Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Mac Sonoma 14.2.1
RE: Mac Sonoma 14.2.1
I’m running Sonoma 14.2.1 on a ten year old iMac and it’s been running fine to date, though I’d only added OSCAR and for the first time after the machine was upgraded to Sonoma.  Others here seem to be running OSCAR on Sonoma too, which might suggest that there is possibly some file corruption somewhere on your system (macOS or OSCAR). 

Upgrading to Sonoma has not been a very smooth transition for a lot of mac users and a lot of issues still seem to persist - we’re all waiting for it to get a bit less buggy - maybe round it’s 14.3.x incarnation.

I more just muddle through when confronted by macOS issues. But some basic Apple / macOS housekeeping things you could try - 

1. Possibly work with a fresh download of the OSCAR dmg file from Apnea Board - it might have become corrupt along the way?

2. Check to make sure your Apple user account has rights to administer the computer (System Settings > Users & Groups > User Name > Allow this user to administer this computer = ON) . That might help to establish if it’s a simple ‘user rights’ issue. Reboot if changed, then retry OSCAR.
  1. Reboot your mac in Apple’s ‘Safe Mode’.  This loads a paired-down version of your macOS, so login items, system extensions, third-party fonts, etc., are not loaded; system caches are cleared and checks are run on your startup disk.

To initiate Safe Mode - start or restart your Mac while holding down the Shift key.  Release the Shift key when you see the login screen, (you should see ‘Safe Boot’ indicated in the screen’ top-right corner).  Login and try loading OSCAR.  If OSCAR then runs, it suggests there is something cached or running in the background that’s stopping OSCAR loading properly.  If it doesn’t load, then try the next step (following a reboot of your machine to get back to normal mode).

2. There might be that some stubs or orphans have been left behind from the previous macOS / OSCAR combination you were running - macOS leaves redundant stuff lying around everywhere following upgrades or removals.  So thoroughly removing OSCAR, then rebooting your machine and reinstalling OSCAR might fix your problem.

To thoroughly find and remove applications and their stubs/orphans etc, I usually use a small app called AppDelete (v.4.3.3) written by the late Reggie Ashworth (online search will find it). Warning! AppDelete is brutally effective!  So usual caveats here - backup your system and data before attempting this and copy all your existing OSCAR data and structure to an external device …twice! - it’s not data you can recreate!

3. I would then revisit the links supplied by Red, in case I’d missed some of the minutia.

4. If it turns out that it’s a ‘file rights’ issue, then that will need to be resolved at Unix level through something like macOS Terminal app.  This step is a bit above my pay grade these days …and I could do without the revisit to earlier career traumas!
Given OSCAR seems to be running under Sonoma elsewhere, it’s seems more likely to be a corruption issue somewhere and might be fixed by a really clean install.

Of the above, steps 2 and 3 are easy to do and with little effort, pain or input. So I’d try these first.  Then consider step 1 …just on the odd chance!  Then take a deep breath and look at doing step 3  (in realty it’s not that daunting, just that bit closer to the nuts and bolts than users normally venture).

Beyond this, options seem to be.  Rollback to previous version of macOS (quite difficult from Sonoma); reinstall Sonoma over the current version; (doable and without having to reinstalling apps); wiping hard disk and reinstalling macOS and apps (extreeeme!);  Waiting to see if Sonoma sorts itself out and gets more stable on the next release.
Post Reply Post Reply
WisNaeMe  -  Great information!  I'll be referring back to it in the future.  I would like to add to step #1.  The OSCAR download page provides the checksums for OSCAR on each platform type.  A checksum verification is recommended.  I have a very reliable internet connection, and still experienced a corrupt download before.  Since this seems to be such a rare occurrence these days, it is often overlooked.

- Red
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-20-2024, 10:40 PM)Crimson Nape Wrote: Check the these 2 links about added security,
https://developer.apple.com/documentatio...ease-notes
https://appleinsider.com/inside/macos-ve...os-ventura

I know you said you tried the steps in a previous post, but did you copy your SD card to a directory in your home folder?

- Red

I didn't try that as of yet. I'll give it a shot this weekend, plus the steps in the newest post. Thanks.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Won't load profile - Sonoma 14.4.4 MacBook Pro breathingwell 2 105 04-22-2024, 02:30 PM
Last Post: kderevan
  Cannot run Oscar on Mac Studio w/Sonoma 14.4 Morseman 4 234 03-27-2024, 03:29 PM
Last Post: Morseman
  Oscar 1.5.1 crashes - M1 Mac Sonoma 14.3.1 unadvisedfun 6 464 02-21-2024, 06:21 AM
Last Post: LoudSnorer
  Buidling OSCAR on macOS Sonoma (14.2.1) hisaotsu 2 547 01-08-2024, 11:33 AM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  OSCAR Problems on Mac Sonoma 14.0 kenhh 6 1,134 11-05-2023, 01:40 AM
Last Post: WW4B

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.