Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Advice please! (Newbie)
RE: Advice please! (Newbie)
I'm still adjusting to sleeping with the mask to be honest - some nights are better than others - I suffer from insomnia anyway but found that wearing ear plugs helped with that massively. Are my results showing an indication of UARS as suggested by the sleep doctor? I have the machine on a one month rental - I guess during this month I need to decide which type of machine I need or whether I even need a machine at all. It's a difficult one as I don't seem to have a major, obvious issues on OSCAR or my sleep study - the main thing that worried me from the sleep study was the oxygen desaturation levels dropping through the night coupled with not feeling very refreshed in the morning. I'll keep trying and start making a diary with how I feel the next day.
Post Reply Post Reply
Attached screenshots from last night - it felt like a pretty good night. 

Lots of queries - hope you don't mind: 

1) My CA's are usually preceded by a larger breath and a minor leak - do you think these are real centrals or false? 
2) I take an antihistamine (promethazine - 25-50mg) and 0.95mg (qtr of 3.75 tablet) of zopiclone before going to sleep - can this increase CA events?
3) Should I be concerned about this level of CA events? My situation doesn't feel extreme enough to warrant investment in an ASV but perhaps you'll advise otherwise of I continue showing this level of CA events. 
4) Am I showing any indication of UARS as sleep dr previously suggested?
5) Would a ''normal'' sleeper have an AHI of close to 0.00?

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
(03-10-2021, 05:42 AM)valtos123 Wrote: Attached screenshots from last night - it felt like a pretty good night. 

Lots of queries - hope you don't mind: 

1) My CA's are usually preceded by a larger breath and a minor leak - do you think these are real centrals or false? 
2) I take an antihistamine (promethazine - 25-50mg) and 0.95mg (qtr of 3.75 tablet) of zopiclone before going to sleep - can this increase CA events?
3) Should I be concerned about this level of CA events? My situation doesn't feel extreme enough to warrant investment in an ASV but perhaps you'll advise otherwise of I continue showing this level of CA events. 
4) Am I showing any indication of UARS as sleep dr previously suggested?
5) Would a ''normal'' sleeper have an AHI of close to 0.00?

1. A typical CA by an individual with true central apnea, is usually a gradual diminished respiratory flow to an apnea followed by a gradual increase in flow. A strong inhale or sigh ahead of an open airway event is usually an arousal or movement. Your breathing does pause for at least 10 seconds however, I would suggest that probably happens even more often when you're awake during the day.
  2. I'm not aware of that antihistamine causing CA. If it increases arousals or restlessness, that could be a factor.
  3. No, I agree ASV is unneeded.
  4. Your flow limitation is near zero and while there is occasional increased airway resistance, it is well treated if present at all
  5. No, your AHI is typical. Many here routinely get less than 2.0 AHI, but everyone is considered treated at these levels.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks so much. 

I guess this all depends on my own feeling over time but based on the sleep study and my Oscar results, do you think I even need a CPAP?
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-24-2021, 12:18 PM)valtos123 Wrote: Hi there, 

I recently had a Sleep Study done by a private respiratory doctor here in the UK. The main symptoms I was experiencing were waking up frequently throughout the night, bursts of shallow dream-like sleeping only and next day fatigue. I do not snore and sleep on my side. 

The doctor gave me a Home Study kit and I had a pretty awful night sleep-wise - I wasn't actually sure if I slept! However, the study showed sleep disordered breathing and, alarmingly, that my oxygen levels were consistently dropping into the 80's and causing me to wake up. 

In the Doctors opinion I have a case of UARS and he gave me a Resmed Autoset Spirit II and I have been trialling it for a few weeks. Although I have got used to wearing the mask and believe I have increased mild benefits, I am still suffering from the same symptoms (frequent arousals, no deep sleep, next day fatigue) I was suffering from prior to using machine. I recently tried wearing a soft collar and I really believe this has helped more. 

To cut a long story short, I haven't been overwhelmed with the service I have received from the doctor and feel I have been charged a rather extortionate amount for the Study and APAP trial. Therefore, I am reluctant to hand over any more money and am very close to ordering a AirCurve 10 Bilevel vauto and seeking the very helpful advice of those on this forum to better evaluate my sleep. 

It may be worth mentioning that I have recently had an MRI scan that indicates a hyper-mobility syndrome such as Ehlers Danlos. 

Would anyone recommend against me going ahead with ordering an AirCurve 10 Bilevel vAuto to see if I experience an improvement? Is there anything else I should try in the meantime?

Thank you!!!!!

ps - I am a 30 year old male with a slim physique - I am unable to upload my sleep study results as the dr is yet to provide them despite the study being some time ago

So after 7 pages here we are at "do I even need CPAP"?   It seems you are no worse off, and possibly better.  Ever considered checking SpO2 with an oximeter?  Any expectation that CPAP or VPAP would treat your shallow sleep, and restlessness is based on the assumption those problems are related to the sleep disordered breathing.  I would suggest it is your restless sleep that actually interferes with getting near-zero AHI and that it is likely your oxygen and breathing are much better with your current therapy, at least it isn't evident in your Oscar data.  What do you think?
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New to CPAP, looking for guidance and advice iamJB 16 291 2 hours ago
Last Post: Expat31
  Help Lowering a Varying AHI for a Newbie rtkierke 16 382 Yesterday, 05:41 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  New- CA CA-Tired help with settings advice jenjabba 8 169 Yesterday, 01:03 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  New Here, Been using OSCAR, Need Advice Regarding Adjustments FrankReality 26 861 03-26-2024, 01:49 PM
Last Post: FrankReality
  [Pressure] Advice on pressure adjustments akarifur 43 1,796 03-25-2024, 08:58 PM
Last Post: Uzupan
  newbie looking to get machine dialed in Jpm6179 3 130 03-25-2024, 07:42 AM
Last Post: Jpm6179
  CPAP newbie / OSCAR / study feedback Brad124 4 190 03-23-2024, 08:02 AM
Last Post: Brad124

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.