Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

MYAIR: PENALIZED FOR PEEING, SLEEPING LATE, OR FILLING THE WATER CHAMBER
MYAIR: PENALIZED FOR PEEING, SLEEPING LATE, OR FILLING THE WATER CHAMBER
Even though it appears that the main purpose of RedMed's MyAir online application is to motivate your xPAP usage (especially for compliance with the insurance policies that pay for machines and supplies), it does not really provide that much help.

First, not all of the data from the machine is transmitted to ResMed.

Second, other than compliance, there is no indication that the data is actually being analyzed in such a manner as to provide feedback to the patient or the physician.

But, what really ticks me off is that you are penalized for peeing, re-filling your water chamber, or sleeping late.

That is, you lose points for a mask on/off event if you need to use the bathroom, need to fill your undersized (on the AirSense 10) water chamber because your throat is dry, or simply sleep beyond 12:00 p.m. If you sleep late, your score for the data is grossly understated until the next day when the total usage is calculated and scored.

It's a minor matter, but it bugs me.
"The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." -- Marcus Aurelius
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: MYAIR: PENALIZED FOR PEEING, SLEEPING LATE, OR FILLING THE WATER CHAMBER
I agree, why penalize for mask off events. But it does give someone who doesn't want to get as involved as we do here. Now I have to break that habit of thinking that removing the mask midway through the night is bad.
CPAP is a journey like “The Wizard of Oz”. It’s a long slow journey. You will face many problems and pick up many friends along the way. Just because you reach the poppies, it doesn’t mean you are in Kansas. 
Post Reply Post Reply
The solution is to not use MyAir and ignore the bogus scores. I found it irritating if I started the machine and had to immediately get up for whatever reason (chase raccoons off the deck, check a locked door, etc). Pretty worthless information anyway.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I learned to ignore MyAir right at the start. I just look at the machine for a quick rundown on how I did last night and use Sleepyhead for everything else.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-20-2016, 05:12 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: The solution is to not use MyAir and ignore the bogus scores. I found it irritating if I started the machine and had to immediately get up for whatever reason (chase raccoons off the deck, check a locked door, etc). Pretty worthless information anyway.

I also noticed that, but in the realm of life, it doesn't weigh on my mind. I suppose the data may be looked at occasionally by MD/ insurance for compliance issues??
Although I have no problem using mine, cuz I feel like fecal matter if I DON'T use mine.
I enjoy being with a group who like to share their "Hosehead" experiences, to remind me I am not alone.
Post Reply Post Reply
Well, you can just pass the mask over to the wife and have her wear it while you answer the call of nature. If wife is sleeping just shove it on her face.

Note: I accept no responsibility if you actually try this. Helpful hint: run power to the dog house while it is still light out.
Using FlashAir W-03 SD card in machine. You can download your data through wifi with FlashPAP or Sleep Master utilities.

I wanted to learn Binary so I enrolled in Binary 101. I seemed to have missed the first four courses. Big Grinnie

Stick it to the man, Download OSCAR and take back control of your data!

Thanks Ian. Like I didn't have enough Honey-Do projects to tackle. Mornincoffee
Post Reply Post Reply
The mask on/off only counts for 5% of the score, so I think that particular criticism is out of proportion. Even of you get a 0 on that you can still hit 95%. and even if your other factors bring the score down further they still tell you what a great job you are doing.

I usually score full marks on everything except the mask on/offs although occasionally I've had high leaks that sent my score down to 85%.

Since waking up to pee is my main obstacle to treatment I tend to focus on the on/offs and I'd love to see a 100% score just once I tend to overemphasize it myself so I suppose I can sympathize with your viewpoint but really let's not blow it up all out of proportion.

My main complaint with MyAir is that they are too soft on the scores and tell you you are doing fantastically pretty well no matter how bad the score is. But I still usually check it one a day well after I've already checked my results in SleepyHead.
Ed Seedhouse
VA7SDH

Part cow since February 2018.

Trust your mind less and your brain more.

Post Reply Post Reply
My med supplier told me that this data is used by Medicare and insurance co.'s to be sure you're in compliance. The 4 hr nightly minimum is the important factor to get coverage.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-23-2016, 12:31 AM)OldCoot Wrote: My med supplier told me that this data is used by Medicare and insurance co.'s to be sure you're in compliance. The 4 hr nightly minimum is the important factor to get coverage.

This is true, but most people can satisfy the compliance requirement withing 3 to 6 months of starting CPAP. Once it is paid off, no one looks anymore.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-23-2016, 09:17 AM)Sleeprider Wrote: This is true, but most people can satisfy the compliance requirement withing 3 to 6 months of starting CPAP. Once it is paid off, no one looks anymore.

Apparently my name has been changed to "nobody" without my knowledge.
Ed Seedhouse
VA7SDH

Part cow since February 2018.

Trust your mind less and your brain more.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Side sleeping and shoulder pain SCgargoyle 8 889 11 hours ago
Last Post: stevew168
Video [Equipment] Resmed AS10 Water Chamber Noise SOLUTION fixed it 0 34 Yesterday, 12:36 PM
Last Post: fixed it
  Horrible chemically burned bacon smell in nose after water reservoir runs dey icashootnstar 13 1,737 Yesterday, 09:39 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  CPAP toppled over/water issue Visitor 7 7,318 03-17-2024, 10:39 PM
Last Post: Willow85
  Fixed Sleeping Position the entire night? Unkikonki 7 155 03-15-2024, 07:57 AM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Still Only Sleeping 4-5 Hours Most Nights AustinSV 5 209 03-12-2024, 08:49 PM
Last Post: Plmnb
  Frustrated as unable to get AHI's less than 5 and have difficulty sleeping. . rltarbu 18 657 03-06-2024, 02:02 PM
Last Post: rltarbu

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.