Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

New apnea diagnosis
New apnea diagnosis
I just had my sleep study and have not yet met with a pulmonology doctor for the official diagnosis of sleep apnea or type of sleep apnea.  However, I am assured such a diagnosis is forthcoming. My in-home oxygen overnight study through use of the finger sensor was read by my internist who read out my low oxygen numbers to me. I don't remember the actual numbers but he said they were sufficiently low as to be dangerous. Then, the overnight sleep study tech told me the same thing though he declined specifics. He said I was a "6 on a scale of 1-10". I expect to hear any day from the MD who will read my charts.

With all of that in mind I'm wondering what the next steps will entail. I'm told respiration therapists are a thing of the past. I assume my internist, who ordered the overnight sleep study, will refer me to a pulmonologist who will then issue a prescription for a device.  At that point how will I proceed? Will there be contact with a device provider by telephone, Internet? Will I be given options on device to use? If I choose one device and find it to be a poor match for my personal profile will I be able to exchange, or swap out, that device for another?

Maybe all of this will soon become crystal clear. Right now it's a huge mystery.

Thank you to anyone interested enough to respond to this plea.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: New apnea diagnosis
Typically your prescribing doctor will forward your prescription to a Durable medical equipment provider (DME).
Once insurance gives their approval, the DME will then contact you to set up an appointment to pickup a machine and fit you for a mask. You usually have a trial period of a couple of weeks to a month on your mask to be certain it works for you. Be sure to get the name of your DME from the presribing doctor and stay in contact with them else you slip through the cracks. Be patient and have a good attitude.
Jesse

Post Reply Post Reply
They (the supplier called a DME) will call you to set up an appt.

Tell the pulmonologist you want an APAP, an auto machine that adjusts as needed. And data capable so both you and the doc can see how treatment is going.

This means you'd want the ResMed Airsense 10 Autoset or the Phillips Respironics Dreamstation Auto. There are others out there but these two are the most popular among users.

Go visit our wiki
http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki

Check out the acronyms/abbreviations
http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php?title=Acronyms

Read through the forum here.

And ask questions.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
And yes, you do have options, you ultimately are in charge of your health. there are a lot of resources at the top of this page. I encourage you to start browsing this website. And follow the links under moderators posts.
Jesse

Post Reply Post Reply
Many thanks.

Many thanks.
Post Reply Post Reply
My referral was to a sleep care centre whose agent is a respiratory therapist.  In my case, the therapist fitted me and set up my loaner machine to use for a month.  She monitored my progress and adjusted the machine as I went along.  In the end, I needed only straight PAP, and opted to purchase a machine limited to that purpose.
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome. I too am new to this and also a fellow Tarheel. My internist ordered my machine for me. I too was confused about this process and that is why this board is so helpful. The others are correct in that an MD will send an order to a durable medical equipment provider (DME) that works with your insurance assuming you have insurance. They should contact you and setup a time to come get training and a machine. Mine was picked for me by the DME. They also kind of picked the mask for me based on recommendations from the sleep study. A big part of my anxiety was simply not knowing what machine I would get, what mask I'd get, etc. It has mostly worked out fine. I think the key is to learn as much as possible so you know what to ask and when something doesn't seem right what to look for or whom to contact for assistance.
Post Reply Post Reply
Great info. Thanks for sharing.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi HD Fry, WELCOME! to the forum.!
Hopefully, you will hear from your doc, soon.
Good luck as you start your sleep apnea journey.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Trish, appreciate it!
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New to Diagnosis. Looking for advice and have concerns re: my data bitteroblivion 4 168 04-04-2024, 10:16 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  [Diagnosis] WatchPAT sleep apena diagnosis low AHI higher RDI. Need advice godiego 24 3,705 04-04-2024, 01:20 PM
Last Post: godiego
  Invisalign to help sleep apnea and dental extractions as a cause of sleep apnea SingleH 10 770 03-24-2024, 07:00 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  UARS diagnosis? No improvements on CPAP. What Bilevel machine to get and where? empiricismandstatistics 8 262 03-21-2024, 04:29 AM
Last Post: empiricismandstatistics
  Diagnosis question Timlondonparis 3 226 03-18-2024, 11:11 AM
Last Post: Timlondonparis
  New diagnosis, Vauto on the way, some questions SBTApnea 12 832 03-15-2024, 01:18 PM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
Thumbsup [Diagnosis] Didn't know this existed. Hi! And diagnosis please smgemd 6 307 03-07-2024, 10:23 PM
Last Post: jcp519

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.