Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Machine Smells Like Burning Plastic
RE: Machine Smells Like Burning Plastic
Recently 2 new users had the same issue, which was (apparently) resolved by placing the power brick on the floor rather than on the table next to the machine.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have a Resmed AirSense 10. A couple weeks ago I started getting a burnt, bitter smell that won't go away. I have traced the lingering odor to the silicone seal inside the water container, as well as inside the machine. If I take out the humidifier chamber and look inside there are two silicone pieces. One that creates the seal between the machine and the water chamber and one that creates the seal between the water chamber and the hose connection.

Now I am wondering if the silicon simply "soaked" up an odor that is being expelled by the machine (i.e., a part inside the motor is failing). If I use the seal from my spare water chamber (which smells fine), by the next morning that seal smells bitter. On the other side of that, the one I took out was washed thoroughly and left sitting on the counter for a week. I checked it every day and the smell did not go away until after about a week. Now there is no odor to it. I will switch them back again tonight and see what I get.
Post Reply Post Reply
Put the brick on the floor. It has to be at a different level than the CPAP. Per Resmed.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-06-2017, 08:23 AM)kiwii Wrote: Recently 2 new users had the same issue, which was (apparently) resolved by placing the power brick on the floor rather than on the table next to the machine.

(11-17-2017, 08:42 AM)HalfAsleep Wrote: Put the brick on the floor. It has to be at a different level than the CPAP. Per Resmed.

Yeah, this really is a thing.  The brick can get hot, and while it's still absolutely fine, you'll smell it if your intake picks it up.  In fact, anything with a scent near your machine will smell pretty intense when it's condensed into your airflow - I left a paper towel with a tiny dab of lemon scented dish soap near mine one night and thought I'd fallen asleep in a lemon orchard.
Post Reply Post Reply
Well, to be honest, that is another mistake I have made!  I have it on the same table as the machine.
I should know better.

If an Electrolytic capacitor is going faulty inside the chopper power supply it may take ages to finally fail, even after it fails the power supply might still work for a long time, just not supply so smooth a power to the machine or maybe the right voltage.
The Electrolytic capacitor releases a chemical that is used to store electric between paper that is wrapper up very tightly.
This can leak and can produce a small like burning and if it is in contact with the rectifier diodes that turn the AC power into a rough DC power the machine runs on, it will produce a horrible smell.  Now, the power supply is in an almost sealed plastic box, but it is not gas tight and if some of this gas finds its way into the air intake it will smell up everything it touches.
Now I have a problem, how do you test it, you can't really as it will have put the smell into the machine!
I am NOT saying this IS the problem, but it is a strong possibility.
If it is I would NOT breath this electrolyte, it would not be very good for you.
Diodes can also overheat and smell a bit and as they are inside a plastic box there is very little cooling as you can tell by how hot the power supply get to touch.  It should only get warm and not hot.

You could try cleaning everything and putting the power supply on the ground.
There are also these capacitors inside the machine as well, so it might be one of those, though they are smaller and under less stress, but that is not to say they will not go faulty.  Get the machine and power supply checked out, if it is the power supply checked.  If it is the power supply, you should be ably to smell it, turn it on and after a twenty minutes it will start to smell.  If it is inside the machine, it could take a long time or be immediate.
Best to take the machine to be checked over, as it is under warranty, do not even look at it, take everything to the supplier.

Be safe, if this happens to you, take the complete machine to the supplier to get it checked over.
If you get a burning smell, it is safer not to use it.

Come to think of it, my spare machine has a slight hint of a burning smell, I think I will open it up at the weekend to have a look inside as everything is on the same box with it.
I am NOT a doctor.  I try to help, but do not take what I say as medical advice.

Every journey, however large or small starts with the first step.

Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
Just got a ResMed Autosense 10 this afternoon. Immediate headache. The machine seemed to be outgassing. It could not have been my mask or tube because I was using an old one. I'm trying to let it run without breathing to clear the smell. I have chemical sensitivities and was surprised that the air smelled like outgassing. http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-outgassi...youknowout
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-22-2017, 04:26 PM)drowl Wrote: Just got a ResMed Autosense 10 this afternoon. Immediate headache. The machine seemed to be outgassing. It could not have been my mask or tube because I was using an old one. I'm trying to let it run without breathing to clear the smell. I have chemical sensitivities and was surprised that the air smelled like outgassing. http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-outgassi...youknowout

Put the power brick on the floor......Put the power brick on the floor.......Put the power brick o the floor......

Per Resmed.

This is a common problem.
Post Reply Post Reply
The plastic bags that a new machine and the other parts it uses comes in can have a burnt smell.
But this should go in no time, however, it does transfer some smell to the machine if you are unlucky enough to get one of these bags.
I am NOT a doctor.  I try to help, but do not take what I say as medical advice.

Every journey, however large or small starts with the first step.

Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
Brick was on the floor. My wife has the identical machine and has had for six weeks. I tried it and got a terrific headache in less than two minutes. I should have tried it first. 12-15% of the US population have a problem with various chemical sensitivities.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Exclaimation CPAP Machine Choices - read this before you accept a new machine SuperSleeper 291 264,403 04-15-2024, 05:00 PM
Last Post: Poolboy
  [Equipment] water chamber strong plastic odor twdc33 2 384 01-24-2024, 10:19 AM
Last Post: twdc33
  Burning Smell? BC3B 33 19,629 10-25-2023, 08:55 AM
Last Post: Teddyg
  QAL finally got an AirSense 10, completely new but smells like bubblegum. quiescence at last 0 454 04-23-2023, 06:42 PM
Last Post: quiescence at last
  Burning irritation from head gear Xltrod 0 469 10-13-2022, 06:39 AM
Last Post: Xltrod
  machine died! Now new doctor and new machine Bjazzman 17 6,869 09-05-2022, 09:07 PM
Last Post: NValtman11
  Resmed Airsense 11 very warm to touch with burning smell Sweet72947 0 1,512 08-21-2022, 11:42 PM
Last Post: Sweet72947

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.