Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Lungs taken a beating
Lungs taken a beating
I am going on about 40 days on bipap and some days it feels like my lungs are sore. Does it get better?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Lungs taken a beating
I think it does get better. You are on ASV so there is quite a bit of pressure in the machine induced breaths. Have you experimented with reducing PSmax by small increments, to see where the threshold is that will cause a breath, but not perhaps exceed the requirement?
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks I will try that, I think its at 17 now. Would it hurt to back it off 2 or should I just do 1? Thanks Michael
Post Reply Post Reply
Michael, as long as the max PS is sufficient to make you take a breath when you don't spontaneously breath, it is enough. Many use PS of 15, and some get away with less. Change it to 15. You will know very quickly if it's working. The nature of these adjustments is that you back off until you go too far, then you correct back. So reducing pressure by 2 is just fine. If it's too much then go back to 16. If it's great you can try 14, etc.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Typically you change settings one step at a time and check the results.
If apneas don't pop up then you can try another step.
There are also exercises that you can do for you lungs
Post Reply Post Reply
From the way they fill, it seems like they are getting a pretty good workout already!
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Lactic acidosis in the lungs justdano 5 359 01-13-2024, 11:00 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Good nightly AHI, but lungs feel a bit taxed and still a little tired 8TheGreat 2 664 06-06-2022, 10:27 PM
Last Post: RainbowFish
  pressure and lungs pains Gorge 5 819 05-10-2022, 01:20 PM
Last Post: Gideon
  pain in my lungs koy23 4 1,175 01-02-2022, 05:06 PM
Last Post: Geer1
  Irritated lungs/chest/throat Davidacarrick 5 1,064 07-31-2020, 05:45 AM
Last Post: ardenum
  Lungs Too Full vailgal 11 2,975 08-07-2017, 06:30 AM
Last Post: OpalRose
  Does long term humidifier use affect lungs? Russatrice 11 3,489 12-06-2016, 06:27 PM
Last Post: eseedhouse

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.