway.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

That is my theory too. My therapy is completely different with nasal pillows. Last night my ahi was 1.7!
I can also sleep on my back now, no backpack. Amazing. Also, the numbness in my hands has gone away. Was caused by the way my neck was resting on the pillow with the ffm. The ffm and me were not a good match. Glad everone doesn't have these problems with a ffm.
2010 sleep study 63 AHI
Post Reply Post Reply
Makes sense to me. Maybe the pillows are pulling up on your face causing you to stretch out? (kidding) Love pillows, between sleeping on my side and pillows my AHI has been .3 and lower for a long time. I'm so glad they work because I did not like the FFM, maybe I just didn't try the right one or use it correctly.
Good Luck!

Doc J (despite my nickname I am not a doctor)

Remember to donate to the board if you can, it has helped a lot of people including myself.
Post Reply Post Reply
Its as good an explanation as any. Same thing happens with me when I go from Fitlife to a pro life lite nasal. But Ive never noticed the Fitlife puttng but a tiny pressure on my chin as it rests mostly against the boney parts of my cheek with any amount of pressure and forehead.

I also notice I get 0 gas with the Fitlife vs I do have some with the nasal. Not enough to bother me but noticeable. Go figure
Post Reply Post Reply
I think there is some merit to it, but how much of an impact would be a big debate. As we all know, everyone is different. In my case, I get better treatment (lower AHI, less leaks and better rest) with the bigger masks (ffm or my Fitlife), but I get more freedom of positions with a nasal mask or pillows.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question Difficulty Exhaling with Nasal Pillows? chill 24 11,064 04-08-2024, 03:00 PM
Last Post: cant exhale
  Feel worse on lower EPR even though AHI seems the same? LarkinM 10 391 03-14-2024, 10:53 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  High Pressures - Inflammation of the CV system? MrIvanDrago 5 348 03-05-2024, 07:14 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Nasal pillows vs. cradle GOIRISH65 8 480 03-04-2024, 07:44 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Flow Limitations Full Face Mask vs Pillows wickedsleepy 4 441 02-23-2024, 10:44 AM
Last Post: wickedsleepy
  Central apnea and high pressures? esaulcatnas 20 1,816 02-16-2024, 12:22 AM
Last Post: esaulcatnas
Question Snoring worse with FFM vs pillows PaulaO2 12 968 01-28-2024, 12:25 PM
Last Post: PaulaO2

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.