Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Machine Fault. - found and fixed
Machine Fault. - found and fixed
By way of general information to perhaps help some one down the track.

I thought I would post my recent experience with diagnosing and fixing my CPAP machine.

The fault was random machine re-boots with flashing Humidifier Icon.
It was also clear that the humidifier was not using much water.

The machine has been used for 900 nights and is out of warranty.

I found that the Power Brick was not producing stable voltage causing the reboots when there was any minor fluctuation in mains power. I replaced the power brick which solved the rebooting problem but the humidifier Icon was still flashing.

I measured the resistance of the heater element in the Humidifier and found that it was open circuit. I was able to get a new replacement System One humidifier which fixed the problem. For future reference the cold resistance of the heater element is 11.4 Ohms.

It is concceivable - but able to be proved - that the power brick caused the failure of the heater.

Total cost AU$300 and no nights with out the machine.

To send the unit to Respironics would have cost at least the same and taken at least 2 weeks turnaround.
Disclaimer: The 'Advisory Member' title is a Forum thing that I cannot change. I am not a doctor and my comments are purely my opinion or quote my personal experience. Regardless of my experience other readers mileage may vary.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Machine Fault. - found and fixed
Greetings Moriarty,

Thanks for the info! You never know when this will be needed by someone else.

(Is your "board name" in any way connected with Sherlock Holmes?? Just curious as I love to read the stories.)
Evpraxia in the Pacific Northwest USA
Diagnosed: 44 AHI when supine, O2 down to 82%
Treated since 20 Sept 2014:: 0.7 AHI, Settings 7-15, EPR on Full Time at Level 3
Better living through CPAP/APAP machines!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Machine Fault. - found and fixed
(01-24-2015, 02:04 PM)Evpraxia Wrote: Greetings Moriarty,
(Is your "board name" in any way connected with Sherlock Holmes?? Just curious as I love to read the stories.)

Yes and no... I am a fan of the Goons. A BBC radio show from the 1950 that got airplay in Australia. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Count_Jim_Moriarty

I also enjoy the Sherlock Holmes stories - both the originals and the modern screen incarnations and variations.
Disclaimer: The 'Advisory Member' title is a Forum thing that I cannot change. I am not a doctor and my comments are purely my opinion or quote my personal experience. Regardless of my experience other readers mileage may vary.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Exclaimation CPAP Machine Choices - read this before you accept a new machine SuperSleeper 291 264,532 04-15-2024, 05:00 PM
Last Post: Poolboy
  Fixed mask leak, but flow limit seems to be increasing AHI emile.leplattenier 3 212 03-19-2024, 11:00 AM
Last Post: staceyburke
  Fixed Sleeping Position the entire night? Unkikonki 7 291 03-15-2024, 07:57 AM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Auto BiPAP fixed PS vs Auto PS - pros and cons? Stubert 5 636 01-09-2024, 02:29 AM
Last Post: Stubert
  Finally found through DISE why cpap/bipap/ASV was never going to work for me. logart89 9 1,434 08-01-2023, 09:36 AM
Last Post: logart89
Question New home sleep study device found - Contec RS10, has anybody tested it??? djrem3000 0 814 05-23-2023, 10:28 AM
Last Post: djrem3000
  [Equipment] ResMed AirSense 10 Heating System Fault JonathanLennox 6 12,902 04-29-2023, 03:08 PM
Last Post: 17WRX

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.