Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Lower The AHI
Lower The AHI
Hi guys:

Kind of a newbie to CPAP. Last August I was referred to a sleep doctor and I was given a take home sleep study. I was told I had a severe case of sleep apnea with events ranging from 40-60 per hour. I was given an AirSense 10 AutoSet and given a prescription of 8-15. Using the MyAir app, I was used to average events ranging from 10-20, but I'm on a mission to lower that now. I definitely sleep better now that I'm using a CPAP machine, but I do think I could sleep better. I've adjusted my minimum and maximum to 15-20 and I'm ranging from an average of 4-10 events per hour. I know 20 is the sky for this machine, but I'm hoping there are some other tweaks someone can suggest to improve my AHI.

Using OSCAR, I've taken a screenshot of my most recent results from last night. I hope I have it formatted correctly.

I'd appreciate any and all the help I can get!

Thank you!

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Lower The AHI
Welcome to the forum. First of all, increasing EPR from  2 to 3 should reduce your flow limitations, RERA, and hypopnea. What jumps out at me most is the clustering of events which is probably resulting from tucking your chin to your chest which restricts the airway. We see this frequently and it is a problem that the forum helped me eliminate. The best fix is to wear a soft cervical collar. You can learn more about them and see hoe effective they are by going to this link:  
http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...cal_Collar
You may also need an increased minimum pressure but I would wait to see results following an increase in EPR and use of the collar. The collar may reduce your pressure needs.

Your clear airway events are probably treatment emergent and will decrease as you adapt to the machine.
Download OSCAR

Organize Charts
Attaching Charts

Mask Primer
Soft Cervical Collar

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Feel worse on lower EPR even though AHI seems the same? LarkinM 10 403 03-14-2024, 10:53 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  How can I lower my AHI? jstro84 26 2,569 01-13-2024, 12:13 PM
Last Post: jstro84
  Advise requested: Should I LOWER my pressure? Aknakon 21 1,169 12-22-2023, 08:25 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Can I lower the pressure? GaspForAir 11 964 12-11-2023, 08:31 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
Idea [CPAP] Lower AHI on firmer mattresses? Jeads95 9 663 10-26-2023, 01:58 AM
Last Post: ivorpetkov
  [Treatment] AHI lower than ever, still struggling in my late 20s davigalindo 31 2,564 10-18-2023, 10:25 AM
Last Post: davigalindo
  Raise Lower pressure setting crmarks4 10 960 10-09-2023, 09:45 PM
Last Post: staceyburke

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.