Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Lowering AHI - Analyzing OSCAR Data
Lowering AHI - Analyzing OSCAR Data

Hi! I've been using my Airsense 11 for a week now and was hoping to get some assistance lowering my AHI. I started first with the P10 and it made it feel like I was punched in the nose with a constant headache, although I was getting a low AHI. I switched to the N30 this week which is much more comfortable for me, but my AHI numbers aren't where I would like. I would me much appreciative of some assistance. Thank you!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Lowering AHI - Analyzing OSCAR Data
Hi getzall,
Did you have a sleep study done? Looking to see if your study showed Central Sleep Apnea?

Sometimes, folk will experience clear airway events after starting Cpap therapy, which usually lessen after time. But the charts you show have quite a few CA's.

If you have a copy of your study, post it here so we can take a look.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

I did indeed. The central apnea index was 8.7 times per hour.
Post Reply Post Reply
your last two posted charts seem to show pressure micro-adjustments due to flow limitations. some EPR generally helps that, and it can bring on more CAs.

I would do this if it were my machine.
Make sure I got an EPAP value of about 7.8 (close to the median EPAP value).
I would make sure I had some EPR to help fight the flow limitations. I would select EPR full time at 1.
I would limit the machine from going to the higher pressures (above 10).
The starting pressure I would make sure was at least 8.8 cmh2o min to ensure EPAP stays above the 7.8 value.
I would Ramp pressure just a bit below 8.8 cm to allow start at a lower pressure. I would pick 7.0.

settings 8.8 min 10.0 max, EPR=1 Ramp pressure 7.0

I don't expect that all the CAs would go away, or even reduce by half. But, who knows. It might.

QAL
Dedicated to QALity sleep.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks getzall for posting your sleep study.  

I would go ahead and follow QAL's advice.  

Here's what you need to know... your current machine cannot treat central sleep apnea.
Only a ASV can treat CSA.  

Using EPR usually aggravates and causes more clear airway events, but some EPR is needed to tame Flow limitation and Hypopneas.   So this may be a balancing act.

Keeping the EPAP high enough will keep the airway open and hopefully take care of Obstructives.

So yes, QAL's settings recommendation is sound.  

The only thing I don't like is Ramp.  Use it for now, but eventually try to wean off using it.

Post another chart after a day or two.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks, guys. I appreciate it and will do.
Post Reply Post Reply

Hey guys, I attached two pictures. The first is the last day keeping the settings the same and then the second is my first night following the settings you both recommended.
Post Reply Post Reply
As predicted the use of EPR did increase the occurrence of central apnea, and surprisingly also made flow limits worse. Since you're working with QAL and Rose, I'm going to drop a link to the Resmed Clinical Titration Protocol so you can do some research on how ASV (adaptive servo ventilation) works. Starting on page 28. Something tells me you're gong to need this. https://document.resmed.com/en-us/docume...er_eng.pdf
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks, Sleeprider. I will take a look!
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  oscar data sleeper2460 0 54 Yesterday, 09:13 AM
Last Post: sleeper2460
  Help Lowering a Varying AHI for a Newbie rtkierke 16 390 03-27-2024, 05:41 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  New user OSCAR data after one week Everlong 2 108 03-26-2024, 09:04 AM
Last Post: Everlong
  Current OSCAR Data Tylermdugan 0 69 03-26-2024, 07:06 AM
Last Post: Tylermdugan
  Need help with OSCAR data Abhi 5 406 03-26-2024, 05:31 AM
Last Post: BigWing
  First night done, now what? (OSCAR data attached) Stephaniea0213 5 148 03-20-2024, 02:35 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  New to CPAP Titration Study and OSCAR Data Help Needed slowmoto 2 149 03-20-2024, 01:24 PM
Last Post: slowmoto

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.