Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

MD300W11 pulse-oximeter
Question 
MD300W11 pulse-oximeter
I'm looking at adding a recording pulse-oximeter to my equipment, and I'm looking at the ChoiceMed MD300W11. I have done searches on the forum and turned up very little. I would be interested in anyone's experience with this device. I will also be looking at means to get it's data into Sleepyhead, if such is possible - any comments there will also be of great interest.

Aside from the device itself, does anyone know if a prescription is required for these devices? I notice it is also marketed for use by Athletes - would a prescription be required for that application?

Thanks,
A.Becker

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: MD300W11 pulse-oximeter
Hi, becker44a,

You do not need a prescription to purchase a recording pulse oximeter.

I use a CMS50D+ by Contec. It isn't a wrist model, just a clip-on unit that I lightly tape to the side of my finger (to keep it in place) while I'm sleeping. I think the wrist monitor might be easier to wear - especially during sports. My CMS50D will record about three nights worth of sleep (about 24 hours) with two AAA batteries.

I haven't imported oximeter data to SleepyHead, yet, but I know you can. I just don't know how! Maybe someone else will come along and give you the thread where that process is discussed. I'll look and see if I can find it before I … go to sleep!

Here's a link that tells which pulse oximeters are compatible with SleeyHead:
http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...d-oximeter

Hope someone comes along and tells you if the MD300W11 is compatible with SleepyHead. If they don't, maybe re-post your question as: Is MD300W11 compatible with SleepyHead.

Good luck and a pat on the back for taking charge of you health in such a positive way!
Post Reply Post Reply
No, it is not. SleepyHead primarily is compatible with only the Contec CMS50X models.
http://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawiki/sl...ion#Contec

However, it isn't difficult to "eyeball" the two graphs for comparison.

Supplier #19 in our Supplier's list (link at top of every page) carries the CMS oximeters.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
(05-11-2014, 11:37 PM)MAPnea Wrote: You do not need a prescription to purchase a recording pulse oximeter.

(05-11-2014, 11:51 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote: No, it is not. SleepyHead primarily is compatible with only the Contec CMS50X models.

Thanks to both of you for your replies. I am interested in this unit for several reasons. I like that it uses standard, replaceable batteries. It can use normal NiMH rechargeables if one so chose. This seems better to me than the hardwired internal battery, which needs to be recharged in the device itself. It seems to me that a wrist unit w/ separate sensor would be more comfortable and less likely to be pulled off at night than one where the entire unit is clamped to your finger. I also like that it has an internal clock that is claimed to remain set over multiple sessions, and keep its setting thru a battery change.

I'm not overly worried about the Sleepyhead issue - if I go down this road, I may pull the Sleepyhead source code, and see what size job it might be to implement an importer or some such thing. It seems a shame that the selection of compatible PO2 devices is so limited.

Thanks again.
A.Becker
Post Reply Post Reply
If I ever need to check my blood O2 on a regular basis, I would definitely get the wrist version.

I went to Supplier 19 and saw the model you are talking about. Sounds interesting. Especially that 10 users can record data before it needs to be downloaded. Which basically means 10 sessions. Have you poked around on line to see if you can get the manual now?
PaulaO

Post Reply Post Reply
(05-13-2014, 02:32 AM)PaulaO2 Wrote: Have you poked around on line to see if you can get the manual now?

I did indeed, and I have downloaded both the manual and the supplement for this model. I also found a post from about a year ago where SaviAtHome mentioned having someone do some SleepyHead patches to support an earlier version of this device. I've emailed thru the forum to see if those patches are still available, for whatever value they might have.

Thanks again,
A.Becker
Post Reply Post Reply
Good! That helps. One thing I found "funny" about the CMS 50D Plus was the instruction sheet. The translation errors were interesting. Basically it said to hang yourself by the lanyard.
PaulaO

Post Reply Post Reply
Oh, PaulaO2, I laughed myself silly reading that instruction sheet. "Hang myself" by the lanyard. Indeed.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-13-2014, 06:27 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote: Good! That helps. One thing I found "funny" about the CMS 50D Plus was the instruction sheet. The translation errors were interesting. Basically it said to hang yourself by the lanyard.

Hi Paula,
That's a funny one . . . Over the years we've seen lots of documentation of that nature for various computer-related products. We refer to that dialect as "chinglish".

A.Becker
Post Reply Post Reply
I would not buy it because it needs a new battery every 12 hours. USB rechargeable is the only way to go as far as I am concerned.

Don in Austin
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Pulse oximeter recommendations? p123 15 1,218 03-26-2024, 04:57 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  [Equipment] ResMed AirSense 11 compatible pulse oximeters timtaller 63 25,776 03-16-2024, 11:27 AM
Last Post: e727147
  Looking for wrist oximeter to check O2 storywizard 0 89 03-13-2024, 05:29 PM
Last Post: storywizard
Question Oximeter Sensitivity mhjunk525 1 151 03-02-2024, 11:39 AM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  are there pulse oximeter synced CPAP/Bipap/sleep study devices? bhavintu79 1 202 03-02-2024, 04:53 AM
Last Post: Gep232
  [Health] Pulse oximeter readings while asleep and awake - what do these readings mean? SleepyButHopeful 11 672 02-26-2024, 03:17 AM
Last Post: srlevine1
Question [Equipment] Apnea index, blood pressure, pulse and SpO2 stier52r043 0 229 02-25-2024, 11:49 AM
Last Post: stier52r043

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.