Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Machine hours
Machine hours
I have been using a REMstar Auto machine (560P) for about 30 days.
I now have some doubt that the machine delivered to me was new as had been represented.
I have seen references in some other posts to the number of hours CPAP machines have been in use. Is there any way I can find out from the machine itself (perhaps via the set up process) the total hours my machine has been used since its manufacture?

BillMar
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Machine hours
Good question! My first thought would be to contact the OEM (manufacturer) and ask them. They would be miffed if they lost out on a new machine sale for a used one.
Post Reply Post Reply
Yeah - that should be fairly straightforward.

Turn the control knob to the SETUP screen - push and hold the control knob and the ramp knob for 5-10 seconds until it beeps. That should take you into the clinician menu. Then crank the knob until you get to the INFO screen - select that and scroll down to machine hours.

That should tie to your use history for the period in SleepyHead or PR Encore software.

OMM
Post Reply Post Reply
It's listed in my useful links.

PRS1 - "Machine Hours" can't be reset. "Therapy" and "Blower" hours can be reset. Go into provider menu, select "info."
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-12-2015, 09:24 PM)BillMar Wrote: I have been using a REMstar Auto machine (560P) for about 30 days.
I now have some doubt that the machine delivered to me was new as had been represented.
I have seen references in some other posts to the number of hours CPAP machines have been in use. Is there any way I can find out from the machine itself (perhaps via the set up process) the total hours my machine has been used since its manufacture?

BillMar

BillMar,
The same thing happened to me. By looking at the clinical menu, you can see the machine blower hours. This can never be erased. On my machine it was three times the hours that I had used. My DME even had the nerve to charge me an upcharge because they said it was an auto machine.
I had only had it a few weeks so I called my DME and complained, and threatened to notify my insurance. They agreed to order a brand new machine and they even
reimbursed the upcharge.
They will take advantage of you if you let them!
Annoyed-and-disappointed
OpalRose
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Everyone,

Thanks for input on my question. I have successfully gone into the clinicians menu following the instructions and am a little less suspicious, but still wonder what has gone on with the machine. It had a very tiny dent on the screen when the tech brought it to my home. (He said it was fine...that he had "bumped" it moving it in the van.) And of late the machine seems to have developed an intermittent "whine" at night when I am using it. (Normally it is very quiet, but the "whine" is quite annoying and seems to be waking me up)

Blower hours are 248 and machine hours are 726. The blower hours corresponds very closely with the amount of time I have used it--about 8 hours daily for 30 days. The machine hours suggest about 90 days of usage. So it would seem the machine has had some use with others. Who knows maybe with someone would could not adapt to CPAP therapy. (I can't imagine why anyone would give up CPAP. It is really life changing. I feel better than I have in years even though my AHI is only averaging 4.31).

In one sense the prior use does not bother me, but I am concerned because my understanding from reading posts on the Board is that Medicare will not provide a replacement for 5 years, and the supplier said the equipment has a guarantee of 2 yrs. So I am exposed for that "gap" if there is a failure. So I want to make sure I have not gotten a recycled "lemon" that is going to go bad sooner than it should.

BillMar
Post Reply Post Reply
I would most definitely bring it to the attention of the DME especially if they are charging you for a new machine.
Post Reply Post Reply
If the machine has more hours than you could have possibly used, you were sold a used machine. If on top of that it is developing a disruptive noise problem I'd ask for an exchange. Someone reset the blower hours to deceive you that the machine was new, and never anticipated you would look in the forbidden clinician menu. Irritating to say the least. If had wanted a used machine you could have gotten one for a fraction of the cost on Craigslist.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-13-2015, 08:30 AM)BillMar Wrote: Everyone,

Thanks for input on my question. I have successfully gone into the clinicians menu following the instructions and am a little less suspicious, but still wonder what has gone on with the machine. It had a very tiny dent on the screen when the tech brought it to my home. (He said it was fine...that he had "bumped" it moving it in the van.) And of late the machine seems to have developed an intermittent "whine" at night when I am using it. (Normally it is very quiet, but the "whine" is quite annoying and seems to be waking me up)

Blower hours are 248 and machine hours are 726. The blower hours corresponds very closely with the amount of time I have used it--about 8 hours daily for 30 days. The machine hours suggest about 90 days of usage. So it would seem the machine has had some use with others. Who knows maybe with someone would could not adapt to CPAP therapy. (I can't imagine why anyone would give up CPAP. It is really life changing. I feel better than I have in years even though my AHI is only averaging 4.31).

In one sense the prior use does not bother me, but I am concerned because my understanding from reading posts on the Board is that Medicare will not provide a replacement for 5 years, and the supplier said the equipment has a guarantee of 2 yrs. So I am exposed for that "gap" if there is a failure. So I want to make sure I have not gotten a recycled "lemon" that is going to go bad sooner than it should.

BillMar

Per your original post, it was represented as new. Archangle is correct that blower hours can be reset; but not machine hours. So, you were given a machine that had 726-248=478 hours on it. That's not new.

I would insist on a new machine. DMEs lie when their lips are moving.

And, as you point out, it's a 2 year guarantee -- but, 5 years before Medicare will provide a new machine.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-13-2015, 08:30 AM)BillMar Wrote: Everyone,

BillMar

I called Resmed about the difference in hours on my machine (blower vs machine hours) and I was told by the technical support staff that every time you turn your machine off, it continues to run for at least an hour to cool down.

While I am still skeptical, Resmed wasn't the one that was going to lose anything by telling me this and I did put my hand to the hose and did feel a very slight air flow.

I would think that if your machine breaks and it costs more to repair it after it is out of warranty, that your insurance company would help you get another one since it is life threatening not to have treatment. I don't know b/c insurance companies and the medical field is now so upside down that it is difficult to get good care now.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Sad [Treatment] 10 Months In and Still Waking Up After 4 to 5 Hours Burnsy 3 289 03-14-2024, 11:37 AM
Last Post: Burnsy
  Still Only Sleeping 4-5 Hours Most Nights AustinSV 5 253 03-12-2024, 08:49 PM
Last Post: Plmnb
  Big Gap In Readings - Hours of use too short an4g745 12 475 03-01-2024, 06:50 PM
Last Post: an4g745
  Total machine use hours? milogurd 1 278 02-03-2024, 04:00 PM
Last Post: Nightynite
  Why do I wake up after a few hours sleep? John Reston 6 493 01-28-2024, 02:56 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Question Consistently Waking Up After ~3 Hours on CPAP sammyg7241 2 439 01-20-2024, 04:16 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
Question [CPAP] Consistently Waking Up After 3 Hours on CPAP sammyg7241 2 529 01-11-2024, 01:24 AM
Last Post: Expat31

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.