Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Machine Smells Like Burning Plastic
Machine Smells Like Burning Plastic
I have a ResMed S9. The last few weeks it's been smelling like burning plastic. I unhooked the hose and the smell is coming out of the machine. I don't use the humidifier, so it's the machine... It's less than a year old. Any idea of what might be going on?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Machine Smells Like Burning Plastic
Is that the same smell when the humidifier ran of water?
In any case, machines comes with two years warranty and as you're still in the warranty period, your DME may replace the machine
I would be inclined to clean everything thoroughly and change the filter too
Post Reply Post Reply
Yeah, it's the same smell. Will it hurt me to use it until it can be replaced? The smell is bad... but I don't wanna wake up feeling half dead if I don't use it.
Post Reply Post Reply
Your DME should give you a loaner until your machine can be repaired or replaced. Each year your DME should do a check and clean on your machine, which sounds like its about time for yours. General rules for DME's 0-2 years replace, 2-4 repair if possible, 5 year new machine under insurance co-pay.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-30-2014, 05:57 PM)Nirvana Wrote: I have a ResMed S9. The last few weeks it's been smelling like burning plastic. I unhooked the hose and the smell is coming out of the machine. I don't use the humidifier, so it's the machine... It's less than a year old. Any idea of what might be going on?

Perhaps you accidentally turned on the humidifier?

Check to make sure the humidifier is turned off, or put some water in the humidifier tank, or remove the humidifier from the machine.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I would send it for warranty and discontinue using it ASAP. The chemical products generated from burning/heated off-gassing plastics are extremely toxic to humans.
Post Reply Post Reply
+1 Paralel.

If it smells bad it probably is bad, and you don't want that toxic malodorous stuff in your body.
Failure is NOT an option.
Post Reply Post Reply
Agree with the above comments: DEFINITELY do not use it if it smells like burning plastic.

I doubt it is providing the correct pressure since something is not right with the APAP.
Evpraxia in the Pacific Northwest USA
Diagnosed: 44 AHI when supine, O2 down to 82%
Treated since 20 Sept 2014:: 0.7 AHI, Settings 7-15, EPR on Full Time at Level 3
Better living through CPAP/APAP machines!
Post Reply Post Reply
Be sure it's not simply something near the air inlet of the machine.

If you don't use the humidifier, remove it as a test. It detaches from the blower unit.

Take out the filters from the back of the blower unit (temporarily) hook the hose up to the blower unit. Take the whole setup to another room.

Turn the machine on for 10 or 15 seconds and let air blow to let it air out while not wearing the mask. Then see if you smell the smell in the mask.

As for being toxic, it can be, but we're way too panicky about such smells. If it's just a smell, the machine can't be producing that much of the chemicals involved because the chemicals have to some out of the machine and it has to be evaporating something to produce the smell.

The really toxic stuff is usually colorless, odorless, and tasteless, so if you don't see, smell, or taste anything, it's probably toxic. Rolleyes
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
Same issue. Not a constant smell, just episodic. Finally it did it twice tonight and so I took my System One completely apart, including the fan. Inside the fan housing it appears the fan itself was making contact with the housing (plastic on plastic). I cleaned the housing and the black stuff that came off Ian the source of my noxious burning plastic smell. Will get it replaced in the morning.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Exclaimation CPAP Machine Choices - read this before you accept a new machine SuperSleeper 291 264,054 Yesterday, 05:00 PM
Last Post: Poolboy
  [Equipment] water chamber strong plastic odor twdc33 2 378 01-24-2024, 10:19 AM
Last Post: twdc33
  Burning Smell? BC3B 33 19,598 10-25-2023, 08:55 AM
Last Post: Teddyg
  QAL finally got an AirSense 10, completely new but smells like bubblegum. quiescence at last 0 450 04-23-2023, 06:42 PM
Last Post: quiescence at last
  Burning irritation from head gear Xltrod 0 463 10-13-2022, 06:39 AM
Last Post: Xltrod
  machine died! Now new doctor and new machine Bjazzman 17 6,850 09-05-2022, 09:07 PM
Last Post: NValtman11
  Resmed Airsense 11 very warm to touch with burning smell Sweet72947 0 1,503 08-21-2022, 11:42 PM
Last Post: Sweet72947

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.