Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Machine Rental?
Machine Rental?
I haven't had my Titration test yet.. that will be tomorrow night.  But, trying to get at least some ducks in order.  There is a lot of good information online which has been greatly helpful.  

That said, I don't know what the Sleep Doc will write me up for.. She said I had sever apnea when I was sleeping.  (I didn't think I slept at all during the split night)

There are NO DreamMachines at the local DME and I've called at least one other place I saw here on the board.  It looks like I will be getting a ResMed.    Sooo

My question is... Does it make any sense to rent a machine assuming I can find the proper ResMed?  Seems there are three and the AS10 and AS11 are recommended.

I'm also guessing that masks are either good or not so good.  I have a beard and I think the Dr was suggesting a Nasal Mask.. not the pillow type.. It's a Wisp that simply covers the nose.  I know these are not rentable.. but, how does one try other variations w/o spending a fortune?

So many questions

Bill
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Machine Rental?
There are some cpap mask sellers that offer an exchange or trial period, somebody that knows there name will probably chime in soon.

I’m on mask #5 so Im not the one that can advise on saving money.

But , I also have a beard and the best mask for me now is a nasal mask. I started with a full face.
Post Reply Post Reply
Request the Resmed Airsense 10 or 11 Autoset. It is the best auto COAP available and better than the Dreamstation because it has much faster response and a very effective exhale pressure relief (EPR). If you can use a minimal nasal pillows mask like the Airfit P-10 it will be much better to start with that. If you later find nasal therapy does not suit you a change can be made. Start small and light, and only get bigger heavier masks if needed.

Avoid rental if possible. It is more expensive and you are not going to find anything better than the Resmed Autoset. Do not accept a Resmed CPAP which does not provide data or automatic pressure adjustments.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
The mask also depends if your are a mouth breather. Sometimes you can train yourself not to breathe through your mouth of which I have not been able to do. I tried a nasal mask but because of the many leaks it  screws up the therapy. I had to switch to a full face mask.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks... fortunately, I'm not a mouth breather.. I may get a little lip flutter when exhaling.. but, I won't know if that continues  when I get my CPAP.
The Dr thought a nose mask would be best for me.. turns out it's the same as my wife uses.  Not a nose pillow?... but is triangular and covers just the nose.
We shall have more info on Friday morning after I finish my Titration night
Post Reply Post Reply
As you said NO Phillips Dreamstations are available, the Wisp mask is a Phillips product. If you're going to get Resmed, then the N20 mask is the equivalent to the Wisp, but the Resmed has better cushion size choices.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks Rich... That was the mask and tube they gave me for a trial fit on my first night at the sleep clinic.. I'm guessing it was to be used with a Philips machine.  However, I've not found any suppliers that have DM's now.. I'm guessing all their production is going to fulfill the recalls??
Post Reply Post Reply
>>>If you're going to get Resmed, then the N20 mask is the equivalent to the Wisp, but the Resmed has better cushion size choices.

They look alike, but they are not equivalent! I've tried the ResMed N20 and settled on the Wisp for a better fit to my face.

BTW, the hose connectors on all masks are interchangeable - no need to use a ResMed Mask with a ResMed machine. Find the one that works for you.
Apnea Board Monitors are members who help oversee the smooth functioning of the Board. They are also members of the Advisory Committee which helps shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
Gee, I'm sorry. I considered them equivalent since they're both nose cushion masks.! But you're right -- The Wisp offers Large cushion or Small/Medium Cushions. The Resmed offers Large, medium, or Small. Maybe I shouldn't have thrown all those Wisps in the garbage that I did a couple of days ago. But I found the N20 works better for me.
Post Reply Post Reply
Conversely, I threw out my N20 mask some years ago... Big Grin

You have to go with what works for you!
Apnea Board Monitors are members who help oversee the smooth functioning of the Board. They are also members of the Advisory Committee which helps shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Exclaimation CPAP Machine Choices - read this before you accept a new machine SuperSleeper 283 262,189 11-10-2023, 10:24 AM
Last Post: robbob2112
  [split] Has Anyone Used Carecentrix? Airsense 11 Rental $1585 Richard32 7 1,007 01-17-2023, 03:56 PM
Last Post: Richard32
  machine died! Now new doctor and new machine Bjazzman 17 6,794 09-05-2022, 09:07 PM
Last Post: NValtman11
  cpap machine rental ajwees41 2 788 07-14-2022, 04:33 PM
Last Post: ajwees41
  Advice on buying rental CPAPS online fincy 2 703 06-21-2022, 04:46 PM
Last Post: SleepinAZ
  [CPAP] Using SoClean Machine with CPAP Machine ronald1810 4 1,320 06-01-2022, 10:18 PM
Last Post: Sleepster
  [Equipment] O2 Concentrator: Purity of output airstream? Rental? Refurbishment? Ozone? joeb 16 1,740 01-07-2022, 06:12 AM
Last Post: Ratchick

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.