Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Machine choice for Auto-bilevel?
Machine choice for Auto-bilevel?
Was just changed to an Auto-bipap, and was given the choice of machine.  My sleep doc is pretty good, he loves when folks get into the data, and prefers I pick what is most comfortable for me.  Anyways, I'm trying to decide between the Dreamstation Auto-bipap and the resmed Aircurve 10 vAuto.  I know there are a number of threads pertaining to these two machines, just curious if you had to choose from the two, what would you choose and why?   

I had this same issue with my APAP and settled on the A10 Autoset because I found EPR much more comfortable than the PR flex.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Machine choice for Auto-bilevel?
I agree you made the right choice for your auto CPAP. I have both a PRS1 Bipap Auto 760, and Aircurve 10 vauto. Both machines allow you to specify a minimum EPAP and maximum IPAP. Philips allows a range of pressure support, while Resmed uses fixed pressure support.

With the Philips, I set a range of 2-6 for pressure support, and it varied through the night. It was very comfortable although the machine sometimes did not sync perfectly, and would cut off inspiration or begin to increase pressure during exhale. I ended up increasing the setting for TiMin and that solved the issue. PS can be set to 0.5 cm increments.

With the Resmed I started with a PS of 4, and found i had some centrals. Cut that to 3 and it works much better. Settings can be refined by 0.2 cm increments, so you can set it as close as needed. If running on 12 volt power, or you will use a battery with any frequency, get the Philips. The Resmed always follows my breathing, so there is never a feeling it is encouraging me to inhale or cutting off a breath. It displays the pressure curve on the screen so you can see the real-time pressure output. Like other Resmed units, this requires a proprietary 24 volt power supply.

Which one is best? I have gotten excellent results, generally less than 1 AHI from both. Resmed does not report RERA or flow limitation in the Aircurve. If this data is important, or you think variable pressure support might be useful, get the Philips. I give the edge to Resmed for screen information and layout, and for following breathing. In other words, there is no clear winner in my opinion.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-25-2017, 03:25 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: I agree you made the right choice for your auto CPAP.  I have both a PRS1 Bipap Auto 760, and Aircurve 10 vauto.  Both machines allow you to specify a minimum EPAP and maximum IPAP.  Philips allows a range of pressure support, while Resmed uses fixed pressure support.  

With the Philips, I set a range of 2-6 for pressure support, and it varied through the night.  It was very comfortable although the machine sometimes did not sync perfectly, and would cut off inspiration  or begin to increase pressure during exhale.   I ended up increasing the setting for TiMin and that solved the issue. 

Thanks for the response Sleeprider.  I'm not sure if I know what TiMin is.  Is it the min time for inspiration breath?  

I must say, having you inspiration breath cut off does not sound very appealing.
Post Reply Post Reply
C0mbe,
This is a passing thought.  If you already have supplies for your current A10, then you have a running start in the Resmed's direction. That's just the tightwad in me.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-25-2017, 05:11 PM)Crimson Nape Wrote: C0mbe,
This is a passing thought.  If you already have supplies for your current A10, then you have a running start in the Resmed's direction. That's just the tightwad in me.

Quite a few actually!  I hadn't considered that, but it's a great thought.  It never crossed my mind they were all interchangeable but of course they are, it's the same family of device. 

Thanks!
Post Reply Post Reply
Mostly masks, filters, hoses and humidifier chambers, and the most expensive items, any electrical adapter supplies. It's a good consideration, and they are all interchangeable.

What is the reason you are being prescribed bilevel?
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply
Good point Crimson Nape, well done.

Sleep-well

Post Reply Post Reply
(01-25-2017, 07:04 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: Mostly masks, filters, hoses and humidifier chambers, and the most expensive items, any electrical adapter supplies.  It's a good consideration, and they are all interchangeable.

Good question.  I had thought I was adjusting ok to APAP, but one complication is I travel constantly between sea level, 6300 ft (home) and 10,000 ft. I was seeing AHI at sea level of 0-2, at 6300 it was more like 3-6, and at 10,000  >6 and occasional nights of 13+ with pretty high pressures and no substantial leaks.  I was waking up a lot during the night at 10,000 ft, and struggling with epap, and centrals at high pressures.     

If I was to stay at 6300 or below, he would have stuck with the APAP, but he said apnea had a tendency to become complex at higher altitudes and he found it to be more comfortable for patients and see better compliance and results with an Auto BiPap.  After that explanation he gave me the option to switch.  So here i am.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-25-2017, 08:36 PM)C0mbe Wrote:
(01-25-2017, 07:04 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: Mostly masks, filters, hoses and humidifier chambers, and the most expensive items, any electrical adapter supplies.  It's a good consideration, and they are all interchangeable.

Good question.  I had thought I was adjusting ok to APAP, but one complication is I travel constantly between sea level, 6300 ft (home) and 10,000 ft. I was seeing AHI at sea level of 0-2, at 6300 it was more like 3-6, and at 10,000  >6 and occasional nights of 13+ with pretty high pressures and no substantial leaks.  I was waking up a lot during the night at 10,000 ft, and struggling with epap, and centrals at high pressures.     

If I was to stay at 6300 or below, he would have stuck with the APAP, but he said apnea had a tendency to become complex at higher altitudes and he found it to be more comfortable for patients and see better compliance and results with an Auto BiPap.  After that explanation he gave me the option to switch.  So here i am.

Great to hear the back-story.  Did insurance buy off on this?  My story is similar.  I got good treatment on auto CPAP in the 2-3 range, but a fair amount of RERA.  With bilevel that goes away, and AHI is less than 1.  Insurance paid last time based on doctor's prescription and recommendations, but the DME was surprised they did without a sleep study.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply
(01-26-2017, 10:39 AM)Sleeprider Wrote:
(01-25-2017, 08:36 PM)C0mbe Wrote:

Great to hear the back-story.  Did insurance buy off on this?  My story is similar.  I got good treatment on auto CPAP in the 2-3 range, but a fair amount of RERA.  With bilevel that goes away, and AHI is less than 1.  Insurance paid last time based on doctor's prescription and recommendations, but the DME was surprised they did without a sleep study.

Insurance hasn't signed off on it yet - but I expect they will...  I have pretty good work insurance and they don't tend to give me much in the way of hassles.  I should probably review my policy so I know what I can and can't get away with.   Either way I need to be back in to review the auto-bipap performance in 60 days and go from there.  Doc suggested a min epap of 5, with max ipap of 20, ps of 4 as a starting place (seems a little wide), with what I took to be carte blanche to tweak and dial it in.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question I'm back, tired, and hopeless. But is Bilevel the answer ?? weuw 83 4,958 03-23-2024, 08:16 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Catathrenia +/- UARS: Bilevel or ASV or other? empiricismandstatistics 0 78 03-21-2024, 04:37 AM
Last Post: empiricismandstatistics
  UARS diagnosis? No improvements on CPAP. What Bilevel machine to get and where? empiricismandstatistics 8 198 03-21-2024, 04:29 AM
Last Post: empiricismandstatistics
  Sucking in on bilevel ahuman 9 174 03-19-2024, 09:00 AM
Last Post: ahuman
  Bilevel ASV - Resuming After Septoplaasty Dread 130 8,126 03-13-2024, 12:39 AM
Last Post: stevew168
  [Treatment] CPAP to Bilevel advice kkjacks 21 786 03-12-2024, 01:33 PM
Last Post: kkjacks
  r4robin - Therapy Thread (Help with BiLevel settings-post #5) r4robin 42 1,818 03-11-2024, 01:26 PM
Last Post: bertchintus

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.