Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Lowering AHI on DreamStation
RE: Lowering AHI on DreamStation
Yes I agree and appreciate the good advice.
I will keep this setting for a while and see how this works out in long run.
QAL, yes no snoring. I was surprised too how that happened.
I am a fit guy (muscular six packs) 6'.4" who goes to gym 5-6 days a week since I can remember. Not sure how I landed in Apnea zone.
Anyways great advice coming from great friends here. I will keep you folks posted.

Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-08-2017, 09:05 AM)sleepknight Wrote: I am a fit guy (muscular six packs) 6'.4" who goes to gym 5-6 days a week since I can remember. . .

Show Off!   Big Grin

Seriously, I don't know if the P-R machines have a ramp feature on the Flex mode to adjust how fast the pressure returns when starting an inhale but I've found, on my Resmed, that it is the difference between a "natural" feeling and an instantaneous blast of pressure.  This alone can disturb your sleep.  Hopefully, a P-R user will be able to answer this more definitively.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-08-2017, 09:23 AM)Crimson Nape Wrote: Seriously, I don't know if the P-R machines have a ramp feature on the Flex mode to adjust how fast the pressure returns when starting an inhale but I've found, on my Resmed, that it is the difference between a "natural" feeling and an instantaneous blast of pressure.  This alone can disturb your sleep.  Hopefully, a P-R user will be able to answer this more definitively.
Flex settings of 1, 2, and 3 control how fast the pressure returns to full therapeutic pressure on a PR machine.

There's a big difference between the way EPR on a Resmed feels and how Flex on a PR machine feels.  Flex reduces the pressure at the beginning of the exhalation by a variable amount. Regardless of the Flex setting, the pressure reduction will typically be somewhere between 1 and 2cm of pressure based on the forcefulness of the exhalation: The stronger the exhalation, the more likely the pressure will be reduce by 2 full cm. The speed at which the pressure is dropped is controlled by the Flex setting.

In C-Flex+ and A-Flex, the pressure is increased partway back to the therapeutic setting during the second half of the exhalation.  And the pressure is increased the rest of the way at the beginning of the inhalation.  The speed at which the pressure increased is controlled by the flex setting.

With both C-Flex+ or A-Flex the higher the setting, the faster the machine will be in dropping the pressure at the beginning of the exhalation and it will be slower it will be increasing the pressure back up to the full pressure setting.  A-Flex = 3 would be the closest to the Resmed's "medium inhale" setting. But even so, the Flex feels different than EPR with inhale set to "medium" instead of "fast."  

The PR web pages used to have some quality information about how Flex works, complete with good diagrams illustrating the changes in the 3 Flex settings. But they've either removed that info from their web pages or buried it so deep that they might as well have removed it.  Hence I can't find a good figure that illustrates it except on links to PR machines on Supplier #1's website, and  my understanding is that I can't make a direct link to an image on Supplier #1's website here.
Questions about SleepyHead?  
See my Guide to SleepyHead
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Help Lowering a Varying AHI for a Newbie rtkierke 16 376 Yesterday, 05:41 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  Need help lowering my AHI DigitalMan43 19 1,294 03-02-2024, 03:03 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Looking for help with lowering my AHI JackNY07 19 1,856 12-14-2023, 10:24 PM
Last Post: paulag1955
  [Treatment] Help with lowering AHI, better sleep michael3 2 423 12-01-2023, 10:35 AM
Last Post: michael3
  [Pressure] Air curve 10 lowering pressure to sleep first test Emtvalenti 0 379 05-19-2023, 05:13 PM
Last Post: Emtvalenti
  Sudden RLS upon lowering EPR A KLERK 0 426 05-09-2023, 02:12 PM
Last Post: A KLERK
  Lowering AHI - Analyzing OSCAR Data getzall 8 796 02-28-2023, 05:07 PM
Last Post: getzall

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.